U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,117,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Really?

Germantown feels more hipster than NuLu. NuLu feels more yuppie than Germantown.
I'd say both could work. But like most cities/states, a few neighborhoods fit this.

NuLu would be like Williamsburg hipster. Germantown would be like regular hipster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 PM

218 posts, read 229,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
True haha. At this point Williamsburg is basically synonymous with Brooklyn though.
Nooooo only ignorant dummies not from NY think Williamsburg is synonymous with Brooklyn.

Only a small portion of Brooklyn can be considered fully gentrified and completely infested with Hipsters. U must of never been to Brooklyn.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:21 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,166,557 times
Yuck

Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,981,003 times
Yay! I live in the Brooklyn of Delaware! Time to go brag to my friends who live deep in the borough on Rogers Ave!

Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,271,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Nooooo only ignorant dummies not from NY think Williamsburg is synonymous with Brooklyn.

Only a small portion of Brooklyn can be considered fully gentrified and completely infested with Hipsters. U must of never been to Brooklyn.
This definitely isn't true. About half of Brooklyn has some degree of gentrification.

Have you ever been to Brooklyn? I can think of like three neighborhoods that haven't been touched by gentrification.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:08 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,271,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Most of Brooklyn has not gentrified thankfully. You still have Sunset Park, Bensonhurst and etc.

This should be the Hoboken of every state.
Sunset Park has tons of hipsters. Hoboken is basically the opposite of Williamsburg, so Hoboken wouldn't make sense.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,518,448 times
Here's my theory about hipsters:

Middle-class, urban, white culture exists on the punk/yuppie continuum. On one end, the punks attempt to challenge the status quo though rejecting material notions of success and embracing radical politics and a DIY mentality--whether or not this is successful is another issue. On the other hand, the yuppies support the status quo though their dedication to their institutional or corporate careers and frivolous consumption habits.

Hipsters insecurely inhabit the middle of this continuum. They tend to be 20-something suburbanites who envy the personal freedom of the punks and the economic freedom of the yuppies. This push-and-pull leads to an embrace of punk aesthetics (thrift-store clothes, underground music) and yuppie values (disposable consumerism) when the young hipster is fresh out of college and new to the city. However, the punk aesthetic is diluted as the hipster becomes more successful in his career. By his 30th birthday, the hipster will have become a full-blown yuppie. By his 35th birthday, his condo will be on the market, and he'll be posting to C-D looking for walkable suburbs with great schools, and people will suggest Oak Park, Illinois and Lakewood, Ohio.

Because of this continuum, it's hard to talk about hipsters in a general sense. Depending on where we live and whom we've met, we imagine different points on the continuum when we hear the word hipster; some of us of think about 21-year olds wearing a lime-green Salvation-Army cardigans, who go to indie shows at dive bars, and work entry-level office jobs hung-over on Monday mornings, while others think of the 30-year old yuppie who drives a Prius, listens to NPR, and uses toothpaste made from local fluoride, but still hangs on to that record player he bought ten-years ago.

This is why some of us think Williamsburg, while others think Sunset Park, Hoboken, or Bushwick.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-10-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 12:32 PM

218 posts, read 229,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This definitely isn't true. About half of Brooklyn has some degree of gentrification.

Have you ever been to Brooklyn? I can think of like three neighborhoods that haven't been touched by gentrification.
One-third of Brooklyn is hipsterfied at the most, definitely not half.

I can name tons of Brooklyn neighborhoods that havent been no where near being half way gentrified: Brownsville (predominatly lower class Black) , ENY (predominately lower class Black/Hispanic), Flatbush (predominantly working class Black), Canarsie (predominantly middle class Black), Crown Heights(predominately working class Black), Sunset Park(predominantly working class Hispanic), Coney Island(predominately wprking class white/black/hispanic), Bay Ridge(predominantly working class white/asian) to name a few... Bensonhurst, Sheepshead bay, Bergen beach are others.

Its only the northern & northwest portion of Brooklyn that been hit hard by gentrification those areas are mostly dominated by rich or middle class pretentious White Hipsters & yuppies, and even still Bed Stuy and Bushwick are still predominately working class Black & Hispanic. The southern & southwest portion of Brooklyn is mostly still a working class immigrant haven. And the eastern portion of Brooklyn is still one of the most dangerous & poorest parts of the whole NY metro area, its still ghetto as ever.

I used to live in Brooklyn not too long ago smart one.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:50 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,117,539 times
I've been to Brooklyn and I know exactly what I'm talking about. To me, Williamsburg and Brooklyn are NOT synonymous. To most people outside of this forum or unfamiliar with NYC, they think that all of Brooklyn is some hipster mecca. Pockets of it are, yes. And many of the neighborhoods that haven't turned into the new Williamsburg have still felt the effects of gentrification.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:12 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,827,350 times
Yay, I live in the "Brooklyn" of Seattle! Now I can die knowing that I came so close to living a New York lifestyle, which according to so many articles is the ultimate form of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or