U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,515,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm assuming you don't know Venice then. It's the birthplace of gangs in America basically. I grew up two neighborhoods from Venice and last place I lived before leaving LA was one neighborhood away. I grew up going to the Boardwalk with family, or driving through to go to Santa Monica. High school years we went to pretty ratchet house parties there. Even today there's still quite a bit of crime there. It has not been upper-middle class for that long. Besides the few pockets like along the canals and closest to the beach, it's been a ghetto for a long time.

The Mission wasn't a hold out for gentrification. It was the epicenter of gentrification. Good location and cheap housing. Same with Venice. Good location. Cheap housing (comparatively to other beach cities). Gangs ran Venice for a long time. The homeless still run parts of Venice and not until maybe last year but especially this year, the parts of Venice east of Lincoln had not been touched by gentrification.

Literally straight from Venice's Wiki page:

Los Angeles had neglected Venice so long that, by the 1950s, it had become the "Slum by the Sea." With the exception of new police and fire stations in 1930, the city spent little on improvements after annexation. The city did not pave Trolleyway (Pacific Avenue) until 1954 when county and state funds became available. Low rents for run-down bungalows attracted predominantly European immigrants (including a substantial number of Holocaust survivors) and young counterculture artists, poets, and writers. The Beat Generation hung out at the Gas House on Ocean Front Walk and at Venice West Cafe on Dudley. Police raids were frequent during that era."

The Venice Shoreline Crips and the Latino Venice 13 (V-13) are the two main gangs active in Venice. V13 dates back to the 1950s, while the Shoreline Crips were founded in the early 1970s, making them one of the first Crip sets in Los Angeles.

In the early 1990s V-13 and the Shoreline Crips were involved in a bloody, brutal war over crack cocaine sales territories.

While violence has decreased, they continue to remain active in Venice. By 2002, numbers of gang members in Venice were reduced due to gentrification and increased police presence. According to a Los Angeles City Beat article, by 2003, many Los Angeles Westside gang members resettled in the city of Inglewood.[8] Author John Brodie challenges the idea of gentrification causing change and commented "... the gunplay of the Shoreline Crips and the V-13 is as much a part of life in Venice as pit bulls playing with blond Labs at the local dog park.

The Oakwood portion of Venice, also known as "Ghost Town" and the "Oakwood Pentagon," lies inland from the tourist areas and is one of the few historically African American areas in West Los Angeles; Latinos now constitute the overwhelming majority of the residents. During the age of restrictive covenants that enforced racial segregation, Oakwood was set aside as a settlement area for Black-Americans, who came by the hundreds to Venice to work in the oil fields during the 1930s and 1940s. After the construction of the San Diego Freeway, which passed through predominantly Mexican American and immigrant communities, those groups moved further west and into Oakwood where black residents were already established. White-Americans moved into Oakwood during the 1980s and 1990s and Latinos moved out.

Xinachtli, a Latino student group from Venice High School and subset of MEChA, refers to Oakwood as one of last beachside communities of color in California. Chicanos, Hispanics, and Latinos of any race or ethnicity make up over 50% of Venice High School's student body.
Thanks for the history. I admit I was wrong when I said never working class.

I don't like admitting this, but my mom and I lived in the Santa Monica Motel off Lincoln Blvd (about a mile or two from Venice Beach) for about three or four months back in 2001 when I was 18. Despite my feminine screen-name (it's my favorite character from my favorite movie), I'm actually a tall, athletic man, and I'd have to do some deliveries for my mom. Most of those were toward Venice, rather than Santa Monica, but I went there too.

While, I'm sure our existence there proves your point to some extent, we came there from Tucson. I don't want to go into the specifics of the situation, but, umm, we went there because it was cheap enough to survive, but, ugh, rich enough that...yeah. And, compared to Tucson, it was a semi-suburban, rich person's wonderland with an occasional pocket of sleaze. It seemed very different to me compared to the Mission, which was pretty solidly working-class.

Like, I mean, I remember houses with pruned hedges, trimmed lawns, and banana tress. People walking dogs. A Ralph's where people were buying crap I could never afford.

I, mean, I haven't been back since, and that was--what?--fourteen years ago. But it didn't really feel very working class.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-12-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:44 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,110,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Thanks for the history. I admit I was wrong when I said never working class.

I don't like admitting this, but my mom and I lived in the Santa Monica Motel off Lincoln Blvd (about a mile or two from Venice Beach) for about three or four months back in 2001 when I was 18. Despite my feminine screen-name (it's my favorite character from my favorite movie), I'm actually a tall, athletic man, and I'd have to do some deliveries for my mom. Most of those were toward Venice, rather than Santa Monica, but I went there too.

While, I'm sure our existence there proves your point to some extent, we came there from Tucson. I don't want to go into the specifics of the situation, but, umm, we went there because it was cheap enough to survive, but, ugh, rich enough that...yeah. And, compared to Tucson, it was a semi-suburban, rich person's wonderland with an occasional pocket of sleaze. It seemed very different to me compared to the Mission, which was pretty solidly working-class.

Like, I mean, I remember houses with pruned hedges, trimmed lawns, and banana tress. People walking dogs. A Ralph's where people were buying crap I could never afford.

I, mean, I haven't been back since, and that was--what?--fourteen years ago. But it didn't really feel very working class.
Yeah a lot of people think that all these parts of LA people are moving to today have always been nice or at least just middle class. Venice was straight up hood for the longest time. While it was never Watts or Compton or Westlake/MacArthur Park, it was always the slums of the beach cities.

While the Mission definitely started from a socioeconomic class below that of Venice as a whole, I would say they're about equal now. Areas closest to the beach in Venice are the wealthiest. Areas closest to downtown are the wealthiest in SF. The Mission became a hotspot of gentrification for its easy access to downtown and relatively cheap rent while already having an artsy vibe to it. Venice gentrified because of its location along the beach with prime real estate and easy access to the jobs and amenities Santa Monica offered while having been home to the hippies and counter cultures and artists for a long time. Both were heavily Latino for a long time and still have strongholds of Latino populations, but those are continually encroached upon. The Mission is obviously much more historically Latino, but I still see similarities in both

Old 11-13-2015, 08:35 PM

1,401 posts, read 2,073,398 times
Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, etc >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Williamsburg.

Don't get me wrong I love my borough but there's SO much more to the borough than Williamsburg. The neighborhood doesn't even have the classic, ICONIC, Brownstones Brooklyn & NY is known for.

Explore more! Haha. Also tired of this hipster thing. Industrialization/Old Warehouses were always here. It's just "cool" now. BK in the eyes of natives have ALWAYS been this cool. The world is just catching up to what we've always known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or