U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 AM

23,560 posts, read 17,544,804 times

Advertisements

I really like Portland - only been there on vacation but an awesome little city. There are several lakes in WNC - Lake Junaluska, Lure, James.

Surprised that didn't fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
If you don't mind a village outside of a bigger city, this place fits most of the criteria: Village of Brockport, NY
Brockport, NY Community Videos - Welcome

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...=41&CS=B259529

https://www.nothnagle.com/Properties...1000&RS=50&P=1

Brockport Central School District
Its superintendent: Our District

https://www.brockport.edu

Also, in terms of snowfall, places that get a lot of snow on average usually are able to clear its snow in a timely manner due to having the proper equipment.

Another thing is that snowfall averages vary within a metro area. So, using Buffalo as an example, its higher snowfall averages are south of the city or in the case of the Syracuse area, north of the city. That may be another thing to keep in mind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-23-2017 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,483,525 times
I was going to suggest somewhere in CT, like Fairfield, but a small house is going to be 400-500k..

Old 01-23-2017, 10:17 AM

8,719 posts, read 7,673,512 times
Why do people want to live on the east coast? I really don't get the hype. Overrated.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:37 PM

1,560 posts, read 628,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollo02 View Post
My wife and I continue the never-ending search for a place on the East Coast that fits our admittedly-extensive-and-conflicting criteria, and folks on this board have been helpful in giving us places to examine, so I thought I'd try once again based on our last move and what we now know (and we now have a 3-month old that I'm sure would like us to figure this out). I've also narrowed our list a bit (believe it or not):

Needs
-------

- Low crime rates (including property crime).

- Somewhere with a rural feel (where houses are far apart), but only 30 minutes or so from cultural events like plays, music (folk, world, classical), talks/lectures, vegetarian food options, etc. It's the access to cultural events that conflicts the most with a number of the other "needs" on this list.

- Within 90 minutes of at least a regional airport with commercial carriers.

- Within 30 minutes of a) a body of water that allows swimming; and b) quiet nature (where you won't hear highway or other road noise).

- Somewhere where it's affordable to purchase a 3BR single-family detached home for around $200,000. We know this potentially conflicts with a number of items on the "needs" list.

- Within 30 minutes of a professional baseball team (minor leagues preferable).

- At least somewhat diverse (i.e., not 95% white)

- Progressive would be ideal, but at least not very conservative/religious.

- Quality schools at the elementary school level.

Our prior residences
-----------------------

Last year, we tried out renting in Asheville/Black Mountain for 4 months, as it's a place that in theory fits a lot of our needs. Besides the fact that house prices were really out of our range, the distance from water was an issue for my wife. Prior to that, we lived in Montgomery AL, which was okay until the crime started to spiral out of control (and it's not close to water either).

Places we've considered
----------------------------

- Fayetteville and Little Rock, AR: concerned about the crime rates, esp. in Little Rock.
- Peachtree City or Decatur, GA: these are "compromise picks", in that they don't excite us but they do meet a number of the criteria above and it has low crime rates.
- Portland, ME: we like Portland a lot, but a) it's very white and b) we're not certain we can find an affordable place outside the city that's still close by.
- Northampton, MA: we like it, but it's not close to water. We're also not sure about affordability.
- Burlington and Middlebury, VT: although we really like these places in theory we determined it's just too cold in the winter and the winter lasts too long.
- Ithaca, NY: too expensive
- Takoma Park, MD: we can't afford it, and it's a bit too urban

The "south town" suburbs of Buffalo, NY fit everything you listed except they tend to be 90-95% white. And their winters might be longer than you like

Here are 2 towns to consider They both are suburbs of Buffalo. They have a walkable urban "village" in the center of town and outside of the village you have subdivisions and farm or agricultural area. 20minutes to down town Buffalo, airport, good schools, near water.

here is buffalo, ny (these 2 below towns are part of the region and Buffalo has most of the cultural and regional things but the towns themselves have plenty) You can be in the country, town or city very easily.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo%2C_New_York

Hamubrg (Hamburg is also directly on lake erie)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg%2C_New_York

and here is East Aurora. East Aurora is a super cool little town that has actually been the filming location for a few recent "Christmas special" network movies. I forget what they are called but they were all filmed on location in East Aurora.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Aurora,_New_York

Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 AM

33 posts, read 17,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse fits all of that criteria. When I say that, I'm talking about the metros. Smaller areas in Upstate NY like Binghamton and Auburn may work as well.
I was going to suggest these. Rochester was going to be my main suggestion, but Syracuse is my runner up. Binghamton does have a minor league baseball and hockey team, but I wasn't sure if Syracuse or Rochester had baseball.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie_Furnishr View Post
I was going to suggest these. Rochester was going to be my main suggestion, but Syracuse is my runner up. Binghamton does have a minor league baseball and hockey team, but I wasn't sure if Syracuse or Rochester had baseball.
Both Syracuse and Rochester have International League(AAA) Baseball. Both also have communities near these cities that are culturally diverse enough and have good schools. Brockport is actually about 20 minutes west of Rochester.

I will say that if the OP is interested in these areas, I would say to look into the Amherst Central SD in the Buffalo area, the Brighton SD in the Rochester area and the Jamesville-DeWitt SD in the Syracuse area. All 3 are very similar in terms of being high quality districts, they have visible amounts of Jewish/Black/Asian and a few Hispanic students/residents, they have a strong affiliation with colleges/universities and medical industry in those areas due to their proximity and all have walkable pockets/sections with an "old money" look/feel. They are also by arguably the nicest sections of those cities and there are others that could work as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-08-2017 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Both Syracuse and Rochester have International League(AAA) Baseball. Both also have communities near these cities that are culturally diverse enough and have good schools. Brockport is actually about 20 minutes west of Rochester.

I will say that if the OP is interested in these areas, I would say to look into the Amherst Central SD in the Buffalo area, the Brighton SD in the Rochester area and the Jamesville-DeWitt SD in the Syracuse area. All 3 are very similar in terms of being high quality districts, they have visible amounts of Jewish/Black/Asian and a few Hispanic students/residents, they have a strong affiliation with colleges/universities and medical industry in those areas due to their proximity and all have walkable pockets/sections with an "old money" look/feel. They are also by arguably the nicest sections of those cities and there are others that could work as well.
Some homes within the price range in those 3 school districts: https://www.nothnagle.com/Properties...BH=1&RS=50&P=1

School district information: Jamesville Dewitt School District

Brighton Central School District

Amherst Central Schools

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-09-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie_Furnishr View Post
In the Binghamton area, this is a district that could work: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Vestal Central School District Home (Again, a visible amount of Jewish and Asian, with a few Black and Hispanic students/residents)

There are others in that area that may work as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-09-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why do people want to live on the east coast? I really don't get the hype. Overrated.
Thankfully, we're all different with varying likes and dislikes as I find the west coast overrated and over-hyped....as do many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.