U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most transient?
CA 14 30.43%
FL 25 54.35%
GA 3 6.52%
Utah 0 0%
TX 2 4.35%
NC 2 4.35%
PA 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:50 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,254,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I've been here 20 years and that sounds right.

Ditto on what Jesse said about making friends with new people in LA.
People don't last long in Florida because they have very distorted expectations of real life here.
I've read it was 5 yrs. Close enough tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 08:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I read the average length of time a transplant lasts in Florida is 4 years.
I've been here 20 years and that sounds right.

Ditto on what Jesse said about making friends with new people in LA.
People don't last long in Florida because they have very distorted expectations of real life here.
Four years seems actually pretty long haha. But glad to know LA isn't the only place that does that. Maybe that's what gives us the "fake" or "shallow" stereotype? Idk. But I do know for a fact that native Angelenos (basically everyone I've grown up with) are not shallow or fake at all. It's always the ones from the midwest or south that move there that perpetuate the stereotype. They think it's how they have to act to fit in, so the stereotype never dies. It's always transplants discussing some new restaurant opening up in Silverlake or WeHo and they're always the ones who talk crap about the San Fernando Valley. People actually from LA couldn't care less what knew restaurant is opening in Silverlake that will have 2 hour wait to pay $25 for hipster food, and we'll also gladly go hang out with friends and family in the SFV because they probably have a pool and the Mexican food is great "over the hill." And while natives acknowledge "the industry" as a big part of LA life, we don't idolize it like the transplants do.

I know Miami has that "fake" and "shallow" stereotype as well, but is the situation similar to LA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
There are also loads of people who move to Florida from the northeast/midwest to escape cold and then realize that the state is actually batpoop crazy and has high crime, no seasons, crap public schools and is more of a vacation spot than a living spot and move home....or, as it turns out "half-way" home to NC and Georgia.
Yeah I just figured a lot of them were families and families tend to not move around as much as young people without families or anything tying them down. Interesting that a lot move up to NC and GA FROM FL too. I just figured a lot of the northerners moving to GA or NC just go there first. Wasn't aware a lot go to FL and then halfway up north for slight seasons, lower crime, and better schools.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Four years seems actually pretty long haha. But glad to know LA isn't the only place that does that. Maybe that's what gives us the "fake" or "shallow" stereotype? Idk. But I do know for a fact that native Angelenos (basically everyone I've grown up with) are not shallow or fake at all. It's always the ones from the midwest or south that move there that perpetuate the stereotype.
Most cities have their hip, transplant-full neighborhoods, but that doesn't reflect upon the entire state. Except for maybe the "fake" or "shallow" stereotype (replace with "pretentious") you could write almost the same about NYC (transplants flocking to hip spots and dissing non-hip "native" areas). Sure, California has lots of transplants but it's not to the level of Florida. The southern third to half of the state has mostly grown in the last thirty years had a tiny population in 1960; so many were born elsewhere. Add in people who come for the weather and then leave, it's rather transisent.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 7,418,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
There are also loads of people who move to Florida from the northeast/midwest to escape cold and then realize that the state is actually batpoop crazy and has high crime, no seasons, crap public schools and is more of a vacation spot than a living spot and move home....or, as it turns out "half-way" home to NC and Georgia.
I live in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes region and I know scores of people who moved to Florida, but also to South Carolina, Georgia, etc. and moved back after a relatively short time. A lot of people take for granted the quality of life factors that we enjoy here and focus only on the weather from December-March. I'm not saying you can't have a good quality of life in those other states, but if you move somewhere only thinking of not having to shovel snow or drive on icy roads a few days out of the year and then get there and realize that you left everyone that you know and love behind, didn't realize what a relatively easy commute you had to go to work, didn't realize how like minded the people were back home, etc., etc., etc. then you are probably not going to be very happy in the long run. Weather matters, but it isn't the only factor for having a good life, especially considering that almost every place has some really nice weather some of the time. I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else but Michigan from April-December, so why move for three lousy months?

I realize I don't speak for everyone, but based on the number of people I know personally who have moved somewhere warmer and moved right back, I'd say there are at least some people who feel the same way that I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.