Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
NE Portland
Probably want to scratch that one from the list. It's not cheap anywhere in NE Portland these days unless you're buying a rundown fixer upper(and there's not many of those left). I see ranch homes close to NE 162nd(the Portland/Gresham border) going for close to $350,000(which is what people were paying closer-in neighborhoods just a few years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
This is why I refuse to live in expensive metro areas, even if the jobs pay higher. It's never worth it, unless you're getting paid REALLY well. I refuse to have a long commute under any circumstance, unless it's short-term/temporary. And I refuse to pay $1,500+ a month for a crappy 1 bd apartment.

Honestly, expensive metro areas like NYC, Boston or DC are for rich people, period. Or poor people. But for the middle class, there's virtually no quality affordable housing for them.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
What can be done?
Stop voting for liberal Democrats!!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM

71 posts, read 60,804 times
Making around or less than 34K with my airline job I was able to, in my very early years, afford some great apartments in the Portland area. Of course many other's wouldn't consider an older and less than modern 400 square foot apartment "great" but I got by, and I enjoyed it. You learn a lot living on your last 50.00 for a week... Of course prices are even "worse" now, but I make more money too...

How does Portland's rents compare with a similar lifestyle in big Midwestern cities such as Chicago and Minneapolis? Some of the smaller Midwestern gems will become very popular for young families in the coming the years I imagine because of the costs.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbar View Post
Making around or less than 34K with my airline job I was able to, in my very early years, afford some great apartments in the Portland area. Of course many other's wouldn't consider an older and less than modern 400 square foot apartment "great" but I got by, and I enjoyed it. You learn a lot living on your last 50.00 for a week... Of course prices are even "worse" now, but I make more money too...

How does Portland's rents compare with a similar lifestyle in big Midwestern cities such as Chicago and Minneapolis? Some of the smaller Midwestern gems will become very popular for young families in the coming the years I imagine because of the costs.
Not really a big Midwestern city but I can compare Cleveland to Portland. OR.

In Portland my last apartment of 550 sq ft is now renting at $1040 a month heat not included which was pretty expensive considering how poorly insulated it was. That rent is considered cheap by Portland standards. The neighborhood was one of the most desired, sought after in which to live in the city. In Cleveland my rent is $775 a month for 1100 sq ft heat included in a comparable neighborhood. In some ways, it's nicer.

The apartment in Portland was not in the best of shape. It was post WWII and needed work. My present apartment is pre-WWII and has been beautifully updated.

For me, there is no reason to live in a place just to be living in that place when I can live somewhere else and get so much more for so much less. And the amenities are the same and/or better. But to each their own.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:19 PM

176 posts, read 263,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Stop voting for liberal Democrats!!
Does your keyboard have Tourette's Syndrome? It seems it often just blurts out political statements that are completely unrelated to the thread in which you are responding. You may want to look into getting that thing fixed.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:21 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Kent, Auburn, Des Moines, Federal Way, SeaTac, Everett.

Tacoma

Gresham, NE Portland

Salem

Eugene

Medford

Sacramento

Solano County, Vallejo, Antioch/etc., Tracy, Manteca. Stockton, lol Modesto (many of these are relative)

Fresno

Bakersfield

Lancaster/Palmdale, Victor Valley

Far reaches of Inland Empire.

Tijuana.

Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno. Albuquerque, Salt Lake City. Spokane, Yakima, Boise. Colorado Springs, Pueblo. Billings. Texas, Plains, Midwest, South.

This is the land of opportunity.

Solution to all of this: don't be average.

I didn't think suburbs of major metro areas like the two examples given at the top were not my intent to leave out of their larger prime city near it or in the same county

Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 PM

641 posts, read 802,022 times
Thats what liberalism gets you. It prices out middle class americans. Major ways to build wealth is through business. America was a place where anyone who worked hard enough and grinded could come and live the dream.

Key word: hard work and grind

So now instead of starting and owning a business in Cali, i have to choose a large metro like Houston. You'd have to be wealthy to start a business or buy a home in Cali. You can live a mediocre life but no changing economic levels through hard work.

And now i have to pay employees a higher minimum wage. How hard will u make it on me b4 i pass the bill to consumers and tax payers. Why shld a middle school dropout w 8 kids get a min raise increase. Smh

Stepping off soap box

Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 PM

641 posts, read 802,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
Does your keyboard have Tourette's Syndrome? It seems it often just blurts out political statements that are completely unrelated to the thread in which you are responding. You may want to look into getting that thing fixed.
Dude. Wake up. I use to pull the lever for the donkey to. But i opened my eyes and began to use an open minded approach. I read books on both viewpoints and discovered that the democratic party is full of it.

Its the party that dismisses personal responsibility and accountability as a majore factor on whether or not someone lives a satisfactory life. When you circumvent a problem instead of address it head on, this is what happens. Natural consequences cannot teach life changing lessons.

You drop out of school, your life will suck till you find the motivation to go back and finish. You have more kids then you can afford, you will be poor and eat beans and biscuits all day. People will see your life and it will be all they need to not go down that road.

Instead, super govt to the rescue. Tax payers will bail you out. With everything. Need a raise you didn't earn, no problem. Need healthcare jus in case you go to the hospital on a drug overdose, no problem. Almost kill someone, no problem, probation should fix it. If its not the govt bailing ppl out, its businesses being forced to. Theyre only going to pass the bill to customers. Gotta pay construction workers, apartment personnel etc extra cause the govt makes us so we will just charge the consumer extra.

Open your eyes. Liberalism is ruining this country. I dont mind social liberalism, gay marriage, weed usage, pro choice. All that pales in comparison to dismissing personal responsibility the way democrats do. Nothing is anyones fought of their own. Its sickening. People wonder why places with the best economies during the recession were republican ran jurisdictions. Cause they cater to people who know the importance of personal responsibility.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I didn't think suburbs of major metro areas like the two examples given at the top were not my intent to leave out of their larger prime city near it or in the same county
I am not sure what this means.

Virtually all of the major metros on the west coast are affordable for average earners: AT SOME LEVEL.

In some, it might mean roommates.

In others, it might mean up to 60 miles from the metro center.

In even more, you can make it with concessions. In some, even without many concessions.

County lines don't matter. I don't understand why they would.

Yeah, you aren't living in Queen Anne or Lake Oswego on $40K. So what. You can't have it all when you're merely average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.