U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:58 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,745,743 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque:
I like the culture, food, and lack of pretention. By comparison, culturally speaking, the Twin cities and Denver are largely interchangeable. (Both are more or less Middle America). Also, I live in New York City for part of the year so I can get my opera fix there if going up to Santa Fe isn't cutting it.

Denver:
I have always had a generally good impression of Denver, but lately, despite its surge in popularity, it sounds like the negatives are beginning to outweigh the positives especially in terms of cost of living. If I am going to have a cost of living that is 85% of a world city, I want to live in a city that offers at least 85% of what a world city can. I applaud Colorado's independant and entrepreneurial spirit, though (cannabis).

Minneapolis:
Also one of America's best cities, but I'd rather live in Duluth. Minneaoplis's constant accolades are starting to make some of the residents as smug as people from San rancisco were in the 80s and 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 AM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Minneapolis:
Also one of America's best cities, but I'd rather live in Duluth. Minneaoplis's constant accolades are starting to make some of the residents as smug as people from San rancisco were in the 80s and 90s.
nonsense, we are way more smug than San Francisco could ever dream about

Old 11-09-2015, 09:39 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,943,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Here's how I rank them:

Colorado (Denver/Boulder)
Minnesota (Twin Cities)
New Mexico (Albuquerque)

Winter in Colorado can occasionally be cold, but the average daytime high never falls below 40 degrees. Days with highs in the 50s and 60s and even the occasional 70 are not uncommon in December, January, and February. Not a lot in the way of lakes here, but there's plenty of pine forest in the foothills and mountains. Speaking of the mountains - nothing beats the summit of a 13er or 14er on a bluebird summer day. Only drawback is the COL is going up rapidly here.

Minnesota has plenty of lakes and forest land, but the topography cannot compare to the Rockies. The winters there suck. The sky is routinely gray and the temps are cold enough for snow to stick on the ground for months on end. Summers in the Upper Midwest are no picnic, either. Highs in the mid-upper 80s with humidity around 45-55%.

Albuquerque is nice. Lower COL than Denver, but it's smaller and doesn't have the breadth of amenities that either Denver or the Twin Cities have. No 14ers, either.
Daytime highs never fall below 40? Uhhh, depends on where in CO you live. I was just in La Junta a few weeks back and it was close to 40 degrees as a high already! Back in MN it was in the 70s.

And in all fairness, winters in MN can be gray, but not nearly as bad as you think. I believe the winter sunshine percentage was 50-60%, which is only a few percentage pts away from NM and CO. Granted, NM has a much milder winter. CO winter's suck, IMO. If its gonna be winter, might as well be cold and provide winter sports. In CO you dont really get that luxury. Itll snow like a mutha one day, then be in the 50s the next. Then, while the rest of the country is warming up, CO is getting howling winds and blizzard-like conditions. I remember a few years ago the USA vs Costa Rica World Cup qualifier at Mile High/Invesco. While the rest of the country was wearing shorts, people in CO were in a blizzard. CO winters last too long, and are full of "teaser" warm weather, which gets people all happy, then the temps plummet the next day, and an snow storm hits. The best thing about CO weather is the air is dry in summer, which I prefer over humidity.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,530,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Daytime highs never fall below 40? Uhhh, depends on where in CO you live. I was just in La Junta a few weeks back and it was close to 40 degrees as a high already! Back in MN it was in the 70s.

And in all fairness, winters in MN can be gray, but not nearly as bad as you think. I believe the winter sunshine percentage was 50-60%, which is only a few percentage pts away from NM and CO. Granted, NM has a much milder winter. CO winter's suck, IMO. If its gonna be winter, might as well be cold and provide winter sports. In CO you dont really get that luxury. Itll snow like a mutha one day, then be in the 50s the next. Then, while the rest of the country is warming up, CO is getting howling winds and blizzard-like conditions. I remember a few years ago the USA vs Costa Rica World Cup qualifier at Mile High/Invesco. While the rest of the country was wearing shorts, people in CO were in a blizzard. CO winters last too long, and are full of "teaser" warm weather, which gets people all happy, then the temps plummet the next day, and an snow storm hits. The best thing about CO weather is the air is dry in summer, which I prefer over humidity.
I wear shorts to work most days in winter here in CO. Sunny most days here in winter time.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,943,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I wear shorts to work most days in winter here in CO. Sunny most days here in winter time.
I dont even wear shorts in the winter in Phoenix. You must be cold blooded.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I dont even wear shorts in the winter in Phoenix. You must be cold blooded.
I have been told that

Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,382 times
Literally every single time Minneapolis shows up in a vs thread someone from one of the other cities who has never spent a winter here chimes in with "no, I promise you don't want to live in Minneapolis, it's too cold there you'll hate it" because it's something they've heard and it's an EASY way to shut down Minneapolis and make their city look better in comparison, not because it's actually a criticism that has any merit at all. This happens LITERALLY every singe time, I have LITERALLY never seen a thread where this doesn't happen.

There doesn't need to be ANOTHER extended conversation about this. Like I'm sorry if you came here in January once and it was -30 and cloudy, but the reality is that hardly ever happens, and when it does, it's also happening in Chicago and Detroit and Boston and it's probably also an exceptionally cold day in Denver and Dallas and Atlanta too.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Well if you like consistent weather you won't get it in Denver. Snowed 4 inches yesterday. Today nearly all melted and sunny in the 60s. Should be balmy and sunny rest of the week.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Literally every single time Minneapolis shows up in a vs thread someone from one of the other cities who has never spent a winter here chimes in with "no, I promise you don't want to live in Minneapolis, it's too cold there you'll hate it" because it's something they've heard and it's an EASY way to shut down Minneapolis and make their city look better in comparison, not because it's actually a criticism that has any merit at all. This happens LITERALLY every singe time, I have LITERALLY never seen a thread where this doesn't happen.

There doesn't need to be ANOTHER extended conversation about this. Like I'm sorry if you came here in January once and it was -30 and cloudy, but the reality is that hardly ever happens, and when it does, it's also happening in Chicago and Detroit and Boston and it's probably also an exceptionally cold day in Denver and Dallas and Atlanta too.
For me it's not the extremes - it's the everyday cold, and on an typical January day M-SP is almost 20 degrees colder than Denver. That's a fact.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM

No direct MSP correlation but went to college in Madison, WI. I can tell you it's colder there than CO.

In Madison felt like I was stuck indoors most of winter. Here in CO I feel most weekends in winter I can go fishing or even play volleyball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or