U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,517,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
If you live in the Midwest, then you will most likely need a car.

However, my choice would be Ann Arbor, MI simply because they have good mass transit.

Detroit/Metro Detroit is awful if you want walkable. Downtown Detroit is getting better, but there are reasons why we are called the "motor city".
While I wouldn't really recommend Detroit without a car, Hamtramck is pretty walkable and would work well for me. I don't think it'd align with the OP's taste though.

I predict that Corktown and Midtown will be very walkable 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
Maybe Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,873,721 times
Des Moines, IA might be another one to check out.

IMO The OP is asking for too much. All the qualities he wants are not easily found in any Midwestern city. Cheap and walkable without crime are rarely found together. And if he's looking for a young, attractive population (which it sounds like he is) in the Midwest...ha, yeah right.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:53 AM

5,107 posts, read 4,128,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparochialismus View Post
I'm looking for a city in the Midwest or Upper-south that has a minimalist, walkable, urban or semi-urban, affordable vibe. I choose to be working a part-time job instead of a career but I don't like the things that living in a modest area comes with in the US - like gang-culture that scares young interesting people from walking casually - but not looking for suburbia safe. Berlin was by far the best place I've ever lived and I never expect to duplicate that here in the states, but I'm willing to believe there are neighborhoods (in medium or large cities) that come closer to the sentiment than most others. I know that Montreal is the city most like Berlin in North America but looking for something in this country.

I'm guessing this would be near a university, which is what I want anyway. I'm a late-20's multi-racial libertarian-leaning male who wants to chase college girls and make friends of all different backgrounds and ideologies.

I liked Bloomington Indiana but it was somewhat too isolated from major happenings and transportation options, and not quite as dense as I'd like.

Cincinnati is at the top of my list - not as a whole just the more walkable neighborhoods.

Chicago - I haven't given up on you completely but you're just too expensive in the nicer areas and have too much crime elsewhere. I'm not afraid of crime, but it scares away the people you want to meet, thus it's an annoyance.

Maybe some parts of Metro Detroit but perhaps too much driving-only (omg you don't have a car) culture.

Would anyone like to steer?
I would hardly call either Cincinnati or Louisville minimalist, but I think both would be excellent choices from the criteria you mentioned. Being in your late 20s, it's time you live in a bigger city with a plethora of multicultural experiences, diversity, and a thriving economy $$$. Mass transit is improving in both cities, however several smaller and larger cities peer cities offer better in this respect.

Ultimate Guide to Louisville's Hip Neighborhoods | Fodor's Travel

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicati...ervice-economy

Cincinnati's Great Neighborhoods / CincyUSA.com

Cincinnati economy fastest-growing in the Midwest

Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 28 days ago)

8,744 posts, read 10,865,840 times
Richmond, Va? Crime has dropped there tons over the last decade I have heard and it is affordable.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:11 PM

1,079 posts, read 650,289 times
Other than Rio or Milan, I have never heard of a "sexy" city. Keep your pants on and go to school.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 PM

718 posts, read 689,036 times
I second Richmond VA. And maybe Charlotte NC?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 PM

26 posts, read 28,111 times
Clifton, CUF, Corryville, and Mt Auburn surrounding UC in Cincinnati. Northside is a thought too. Great nightlife in Northside, a diverse, eclectic bunch live in Northside and it takes me between 30-40 minutes to walk to UC about half that to walk to Cincinnati State. Other than some parts of Clifton all of the places I've mentioned are not for those unused to urban life. All are relatively safe, Clifton the safest, but all have their share of urban issues. In Northside particularly we embrace those urban issues as part of our charm. CUF (an invented name used to describe three adjoining neighborhoods) is where you will find the most undergrads and all that comes along with being surrounded by undergrads. Mt Auburn and parts of Corryville you will want to avoid certain areas but tons of students live in those two neighborhoods and despite proximity to some high crime areas they survive quite nicely. Clifton you will find grad students, UC faculty, young professionals, some quite wealthy people, and the least amount of serious crime. One last note about Northside; despite its proximity to Cincinnati State and UC and despite having more than a few bars and coffee shops, it is by no means a college neighborhood. Plenty of college kids spend their evenings here and some live here but Northside is a bohemian, eclectic, artist, very urban and diverse (by Cincinnati standards) neighborhood. I consider it the perfect neighborhood to truly be close enough to all the bonuses that come with proximity to Universities without the negatives.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:36 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,436,423 times
If college girls want to date older men, they usually want someone with ambition and/or money. Not a broke dude who doesn't want to work. And a happening city which is also cheap? Not likely. You can try Madison though, if you don't mind roommates.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:35 PM

373 posts, read 266,065 times
Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or