U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 PM

20 posts, read 21,983 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've posted here before, and thanks for all of the advice everyone gave! I've done some more research and (slightly) narrowed in on some places I might like to move to (sorry for the long post!!)

Some background:
-29 y/o single female
-Health care/public health field
-Looking for low to mid COL locations. Indy is very low COL and even with a Master's degree, I have a low salary to show for it, ha. Right now my budget is $600-$850/mo. rent, but looking at jobs in other places I'd be able to afford up to $1000 probably. I'm looking to rent an apt/house/condo right now. Possibly buy a house/condo down the road if I make a permanent home in my new locale.
-Prefer drier and warmer climates. Not a fan of snow anymore. Loved Vegas and Phoenix in November!
-Looking for a bit more liberal leaning city
-Ease of getting around: Indy is SUPER easy to travel around. I have been so spoiled the past 7 years! My commute takes 30 minutes. I could deal with an hour commute...not sure about more........

A few key reasons I want to move:
-Bored of flat Midwestern landscapes- I don't really care where I move to (desert, mountains, beach) as long as it has something interesting!
-I don't fit in with the culture here in Indiana. It's totally fine if you're into pick up trucks, hunting, country music, etc., but that's not me.

I'm originally from the NW burbs of Chicago. I could move back there (and am seriously considering it). I love Chicago dearly (corrupt politics, high taxes, crime and all), but I'd also like to try somewhere new.

Places people have suggested/I'm considering:
-Atlanta: This is probably number one on my list, as career prospects are the best here. However I have some concerns. Traffic is one. Another is that I am afraid as far as culture, it is similar to Indy in that the city itself is pretty liberal, but the surrounding areas are highly conservative.
-Raleigh-Durham: Have never visited. Career prospects are good too. Not really sure about entertainment, things to do, events, etc. Worried about getting bored. I'll probably visit this summer.

People also suggested Denver and Minneapolis. I think I've ruled both out-I'm not a super outdoorsy person, and Minneapolis is too cold/snowy. I've also ruled the Pacific NW out because the cold/wet weather makes my allergies/sinuses feel terrible, as stupid as that sounds.

Anyone have any feedback, or suggestions for other cities? I know no place is perfect, and I'll have to make sacrifices somewhere along the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,365,450 times
You loved Phoenix so why not it or Tucson?

Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,463,870 times
The liberal core surrounded by conservative environs is pretty typical. Even in "liberal stronghold" like Portland, swaths of the surrounding areas are conservative (on taxes, guns, etc.), if not evangelical. Heck, East Portland (part of the city) is pretty conservative. Other than maybe Boston/DC/NYC that's just largely how it goes.

If your career prospects are best in Atlanta, all things being equal, you're at the age where I would suggest biting on that. You really don't know what will happen with the personal part of life no matter where you go, but getting a "dream job" now will give you more flex for better jobs down the road, whether where you are or in other places as well.

Taking a lesser job, esp. to live somewhere else you aren't certain about either, may or may not pay off, but it's likely to leave you with less flexibility in the future. Personally I prefer the Raleigh-Durham area over Atlanta, but at 29 I'd let the determining factor be the best job you think you can get.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 PM

20 posts, read 21,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You loved Phoenix so why not it or Tucson?
Good question. When I was in Phoenix, I thought it was a very nice city, but it just didn't seem very...bustling? Energetic? It didn't seem like a very exciting place for young people. I was near AZ State's campus, so I am sure there are things to do. I just didn't feel super excited by Phoenix. If I am wrong, enlighten me Tucson may be a little smaller than what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
The liberal core surrounded by conservative environs is pretty typical. Even in "liberal stronghold" like Portland, swaths of the surrounding areas are conservative (on taxes, guns, etc.), if not evangelical. Heck, East Portland (part of the city) is pretty conservative. Other than maybe Boston/DC/NYC that's just largely how it goes.

If your career prospects are best in Atlanta, all things being equal, you're at the age where I would suggest biting on that. You really don't know what will happen with the personal part of life no matter where you go, but getting a "dream job" now will give you more flex for better jobs down the road, whether where you are or in other places as well.

Taking a lesser job, esp. to live somewhere else you aren't certain about either, may or may not pay off, but it's likely to leave you with less flexibility in the future. Personally I prefer the Raleigh-Durham area over Atlanta, but at 29 I'd let the determining factor be the best job you think you can get.
This is very good advice, and I think most likely it will determine my next move. I do not plan on moving unless I have a job first. I am guessing I will end up in Atlanta or Chicago from the jobs I have seen. Just curious, what do you like about Raleigh-Durham over Atlanta? I have never been to Raleigh-Durham, so any insight is appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or