Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times

Advertisements

And crickets...

NOLA is CLEARLY ducking me right now, and I hope the whole forum knows it. Dude LOVES to point out posts as "stupid" or "not true", but when he's proven otherwise, completely disappears from the discussion. No humility at all and a complete coward...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 AM

389 posts, read 330,173 times
Oh c'mon, gentrification helps clean up a lot of filthy crime and drug infested neighborhoods that most of the residents would have left long ago had they had the opportunity. Most people don't want to live in that mess and expose their kids to it. Not to worry though, as people start having families they still prefer the burbs by a longshot.

Last edited by ms12345; 11-14-2015 at 06:38 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 07:17 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
The most gentrified neighborhoods in Knoxville were always predominately white neighborhoods, another example that it's about class and not always about race.

Here's an article about professional gentrifiers in Nashville.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/a...e-push-against

I have to wonder about these folks - a 26 yr old CEO who has ridden the wave of Nashville's rapidly rising property costs. That can provide cushioning for a lot of mistakes. Now they are branching out to Knoxville and Savannah - in Knoxville at least the market won't be so forgiving.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,306 times
Gentrification is never ethical because the problems are never fixed and simply pushed away to another city.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:34 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
gentrification is a way for primarily white liberals to rid themselves of blacks and poor people without throwing on the sheets in the middle of the night and breaking out the torches, genteel racism is what it is usually called.

There is nothing ethical about gentrification at all but white people have figured out how good city living is and how sterile the suburbs are and want back in the cities, especially millennials, the question is what caused white flight in the first place ?
Stop with your racist BS!

Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
gentrification is a way for primarily white liberals to rid themselves of blacks and poor people without throwing on the sheets in the middle of the night and breaking out the torches, genteel racism is what it is usually called.

There is nothing ethical about gentrification at all but white people have figured out how good city living is and how sterile the suburbs are and want back in the cities, especially millennials, the question is what caused white flight in the first place ?
I disagree about the race issue. My former neighborhood in Portland, OR was all white. The majority of residents were elderly and low income. It was "discovered" beginning in the late 80's because of its close proximity do downtown, good shopping and bus service. It first become a thriving gay community but still affordable. Then artists and young couples moved in. They bought old houses and fixed them up to live in.

It was actually house and apartment building flippers and real estate investors who bought properties and then resold them at very high prices that caused the low to middle income people to now longer be able to afford their homes. Older homes in good condition got torn down to make way for large apartment buildings in which high rents were charged. Large duplexes were built on land that contained only one house. Soon only the more wealthy could afford to buy homes or afford to rent.

This had absolutely nothing to do with race. It was all white people who got pushed out of the neighborhood. First lower income then middle. Call it gentrification or whatever you like but it's money that talks no matter how you slice it. Whatever your color, today you are welcome in these neighborhoods as long as your money is green and you have lots of it.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 PM

391 posts, read 285,367 times
What I don't get is why people think it's unethical. The people who are priced out just have to find a cheaper place. Free market, people! Who here understands economics 101? I have a feeling that a lot of people don't. Nobody is entitled to live anywhere. Tenants aren't owners. Can anyone make an economic argument against gentrification?

Neighborhoods have always changed, they're not static. So which is worse, white flight or gentrification? And what's the alternative to both of them?

You guys should read "The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City" by Alan Ehrenhalt. Historically, the wealthy lived in the spacious suburbs and the poor lived in crowded cities. But now, American cities are starting to resemble European cities like Paris or Vienna, where the suburbs house the poor and the centers are the most desirable. Poverty rates have only been increasing in the suburbs.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times
Gentrification is at it's heart neither ethical or unethical. It is the direct result of increased demand and economic activity in cities and urban areas. There is no real stopping it because it is not a problem at all. What it is just a symptom of something that in general is desirable.

This is why there is no stopping gentrification when it happens, it is an economic force more than anything. There is no improvement without gentrification, because gentrification is a direct side effect of economic improvement.

Likewise if there is inversion increasing the demand to live in cities based on traffic and other factors. When the suburbs hit the limits of growth, gentrification becomes unavoidable as the city inverts.

Add to this more people who are educated are delaying or forgoing having children, meaning they stay in cities longer, and as a result cities become more popular.

Gentrification is not a problem, it is a side effect of multiple factors. None of which can really be stopped. As it was pointed out more cities are not gentrifying than gentrifying. If your city is gentrifying it is because it is likely a highly desirable place to live with a good amount of economic activity. If you are not gentrifying it is because there is likely major underlying issues with your city that need to be addressed.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM

676 posts, read 960,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
[i][u]A Nominally, gentrification should just be about wealth and not race, but you can't view one without the other in this country when the system (unfettered capitalism, racism, whatever you want to call it--I'm no conspiracy nut so I could care less how you label it, but something exists clear as day) has been designed for wealth to accumulate easier in certain groups' hands, to the detriment of others.
Why do people blame this stuff on "unfettered capitalism"? Capitalism has nothing to do with race. This is literally 'fettered' capitalism.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And crickets...

NOLA is CLEARLY ducking me right now, and I hope the whole forum knows it. Dude LOVES to point out posts as "stupid" or "not true", but when he's proven otherwise, completely disappears from the discussion. No humility at all and a complete coward...
Not all of us are on C-D every day. Love your trolling though. Are you still trying to make up stuff about Columbia U., NYC, and SF? Looks like it.

What do you want me to "respond to"? I already pointed out all your fabrications, point by point. I can do so again, if you prefer. You lied about the Columbia U. expansion, you lied about the Mission district in SF, and you generally have some weird agenda about keeping cities as trashy as possible.

There is no such thing as "ethical" or "unethical" gentrification. It's made-up. Gentrification is simply neighborhood-level economic improvement. Whether one thinks this is "good" or "bad" is a personal viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.