U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM
 
41 posts, read 34,221 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

One good thing about Minneapolis is that residents really embrace their cold with activities like nordic (cross country) skiing, etc. People of Minneapolis are some of the fittest in the USA. Be that as it may, the city is not very interesting, it's just very livable. Which is not a great selling point. For a cold weather city that's interesting, see Montreal (I know, it's in Canada). I believe the winters in Montreal are about the same as Minneapolis. In Minnesota I definitely like Duluth better, her beautiful setting on the lake, the nearby ski slopes, and the local (and very university fueled) culture.

As far as Denver, it's nothing interesting either. It has a great sports scene, easy access to some of the best skiing in the USA, and fairly ok weather. But none of that is the city of Denver, more what Denver built itself around (except the sports scene).

New Mexico is the hipster choice in this equation. A poorer and more cultured Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloWolf View Post

New Mexico is the hipster choice in this equation. A poorer and more cultured Colorado.
What's hipster about New Mexico? I've heard NM called a lot of things, but certainly not hipster. It's not exactly on the radar of most millennials. Have you been to Denver lately? They got more hipsters than they know what to do with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,377 posts, read 1,194,242 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
What's hipster about New Mexico? I've heard NM called a lot of things, but certainly not hipster. It's not exactly on the radar of most millennials. Have you been to Denver lately? They got more hipsters than they know what to do with.
Same with Minneapolis; it's essentially the Midwestern equivalent.

I've heard Santa Fe is a pretty big hipster hot spot these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

I've heard Santa Fe is a pretty big hipster hot spot these days.
Hmm... let me analogize a Santa Fe transplant. Middle aged woman from LA, NY or Dallas, dropping out of the corporate rate race, recently divorced, has a new spiritual path towards enlightenment, moves to Santa Fe to open up an art gallery or a yoga studio (called spirit sisters) and instructs meditation classes. I kid (or maybe not ). Santa Fe attracts eclectic people for sure, but it's small and not very diverse, and it doesn't even really have a college presence. It's a boutique city that's popular with tourists for its art and history.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-12-2015 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 04:05 AM
 
41 posts, read 34,221 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
What's hipster about New Mexico? I've heard NM called a lot of things, but certainly not hipster. It's not exactly on the radar of most millennials. Have you been to Denver lately? They got more hipsters than they know what to do with.
The choice is hipster. New Mexico is poorer, less discovered but has more of an authentic culture than Colorado (because once upon a time, she was more populated and for longer). Kind of like a bad neighborhood on the edge of a city downtown becoming a magnate for hipsters and then gentrifying. Santa Fe for the win on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloWolf View Post
The choice is hipster. New Mexico is poorer, less discovered but has more of an authentic culture than Colorado (because once upon a time, she was more populated and for longer). Kind of like a bad neighborhood on the edge of a city downtown becoming a magnate for hipsters and then gentrifying. Santa Fe for the win on this.
Hmm, perhaps that's why Anthony Bourdain has filmed two shows in New Mexico and and none in Colorado. I understand the analogy, and this is a very unique state. Nonetheless when spending a Saturday night in downtown Denver it seems to have a wave and proliferation of hipsters on the street, where as Santa Fe or Albuquerque, not so much at the moment. This place is still pretty below the radar. I really don't see any need or demand for hipster infiltration and gentrification in places like Santa Fe, though Albuquerque has lots of possibilities (if one is very patient).

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-13-2015 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2015, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Hmm... let me analogize a Santa Fe transplant. Middle aged woman from LA, NY or Dallas, dropping out of the corporate rate race, recently divorced, has a new spiritual path towards enlightenment, moves to Santa Fe to open up an art gallery or a yoga studio (called spirit sisters) and instructs meditation classes. I kid (or maybe not ). Santa Fe attracts eclectic people for sure, but it's small and not very diverse, and it doesn't even really have a college presence. It's a boutique city that's popular with tourists for its art and history.
Well said. Santa Fe is not hipster at all. I NEVER got that vibe when I visited. In fact, I never even saw the stereotypical hipster image anywhere in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 03:43 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Reputation: 30796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
What's hipster about New Mexico? I've heard NM called a lot of things, but certainly not hipster. It's not exactly on the radar of most millennials. Have you been to Denver lately? They got more hipsters than they know what to do with.
Going someplace because there are a lot of hipsters is decidely non-hipster.

The lack of a hipster vibe in New Mexico is precisely what makes it appeal to hipsters. I say this as I sit in a coffeeshop in Albuquerque with wall-to-wall hipsters though, so don't be afraid to be as confused as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM
 
Location: The Springs
1,770 posts, read 2,137,928 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I wear shorts to work most days in winter here in CO. Sunny most days here in winter time.
Hope you don't plan wearing shorts tomorrow. Supposed to have up to a foot of snow, 40mph+ winds, wind chills in the 20's.

Here in CO we call that "Tuesday".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,524,043 times
Reputation: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Hope you don't plan wearing shorts tomorrow. Supposed to have up to a foot of snow, 40mph+ winds, wind chills in the 20's.

Here in CO we call that "Tuesday".
Nope. But like last weeks storm this one is fast moving. Should be out of the area by Tuesday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top