U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:11 AM

21,232 posts, read 30,469,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I really don't get post #15 and the comments about waynesville. I have a friend who used to live between Sylva and waynesville , older retired woman. While she felt some isolation when she could no longer drive she never had problems making friends, often through church & peace activities.
Have you ever driven on I-40 eastbound into Asheville? It's quite dramatic in terms of inclines and treacherous in winter/rainy conditions. The OP stated she also wants to be near quality medical care as a cancer survivor who needs frequent check-ups and heaven forbid if she has a recurrence, someplace with top-notch care. Relying upon others to schlep you on a route like that to/from care is a bit beyond the call of duty for most. Asheville isn't "expensive" and am not sure why that gets dredged up repeatedly. In relation to the surrounding area it is more expensive as desirable places to live often are. From a national cost of living perspective Asheville is at the national average, being just at two points over the US median at an index number of 102.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 AM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
I have driven between Waynesville and Asheville many times. There is one inclined stretch but the intimidating curves are west of Maggie Valley.

my friend was happy with the medical care she got at the hospital in Sylva. Large hospital right off 64. But she's not a cancer patient. The C-D forum raises concern about Asheville's mission hospital. If the hospital in JC is renowned for cancer treatment that would be in the OPs favor.

Living costs in Asheville are high for the immediate region. I think you live in Chapel hill, another high cost area so it might not be noticeable. Plus a vacancy rate that is very very low. Sure it is desirable for a certain demographic but because it is desirable to you won't mean it is desirable for everyone.

Note the way the OP tends to bless everyone in her. There are people who are drawn to Asheville because they see it as more secular than the rest of the south. Some are downright anti-religious. I fear they would give the OP the cold shoulder.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM

29,973 posts, read 27,489,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you ever driven on I-40 eastbound into Asheville? It's quite dramatic in terms of inclines and treacherous in winter/rainy conditions. The OP stated she also wants to be near quality medical care as a cancer survivor who needs frequent check-ups and heaven forbid if she has a recurrence, someplace with top-notch care. Relying upon others to schlep you on a route like that to/from care is a bit beyond the call of duty for most. Asheville isn't "expensive" and am not sure why that gets dredged up repeatedly. In relation to the surrounding area it is more expensive as desirable places to live often are. From a national cost of living perspective Asheville is at the national average, being just at two points over the US median at an index number of 102.
Asheville's relatively high housing costs are well-documented, especially for a city with a tepid job growth and an economy that revolves around tourism:

Why are decent pay, decent housing elusive in Asheville?
Ripple effect - Asheville's shortage of affordable housing
Asheville’s cost of living undermines workers’ pay
Little Big City Blues: Asheville’s growing housing crisis

Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 7,203 times
Thanks so much to everyone for your time, great advice and kindness to me ! I can't wait to get out of the culture of southeast Michigan and Detroit, despite not living in the city, it's problems effect the entire area. Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,281,502 times
Bristol, VA/TN could possibly work.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 4,728,151 times
Waynesville is a very cute little town with some nice amenities, parks, rec center, etc. There seems to be a good number of seniors that work out at the rec center. I love the Waynesville/Lake Junaluska area. I love Ashevile too, but agree it is much more secular and not sure you would enjoy it as well as some of the small towns around it (at least for living.) But it's a fun, funky city that offers a lot to do, and you could easily live in Western North Carolina and drive into to Asheville to enjoy the entertainment and amenities.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Asheville's relatively high housing costs are well-documented, especially for a city with a tepid job growth and an economy that revolves around tourism:

Why are decent pay, decent housing elusive in Asheville?
Ripple effect - Asheville's shortage of affordable housing
Asheville’s cost of living undermines workers’ pay
Little Big City Blues: Asheville’s growing housing crisis
Asheville's median home cost is 213K and the national average is 189K, fairly similar averages. Furthermore the OP isn't moving for work or a high-tech economy....so what difference does it make?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:32 AM

If the OP wants something like Waynesville but not as far-removed for quality medical/cancer care and cultural events there's always Hendersonville which is just 30 minutes south and not separated by twisting high-elevation highway. It has a beautiful and active downtown area, a good hospital, significant senior services and a milder climate than higher elevation towns to the north and west of it but still a good bit cooler/less humid in summer.

Welcome to Downtown Hendersonville, NC
City of Hendersonville : Video Showcasing Hendersonville
http://www.pardeehospital.org/health...es/cancer.html

Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM

29,973 posts, read 27,489,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Asheville's median home cost is 213K and the national average is 189K, fairly similar averages.
So the folks in Asheville are making it all up? LOL...as I said, rising housing costs in Asheville are well-documented and go beyond a simple snapshot in time of median home costs.

Quote:
Furthermore the OP isn't moving for work or a high-tech economy....so what difference does it make?
I never mentioned anything about work; the articles that I cited look at both the economy and housing costs because they are related issues. The lack of a robust economy coupled with higher-than-average housing costs obviously has broader impacts on the region as a whole. But depending on his budget, he may be able to make it work.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:48 PM

23,714 posts, read 17,668,720 times
I would also consider the border towns around Asheville. Traffic in Asheville is insignificant if you've ever lived in a large city.

TN is also much more tax friendly than the other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or