U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,220 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I are wanting to leave central Illinois behind for a better climate & future for our two young kids. We are tired of the humid summer and long harsh winters, being cooped up in the house six months out of the year with allergies, colds, flu, asthma & dry skin. The taxes and "state" of this state are telling us it's now or never but this is not a post about politics so let's move on. We just can't settle on where to go.
We are middle-class and look for good schools in a safe town with population around 15-20,000 with nice people, parks, ymca, movie theater, walmart, small shops, nice churches, etc. and located less than 50 miles to a larger city (80-100,000+) with places like Lowes, Home Depot, shopping mall, concert venue, better jobs, possibly a University, you get the idea (maybe?) Kind of like a retirement community for younger families, somewhere to raise a family and never leave.
I mentioned before we are looking for a better climate but also, no wide open windy areas, no tornado alley, no hurricanes, not a fan of humidity or biting insects, don't want it to rain for weeks on end, or be gloomy all winter either. Somewhere we don't have to depend on the furnace and a/c year-round. Somewhere we can have a few acres of land and privacy. Somewhere the houses aren't all modulars, I need a home with character. More importantly we love outdoor recreation, sports and fishing. Any suggestions??
Also, we currently pay about $100/month each for gas/electric, water/sewer, cable, car insurance. How do these living costs compare across the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:19 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,880,609 times
Gainesville, GA, tons of Illinoisans there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainesville,_Georgia

https://www.gainesville.org/

Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM

4,261 posts, read 5,480,306 times
If you can't do more humid summers, then I wouldn't suggest the south. And if you can't do colder winters, I wouldn't recommend anything any further north. Maybe try something out west, Utah or perhaps Colorado. Those states can still get big weather extremes, but they will be more dry.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,290 times
If you want low taxes, Florida is calling you. Georgia and Colorado have average to high taxes actually, Florida has amount the lowest in the country.

The northeast of the state has mild weather. Look into the area around St. Augustine.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:51 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysTheOptimist View Post
Hi there! My husband and I are wanting to leave central Illinois behind for a better climate & future for our two young kids. We are tired of the humid summer and long harsh winters, being cooped up in the house six months out of the year with allergies, colds, flu, asthma & dry skin. The taxes and "state" of this state are telling us it's now or never but this is not a post about politics so let's move on. We just can't settle on where to go.
We are middle-class and look for good schools in a safe town with population around 15-20,000 with nice people, parks, ymca, movie theater, walmart, small shops, nice churches, etc. and located less than 50 miles to a larger city (80-100,000+) with places like Lowes, Home Depot, shopping mall, concert venue, better jobs, possibly a University, you get the idea (maybe?) Kind of like a retirement community for younger families, somewhere to raise a family and never leave.
I mentioned before we are looking for a better climate but also, no wide open windy areas, no tornado alley, no hurricanes, not a fan of humidity or biting insects, don't want it to rain for weeks on end, or be gloomy all winter either. Somewhere we don't have to depend on the furnace and a/c year-round. Somewhere we can have a few acres of land and privacy. Somewhere the houses aren't all modulars, I need a home with character. More importantly we love outdoor recreation, sports and fishing. Any suggestions??
Also, we currently pay about $100/month each for gas/electric, water/sewer, cable, car insurance. How do these living costs compare across the country?
What is your housing budget and what kind of work would you be looking for? They're both important criteria to know about before making credible suggestions.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:10 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,941,807 times
If you dont want cold winters, youre gonna end up in a place thats super hot and usually very sticky in summer, which sucks for the kids who will be out of school during those months. I would recommend a place like St. George, UT. Plenty of sun, dry air, mild winters, lots of outdoor activities, and usually not too terribly hot in summer (at least compared to Phoenix where I live). Youll be close to all of Utah's gorgeous scenery and 5 National Parks, too. Youll be able to ski in the mountains in the morning, then lay poolside in the afternoon back home in St. George if you really wanted to. I would stay away from the south at all costs. Its far more humid than IL, and the humidity doesnt go away like it does in IL. Picture the hottest, stickiest day in IL, and thats the norm ALL SUMMER in most places down south. Its atrocious. Your kids, and you, will most likely despise it. And winters there can be equally gloomy, albeit warmer, but rainier, and coupled with occassional ice storms and snow storms, which shut down the entire state. Its no picnic.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 AM

I'm a construction project manager and have never spent over 150k for a house but would go up to 200k for the right place.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:27 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,528,300 times
Suburbs of Atlanta would be perfect

Old 11-14-2015, 11:33 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
The hot spot for construction in the Southeast right now is Atlanta and has been for awhile now. The desirable northside suburbs around Duluth, Alpharetta/Johns Creek, Buford, Lawrenceville and Cumming are booming with new construction, both residential and commercial. There is considerable inventory in the 150K-200K price bracket as well.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 PM

My husband is finishing his degree in natural resources and conservation and would be happy in a year-round grounds keeping or maintenance position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or