U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 AM

57,068 posts, read 81,467,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraP View Post
I spent 4.5 years in LA and really got to hate the place and my life there. I was studying to change careers, my school was ok, some parts good some bad. The main redeeming things were the weather (I liked the warm/dry), some friends I made, and obviously tacos.

I took advantage of changing my career to travel abroad after finishing my degree/board exams. It's getting closer to the end of my trip though and really not certain about anything.

I have no idea where I should go.
----------------------------------------------------
Things I MUST have:

Public transport and walk/bike-ability. I hate driving, prefer not to have a car, wouldn't be able to get one for months anyway

Pockets of progressive/liberal culture, but laid back (ie, what you think and how you act way more important than what you look like. A place that people appreciate educating oneself though doesn't have to be thru universities for sure)

Active, VARIED music scene. I was formerly a musician full time before changing careers and moving to LA where I mostly got black listed (long story of bs). Symphony orchestras, world music, experimental (whether of jazz or other idioms) required. Early (historical) music also preferred.

Affordable. I can make this work in different ways though- for instance those apodments I've been reading about in places like Seattle sound perfect for me.

Job opportunities- this is really hard to figure out. I'm an acupuncturist now, there are not so many job postings for us, most people prefer private practice. I really don't prefer this and have been building my resume (volunteering and trainings on my trip) to apply for high volume places like community clinics (these are anywhere) or hospital/integrative settings (maybe more common in cities with big health sectors?) We really got very little career advice in school, mostly about starting your own practice because students either want this, or aren't willing to move cities for work.
-------------------------------------------
I really liked living in Philadelphia but I feel like that city is over for me. I think a city similar to this though. LA as I mentioned I hated. I have enjoyed myself visiting/gigging in Portland OR, Chicago. I'm afraid Chicago winters might be too cold for me and Portland is too saturated with acupuncturists though. Also Montreal I feel very comfortable in but I'm not a Canadian citizen That vibe though.
I hated CA so much I didn't take the licensing exams there, didn't want to waste money/waiting for 6 months to next exam date. All other states I'm eligible to work in.

I would like to find a boyfriend/husband one of these days, but definitely don't want kids. Not looking to buy a house anytime soon if ever. So those topics are really irrelevant for me.
-------------------------------------------
Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts, thanks!
What about looking into nearby American communities like Burlington VT or Plattsburgh NY? They are close enough to where you can enjoy Montreal. Plattsburgh is only an hour or so south of Montreal and just make sure you have your passport updated. I believe that Burlington may be about an hour and a half away from Montreal. Plattsburgh is more affordable out of the two. Just a thought......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,998,157 times
Minneapolis or Madison, WI. If you don't think you could handle the winters maybe Austin, New Orleans, or Albuquerque. If it is too hot in the summer then your only option is someplace in the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or