U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:15 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Ugh, while there are a few good places in the Midwest, it's cheaper (in some cases a lot cheaper) for a reason
Chicago's suburbs are truly world class, and most likely more affordable than both costs for hte most part. There are a few that are uber expensive, but just stay away from those. I would recommend places like St. Charles, Geneva, Wheaton, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Batavia, Naperville, Algonquin, Crystal Lake, etc, in Chicagoland. Theyre incredible, safe, affordable suburbs with tons to do, and close access to Chicago, which, besides NYC, offers more than any big city on the west or east coast can. Its a viable option. Winters are cold, no doubt, but the rest of the year can be absolutely glorious. I lived there for 35 years and miss it immensely. Ive been all over the country and Chicago and its suburbs are a great place to live. If you want great nightlife in a suburb thats not overly expensive, Naperville is my first recommendation. Its a blast.

Downtown Naperville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:40 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Thats what liberalism gets you. It prices out middle class americans. Major ways to build wealth is through business. America was a place where anyone who worked hard enough and grinded could come and live the dream.
What bubble have you been living in? The middle class has hit the crapper thanks to the GOP/Koch Brothers/Wall Street/Banking alliance, outsourcing of middle class jobs and Ol' Ronnie's Trickle Down Economics policies. Get a clue...seriously.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:34 PM

390 posts, read 231,484 times
Quote:
Ugh, while there are a few good places in the Midwest, it's cheaper (in some cases a lot cheaper) for a reason
Well the Midwest has a quite a bit larger population than the west coast, but dispersed across many medium sized cities. Everyone is not clamoring to buy in the same small areas like happens along the coasts which probably inflates the housing costs.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:36 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,316,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Chicago's suburbs are truly world class, and most likely more affordable than both costs for hte most part. There are a few that are uber expensive, but just stay away from those. I would recommend places like St. Charles, Geneva, Wheaton, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Batavia, Naperville, Algonquin, Crystal Lake, etc, in Chicagoland. Theyre incredible, safe, affordable suburbs with tons to do, and close access to Chicago, which, besides NYC, offers more than any big city on the west or east coast can. Its a viable option. Winters are cold, no doubt, but the rest of the year can be absolutely glorious. I lived there for 35 years and miss it immensely. Ive been all over the country and Chicago and its suburbs are a great place to live. If you want great nightlife in a suburb thats not overly expensive, Naperville is my first recommendation. Its a blast.

Downtown Naperville
Chicago though is probably the Most expensive Metro area that is not on the East or West Coast.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:43 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,316,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your OP is actually very exclusive in what you are calling a major metro area on the west coast.

So, what's the list of major metro areas that are expensive on the west coast?

And if you're comparing that to an area of the east coast that does not include any major metro areas.......saying it's affordable south of DC but north of Miami......I'm not seeing anything to compare here.

Major metro areas with great paying jobs are never cheap. And average earners don't get to live like millionaires. This is just the way it is, the way it's always been. If you want cheaper in those areas, that means a commute. I believe this to be true in any major metro area in the US that has a good job market. And if that area is somewhere with great weather, there will be even more demand.

The west coast is a huge area, and you even admitted that smaller metro areas are affordable. So, I am concluding that you're frustrated that you can't afford champagne on a beer budget. I get that. But that's not limited to the west coast.
Again, major Metro areas on the West Coast. 35k to 40k, if you're single, is no real issue in Eugene, Bakersfield or Bellingham. But in the others that have over a million people, besides maybe Sacramento, yes it's a big issue.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:52 PM

952 posts, read 1,077,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I am not sure what this means.

Virtually all of the major metros on the west coast are affordable for average earners: AT SOME LEVEL.

In some, it might mean roommates.

In others, it might mean up to 60 miles from the metro center.

In even more, you can make it with concessions. In some, even without many concessions.

County lines don't matter. I don't understand why they would.

Yeah, you aren't living in Queen Anne or Lake Oswego on $40K. So what. You can't have it all when you're merely average.
They may be affordable "at some level" but the quality of life takes a huge hit.

Your quality of life at $40K is significantly better in a place like Phoenix where you can live 10 minutes (or less) from work or downtown with no roommates.

I'd take that over long commutes or roommates any day of the week (in fact I did, that's why I live in Phoenix and not the Bay Area).

Old 11-14-2015, 01:04 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Chicago though is probably the Most expensive Metro area that is not on the East or West Coast.
That is not true. Some of the Colorado metro areas such as Boulder, Fort Collins and Denver are all more expensive than Chicago. And don't forget Hawaii.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:24 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
They may be affordable "at some level" but the quality of life takes a huge hit.

Your quality of life at $40K is significantly better in a place like Phoenix where you can live 10 minutes (or less) from work or downtown with no roommates.

I'd take that over long commutes or roommates any day of the week (in fact I did, that's why I live in Phoenix and not the Bay Area).
Absolutely. It's a matter of what a person is willing to accept.

Nobody is entitled to a high QOL just because they make a certain income.

Survival of the fittest, and/or "bootstraps", can just as well be taken advantage of in the inverse. Me, if I'm this $40K person, I'm going where it can stretch the furthest, stretch me the least, and still allow me to be content.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:39 PM

453 posts, read 732,833 times
Interesting graphs from marketplace.

All the San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle are all on the list.

First, link to the original article:
Inflation is tame

Note that these pictures are from NPR's Marketplace

The cities have become too expensive for millennials like me - we are a generation behind - would have been nice to own property before this next bubble brews.

Wonder how long it will last...hope it stabilizes instead of bursting again.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Interesting graphs from marketplace.

All the San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle are all on the list.

First, link to the original article:
Inflation is tame

Note that these pictures are from NPR's Marketplace

The cities have become too expensive for millennials like me - we are a generation behind - would have been nice to own property before this next bubble brews.

Wonder how long it will last...hope it stabilizes instead of bursting again.
It's a good thing you live in Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or