U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:12 AM

8 posts, read 7,164 times

Advertisements

I am grateful to all of you, thanks so very much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Quote:
Asheville would be an an excellent option for you. It's not becoming crowded as the city population is at a mere 80,000 people and has plenty of road infrastructure in/around town to keep traffic moving.
Wut? A common complaint on the city-data is the traffic in Asheville. It can be helped by avoiding rush hour.

A lot of people move to Asheville who are anti-religious. Would that be a problem for you, OP?

Elevation is around 2000' - you don't really reach a constant 3000' or more elevation until you are north of Boone. There are some outlying mountain developments near Waynesville/Sylva at that elevation as well.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Someone else told me about waynesville, just outside of ashville. Is it close enough to drive easily to,ashville? What is the cost of living there? I do love the idea of the UNC-ashville college options, given most retires are much older than myself. I must be close to a solid medical facility to make sure the cancer does not return. I would be looking for a Christian church, I feel strongly that God is who brought me through my husband dying just days after my second cancer surgery and radiation, shortly after my 24 year old passed away, so my faith was all I had when everything else was gone.

Thanks to all

Old 11-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Waynesville is nice. Lake Junaluska is a Methodist community that will have social and educational programs. Living there might be an option.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiicos View Post
Someone else told me about waynesville, just outside of ashville. Is it close enough to drive easily to,ashville? What is the cost of living there? I do love the idea of the UNC-ashville college options, given most retires are much older than myself. I must be close to a solid medical facility to make sure the cancer does not return. I would be looking for a Christian church, I feel strongly that God is who brought me through my husband dying just days after my second cancer surgery and radiation, shortly after my 24 year old passed away, so my faith was all I had when everything else was gone.

Thanks to all
Waynesville is going to be much less transplant-oriented and possibly a good bit more difficult to break into social circles as an "ousider". It's not an easy drive into Asheville in the winter months as I-40 is quite treacherous through some areas with lots of elevation changes. The quality of medical care in Waynesville isn't going to be top-tier like Asheville and you wouldn't want to be making that drive on a consistent basis. Asheville has a significant number of church congregations to choose from in pretty much all denominations. One of the things many like about Asheville is it's diversity and varying beliefs versus a town where everyone marches to the same drummer so to speak. If you can get along with others it would be a great place to live for you in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:15 PM

Any thoughts on Johnson City or Maryville Tennessee ?

Thanks !

Old 11-15-2015, 06:21 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiicos View Post
Any thoughts on Johnson City or Maryville Tennessee ?

Thanks !
Johnson City is a good bit larger with more services, and has easy access to in-town East Tennessee State University Medical Center which has an excellent reputation for Cancer Care via it's affiliation with Duke U and Harvard. I know you're a cancer survivor but having the peace of mind of frequent check-ups in a facility that excels at diagnosing/treating nearby would seem to be a big perk. The weather will be a good bit milder in Summer with slightly colder winters and snow/ice more likely than Maryville though by no means is it prevalent or unmanageable. Along with the vitality that comes with a college town, I would think given it's size and ease of getting to/from a lot more in terms of services (and things to do) that Johnson City seems a better fit.

Medical Center & VA Medical Center

Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 AM

Johnson city will be higher elevation and cooler than Maryville.

I realized you will probably be active in a church and that will be a source for a lot of contacts & socialization.

I really don't get post #15 and the comments about waynesville. I have a friend who used to live between Sylva and waynesville , older retired woman. While she felt some isolation when she could no longer drive she never had problems making friends, often through church & peace activities.

Best place to ask about this is the local boards. It seems like a bad idea to turn away from an area based on the opinion of a single poster.

Asheville has a lot of unique amenities but you pay a high price for them. On the subject of senior learning activities, we have a poster who retired to Oak Ridge TN that raves about their offerings. That's a community with a very eclectic population. Lower elevation though, but very affordable.

Good recommendation about the ETSU hospital. One nice thing about JC is you can make easy day trips to Roan Mountain to cool off. Probably better opportunities for community in the city.

Last edited by creeksitter; 11-15-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 02:34 PM

Gid bless you for your kind assistance, thanks so very much.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:45 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
What about the Blacksburg/Christiansburg VA area? It is close to the mountains and would be cooler during the summer. Blacksburg is home to Virginia Tech, which may have some things that you may be interested in. Roanoke isn't too far away either and could be another option for health care or in general. Going west from Christiansburg down I-81 or Route 11 is Radford, which is another college town and I believe has a medical center that is in the same system as the medical facilities in Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Actually, Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford form a metro area of about 165,000.

Roanoke is about 50 minutes from Radford, with the other 2 communities in between. Roanoke is a metro of about 310,000 and the two adjacent areas are approaching 500,000 people.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-15-2015 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or