U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of the West for me
Seattle 3 13.04%
Portland 3 13.04%
San Francisco 2 8.70%
San Diego 2 8.70%
LA 2 8.70%
Bend, OR 0 0%
Napa Valley area 1 4.35%
Santa Barbara/Oxnard 2 8.70%
Vancouver, WA 1 4.35%
Olympia/Tacoma 3 13.04%
Eugene/Salem 2 8.70%
Sacramento/Redding 0 0%
Go work in a tiny/smaller town, make $$, and vacation/buy a 2nd property in the top 5 cities to enjoy on weeks off! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:00 PM

565 posts, read 563,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Thank you so much for the information on Tacoma and Olympia. As I had admitted, don't know too much about the area.
I put them together as I thought perhaps they had somewhat of a similar feel being outside of Seattle - but as you have pointed out - maybe not too similar.

Would you live in Tacoma (170K) or Olympia (200K)?
I think either would work with those salaries. What type of vibe are you into? Both have nice downtowns. Olympia has a nicer crowd, smaller downtown, just kind of hippies floflotingating around, playing drums in the park kind of vibe. Very green, local sustainable (etc). Has some fun festivals and events and is an overall nice place. It feels smaller than Tacoma and feels a bit disconnected from the Seattle metro though very close by. I like it very much

Tacoma is it's own place. Has some great old architecture, beautiful scenery, abundant wildlife that contradicts the industrial feel, gives it balance. Has different neighborhoods too that one might find more fitting than the other. Some neighborhoods are not industrial at all but the rusting metal and factories have left a lasting mark on the city. Not in a bad way though. A bit higher crime than the average Washington city, but nothing too bad. Less than Oakland anyway, a somewhat comparable city. Not a very pretentious place (but lots going on), just a chill little city in a big world.

To answer your question though I would live in Tacoma. But it is my home and this city means a lot to me. I'm living here because I am connected to it.
For you, if you would prefer an urban environment, Tacoma will have more to offer. But downtown Olympia has all of the the elements of urbanity, just a smaller city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM

453 posts, read 732,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
You can count out Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco. Maybe even Santa Barbara. All four cities are not cheap to live in, and based on your opinion of great weather, I highly doubt you'd enjoy living in these cities, especially Los Angeles. You might want to consider Redding.
Thanks a lot Raven! I do like the Redding area - honestly the Shasta Trinity National Forest is one of the most underrated places in America in my opinion.

The draw back is the lack of a good city to visit with ease in that area - or am I wrong?

So you think Seattle and Portland are still in the equation...somewhat less expensive than the other three that you mention?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Ah, if it's 160k across the board for the top 5 cities then I think Seattle is your best bet among those. You pretty much get to maintain all the perks of Portland but in an even cooler city (imo ) with no state income tax. Will 160k suffice for Seattle's COL + your student loans? That's the question. Otherwise go for the 250k and experience a change in setting for awhile. That should allow you to appreciate the big city more when you do return.
Thanks for the advice! I do agree that Seattle is "cooler" than Portland - but I would rate the access to the airport and access to nature as easier in Portland than Seattle.

I dunno if the 160K would suffice for COL in Seattle and paying my student loans back.

I am leaning towards perhaps working in a small city and making a big dent in my loans rather than enjoying the perks of a bigger city...

But is this the time to buy real estate in both Seattle or Portland....I feel they are both booming!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:16 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
But is this the time to buy real estate in both Seattle or Portland....I feel they are both booming!
I agree. I help people invest in Real Estate in Jacksonville and have two clients/partners in Seattle, one in Vancouver and one in SF, who all find the market in those places a bit too prohibitive.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I agree. I help people invest in Real Estate in Jacksonville and have two clients/partners in Seattle, one in Vancouver and one in SF, who all find the market in those places a bit too prohibitive.

Does that mean they are investing?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:33 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Ah I misread the tone of your post. No, they do not invest there because it's too expensive for most and in some cases too scary as well.

There's definitely opportunity in those markets but you have to be very careful. It's easier elsewhere.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:00 AM

247 posts, read 170,228 times
What about Vancouver, BC (Canada)?

VC is a West Coast city of Canada, North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.