Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

I have never lived on the East Coast, but moved from SoCal back to Denver. I'd go back to SoCal if the opportunity arises. I loved living there and feel more at home there. Not that Denver is culturally very different, but I don't like rain/cold/changes in seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Some of them have also said that they felt that CA was a little too superficial, where as people back east are more normal.
CA is definitely more "blingy" than the East Coast. At the least, this is true when comparing LA and NYC metros. People in Corona del Mar or Malibu are more outwardly showy than people in Greenwich or East Hampton. It's hard to explain, but I think most people who have lived in both places know what I mean.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:48 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
I woulds agree on the comments about never feeling at home in CA. That's certainly one negative.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
CA is definitely more "blingy" than the East Coast. At the least, this is true when comparing LA and NYC metros. People in Corona del Mar or Malibu are more outwardly showy than people in Greenwich or East Hampton. It's hard to explain, but I think most people who have lived in both places know what I mean.
I'm not so sure about that. I've lived in Southern California and I've lived in Manhattan. Maybe it's a tie? If anything, the people in NYC are more "blingy." Or it seemed that way to me. Anyway, I try not to pay attention.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:20 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I've lived in Southern California and I've lived in Manhattan. Maybe it's a tie? If anything, the people in NYC are more "blingy." Or it seemed that way to me. Anyway, I try not to pay attention.
Really? Who do you know in Manhattan who drives around town in a Ferrari or Bentley? That would be half my old neighborhood in OC.

Rich people in Manhattan take the subway or bus, for the most part. Really rich people get driven. They aren't tooling around town in flashy performance vehicles.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:19 PM

192 posts, read 292,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander_x View Post
*I tried posting this on the CA forum but it didn't gather much response - maybe because most people still live in CA on that forum.

I'd love to hear some personal stories of moving to California from the east coast, living there for long enough to experience it fully and establish a life, and then moving back (not necessarily back to your specific hometown again, but just moving back east after spending time in the west).

We all know the usual culprits: moving back closer family, finding a job in NYC, escaping LA traffic or SF rental prices...but could you expand on that to encompass the overall "culture" or "feel" of the California way of life you experienced vs. the east coast way of life where you were from/went back to.

Did you ever feel at "home" in California?
Was it a bittersweet move back east?
Do you miss it or are you happier now?
What were your social relationships like in the west vs. east?
Do you feel different living on the east coast around people who never left to see the west?
Do you regret it and wish you stayed in CA?
I lived in the Bay Area from 1985 to 2006 when I moved back to Pennsylvania. I felt California was home and that i was there for ever. However as time went by housing costs, the economy and the increase in all fees was just too much to handle. The year before I left California enacted over 1000 new laws and regulations. I wanted a simpler cheaper and easier way of life, so I returned to PA. Even though I miss the weather and beauty of the Bay Area, I have not regretted my decision to leave California. California is becoming a haven for the super wealthy or the very poor.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
i'm a san diego native living on the east coast now, outside of roanoke...i don't miss ca at all, it has changed so much. my husband just returned from a trip there and each time he goes back he's just grossed out by all the crappy changes. i still have family and friends there, some are die hard californians and will never leave and then there are those that are plotting their get-a-way. about it being more "blingy" there? i don't think so...it's funny, i know more materialistic people who think they are all that here than i ever did back home.

i do miss mexican food and when the winter starts to drag out here i miss warmer days...but then that's about where it ends.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM

341 posts, read 708,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I lived in NYC, then moved to Orange County, then moved back to NYC.

I liked Orange County, but I like NYC more. I'm an urbanist at heart. Plus (and I know I'm weird here) I like moody weather, and it never rained in Newport Beach. Plus I have more family in the Northeast than in CA, and I have family in Europe.

I do miss CA sometimes, like when we have crap weather in the winter. But most of the time I'm happy with my decision. And I visit CA all the time anyways, for work and leisure.
Doesn't it suck though?, having to fly between east coast and Ca? It's such a long, sucky flight. If only it didn't take 5-6 hr to make that flight from LAX to NYC for example. It's almost better to take a lay over somewheres in fly over States. Then again if they were closer geographically, i guess culturally they wouldn't be as polarizing.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
Doesn't it suck though?, having to fly between east coast and Ca? It's such a long, sucky flight. If only it didn't take 5-6 hr to make that flight from LAX to NYC for example. It's almost better to take a lay over somewheres in fly over States. Then again if they were closer geographically, i guess culturally they wouldn't be as polarizing.
Eh that's not a long flight. Depends on what you are used to.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:08 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
I would hardly call an overnight direct/nonstop flight on a Friday or Saturday evening from LAX to the East Coast inconvenient or "sucky." Have a glass of wine before takeoff and pop a Dramamine, and you're out like a light before you even reach 10,000 ft. And when you wake up, you're not only in a different city on the East Coast, but you've gotten a full night's sleep as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.