U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:46 PM

56,765 posts, read 81,102,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse fits all of that criteria. When I say that, I'm talking about the metros. Smaller areas in Upstate NY like Binghamton and Auburn may work as well.

With the bigger areas, you have college areas and Downtowns that have the events/cultural needs you are looking for, the housing prices, good school districts, international airports and more.

I'd say to look into school districts like Amherst Central, Sweet Home and Williamsville Central in the Buffalo area; Brighton, West Irondequoit and perhaps Rush-Henrietta in the Rochester area and Jamesville-DeWitt and perhaps Liverpool in the Syracuse area. All are suburban school district that have good schools and at least a "notable" degree of cultural diversity. There may be other school districts that may work. You may even be able to live in select areas of the cities and get into the better public schools or go with charter or private schools.

As for the airports, I believe that Rochester and Buffalo have lower rates than Syracuse.

In terms of overall cost of living, they are all essentially around the national average. I'd say that in terms of the 3 areas, I'd say it goes Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester.

With the smaller areas mentioned, in the Binghamton area, Vestal and perhaps parts of Maine-Endwell, Union-Endicott and Johnson City would/could work in terms of school districts. They have minor league baseball and it is an hour or so south of Syracuse, an hour from Scranton and about 2 and a half/3 hours from NYC and Philadelphia.

Auburn has minor league baseball and has a Black population that makes up about 10% of the city, that helped settle the city. It is about 30-35 minutes west of Syracuse and about 40-50 minutes east of Rochester. Ithaca is about 40-50 minutes to the south. It is also just north of Owasco Lake, which is one of the Finger Lakes. Schools are pretty solid and there are private options from Pre K-12.

I totally forgot that this area has minor league baseball, but the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area would also work. They have a team in Troy and has all of the other cultural offerings. It has mountains and water nearby. COL is a little bit higher than the other Upstate NY areas mentioned. In terms of school districts, I'd look into North Colonie, South Colonie, Guilderland, Saratoga Springs and Niskayuna. Again, select city neighborhoods may work.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more suggestions.
This may help too: Property Search Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 18,099 times
There are a lot of good suggestions on this list, and my wife and I are going to start looking into all of them, after which we'll share our thoughts/findings. We're so appreciative of the time that folks take to share their wisdom!

A couple of things:

1) One thing that we know makes it difficult for us is that our list of "needs" is long, especially given our more limited financial ability, but nonetheless they really are "needs" and not "wants". In light of that, I'm doubtful that some of the suggested places are ones where we can really get a single-family 3BR detached house for around $200k (especially one in a more rural setting and that doesn't need a serious amount of work). But the one thing we have going for us is that we're willing to trade proximity for value (i.e., we don't need to be right where things are). Also, diversity is really important to us as we raise our 3-month old, so places like Scituate (98% white), while beautiful, just won't work. We don't have a hard and fast idea of what "diversity" means, but when you get above 95% white, it's hard to see it as diverse.

2) I mentioned that we've lived previously in Asheville/Black Mountain NC and Montgomery AL. Separately, we've lived in Somerville and Boston MA, Westchester NY, Middletown CT, Boulder CO, and Ft. Walton FL, just to give you an idea on our perspective. My wife loved Ft. Walton, but she's the first to admit that there's not much going on there if you're not into the beach (and while I like the outdoors, it's more from a hiking/trails perspective). And the urban places I've lived before would be unattractive for my wife. Montgomery had some things going for it (it has a really nice minor league team and a decent amount of cultural options), but the crime problem, distance from water, and ultra-conservative/religious bent ultimately drove us away.

3) The "similar thread" that was mentioned ("The East Coast's the limit") was in fact my thread, written prior to us narrowing down and adjusting our "needs" list somewhat. It had been a good while since I had posted that thread, so I thought it would help to start fresh with a cleaner list.

4) Because being near a minor league team is so important, I've got a list of all the cities on the East Coast that have teams, and we tried to start our search from that perspective. Of course, we don't have to live exactly where the team is; we're willing to drive a bit to see a game, but probably not more than 30 minutes. Also, and this is going to sound really choosy, I think the team has to be at least a full-season minor league team; short-season A ball probably won't cut it for us (and if I were being totally honest, I strongly prefer AA or higher).

Thanks again, and I'll be sharing our followup within the next week or so!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollo02 View Post
There are a lot of good suggestions on this list, and my wife and I are going to start looking into all of them, after which we'll share our thoughts/findings. We're so appreciative of the time that folks take to share their wisdom!

A couple of things:

1) One thing that we know makes it difficult for us is that our list of "needs" is long, especially given our more limited financial ability, but nonetheless they really are "needs" and not "wants". In light of that, I'm doubtful that some of the suggested places are ones where we can really get a single-family 3BR detached house for around $200k (especially one in a more rural setting and that doesn't need a serious amount of work). But the one thing we have going for us is that we're willing to trade proximity for value (i.e., we don't need to be right where things are). Also, diversity is really important to us as we raise our 3-month old, so places like Scituate (98% white), while beautiful, just won't work. We don't have a hard and fast idea of what "diversity" means, but when you get above 95% white, it's hard to see it as diverse.

2) I mentioned that we've lived previously in Asheville/Black Mountain NC and Montgomery AL. Separately, we've lived in Somerville and Boston MA, Westchester NY, Middletown CT, Boulder CO, and Ft. Walton FL, just to give you an idea on our perspective. My wife loved Ft. Walton, but she's the first to admit that there's not much going on there if you're not into the beach (and while I like the outdoors, it's more from a hiking/trails perspective). And the urban places I've lived before would be unattractive for my wife. Montgomery had some things going for it (it has a really nice minor league team and a decent amount of cultural options), but the crime problem, distance from water, and ultra-conservative/religious bent ultimately drove us away.

3) The "similar thread" that was mentioned ("The East Coast's the limit") was in fact my thread, written prior to us narrowing down and adjusting our "needs" list somewhat. It had been a good while since I had posted that thread, so I thought it would help to start fresh with a cleaner list.

4) Because being near a minor league team is so important, I've got a list of all the cities on the East Coast that have teams, and we tried to start our search from that perspective. Of course, we don't have to live exactly where the team is; we're willing to drive a bit to see a game, but probably not more than 30 minutes. Also, and this is going to sound really choosy, I think the team has to be at least a full-season minor league team; short-season A ball probably won't cut it for us (and if I were being totally honest, I strongly prefer AA or higher).

Thanks again, and I'll be sharing our followup within the next week or so!
Just curious, but which areas are you doubtful about?

Also, when you say rural, does it have to be rural to the point of farms or is it more about a matter of space/distance?

In terms of diversity, if the school district in terms of student enrollment fits the criteria, would that work? For instance, I'll use one of the districts I mentioned in Onondaga Central. Its student enrollment is about 10% Black, about 4-5% Native American, about 2-3% Hispanic and 1-2% Asian, but has areas of the district that are very rural and aren't too far from Syracuse. Ironically, the most famous alumni of this school are 2 African Americans that play/played in the NFL recently(Mike Hart-Colts and Latavius Murray-Raiders), along with David Muir of ABC's World News Tonight. So, could a school district like that work?

Old 11-15-2015, 02:49 PM

641 posts, read 544,793 times
Dude. Just upgrade your quality of life and move to TX. Your paradise is in the Houston metro. Diverse. Can get a nice house at tht price point. Stay closer to the gulf to be within 30 mins. Baseball, check. We play baseball in t shirts in November here (Dallas). Im sure they do the same in Houston.

It meets everything on your list besides its region

Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
After reading the original post again, some school districts with a more rural feel in Upstate NY that would/could work are Onondaga Central and LaFayette in the Syracuse area; Newfield and perhaps Lansing in the Ithaca area; Lyons, Clyde-Savannah, Newark, Sodus, Brockport, Wheatland-Chili, Albion, Medina and parts of Churchville-Chili in the Rochester area; parts of Niagara-Wheatfield, Akron Central, Evans-Brant(Lake View), Silver Creek, Gowanda and maybe a portion of Lockport City in/near the Buffalo area; Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk and perhaps Chatham in/near the Albany area. You have rural parts of school districts like Rome City, Cortland City, Geneva City and Batavia City that still put you within minutes of the criteria mentioned.

Some of these districts could have relatively notable Native American student populations. Some may have some Black, Asian and/or Hispanic students as well. For instance, Native Americans make up about 25-30% of LaFayette schools, with a sprinkle of Black and Hispanic students or in the Geneva City SD Black and Hispanic students make up about 40-45% of the students. So, some of these districts may work too.
This may help in regards to school information too: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...+of+Buffalo%29

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...statehome.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...profiles1.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...testats15.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...testats01.html

Old 11-19-2015, 09:20 AM

29,957 posts, read 27,459,781 times
I'd look into the NC Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem; both have minor league baseball teams) and Columbia, SC (a minor league team is coming to the city and it already has a great college baseball team playing in a relatively new ballpark) areas.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 12,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Any of the blue collar towns in NJ like Bergenfield, Delran, or Springfield.
I agree with these recommendations. I live in Hackensack, NJ and I think my town (and many other towns in the area, such as Bergenfield) fit pretty much all of the qualifications.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 PM

19 posts, read 18,099 times
Postscript: I'm so grateful to all the folks on city-data for giving us lots of different cities to examine. Without responding to each suggestion (which would take a long time), I can just say generally that we've not yet been able to find a spot that works for us, although some places have come close. Usually it's either the place is too far from a large body of water, or too conservative, or too expensive (i.e., there are homes in the $250k price range but they require a lot of work or are too small), or too overcast/cold, or lacking in good schools. Honestly, our list is just impossible: it has too many things that conflict with each other, especially given our price limitations. But we're soldiering on nonetheless.

The latest place I'm examining is Lancaster PA, which might be *just* close enough to a very large lake (a little less than an hour) to pass that part of the test at least, and it has good schools plus baseball and other amenities. Portland ME is still in the mix too, and I think we'd probably be there already if it wasn't for the cold/snow issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:23 AM

What about Millcreek Township outside of Erie PA? It fits the school aspect in terms of academic performance and is diverse enough. It is about 90 minutes from Cleveland's airport. It is on/near Lake Erie. Erie has AA Baseball, with occasional trips to AAA and ML Baseball not to far away in Buffalo and Cleveland. There are lectures at the Jefferson Educational Society and a little further away at the Chautauqua Institute on Chautauqua Lake near Jamestown NY. There's also the Erie Philharmonic Symphony and the Erie Playhouse for plays/theater. There are colleges such as Gannon, Mercyhurst, Edinboro and Penn State-Erie in the area that may also have relevant events.

Perhaps select Erie City Schools elementary schools may work as well(Harding, Connell, Cleveland and Jefferson).

Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM

5,711 posts, read 3,665,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollo02 View Post
Needs
-------

- Low crime rates (including property crime).

- Somewhere with a rural feel (where houses are far apart), but only 30 minutes or so from cultural events like plays, music (folk, world, classical), talks/lectures, vegetarian food options, etc. It's the access to cultural events that conflicts the most with a number of the other "needs" on this list.

- Within 90 minutes of at least a regional airport with commercial carriers.

- Within 30 minutes of a) a body of water that allows swimming; and b) quiet nature (where you won't hear highway or other road noise).

- Somewhere where it's affordable to purchase a 3BR single-family detached home for around $200,000. We know this potentially conflicts with a number of items on the "needs" list.

- Within 30 minutes of a professional baseball team (minor leagues preferable).

- At least somewhat diverse (i.e., not 95% white)

- Progressive would be ideal, but at least not very conservative/religious.

- Quality schools at the elementary school level.

Unfortunately, your needs are in conflict with each other. Places that have plays and other cultural events and have minor league baseball and are diverse and progressive and near commercial airports tend to be cities, or college towns. Places that are rural and have large bodies of water for swimming and affordable housing tend to be non-diverse and conservative.

Within the region that I am familiar with, it seems to me that Frederick, MD has a good deal of what you're looking for, including its own minor league team, a good arts and restaurant scene, a somewhat diverse population, and reasonable proximity to the airports of Baltimore and Washington. But I think that housing affordability is going to be an issue. Maybe you'd be willing to look to the north or west of town (e.g. Myersville or Thurmont, MD) for more affordable housing and closer to another minor league team (in Hagerstown); but then you're going to run into the issue of lack of diversity.

If you wanted to be within an hour to an hour and a half's drive of SEVEN (count 'em, seven!) minor league teams (Frederick Keys, Hagerstown Suns, Aberdeen Ironbirds, York Revolution, Bowie Baysox, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, and Delmarva Shorebirds) as well as two major league teams (Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals); and if you want diversity, good schools, progressiveness, and cultural amenities . . . your perfect spot is right next door to my house in Ellicott City, MD. But you can forget about affordability, space between houses, and swimmable bodies of water (unless you're allowed to swim in the Chesapeake Bay, which I'm not sure of).

Life is full of trade-offs. It sounds to me like you're going to need to make some of your own too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.