Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 22,274 times

Advertisements

I spent 4.5 years in LA and really got to hate the place and my life there. I was studying to change careers, my school was ok, some parts good some bad. The main redeeming things were the weather (I liked the warm/dry), some friends I made, and obviously tacos.

I took advantage of changing my career to travel abroad after finishing my degree/board exams. It's getting closer to the end of my trip though and really not certain about anything.

I have no idea where I should go.
----------------------------------------------------
Things I MUST have:

Public transport and walk/bike-ability. I hate driving, prefer not to have a car, wouldn't be able to get one for months anyway

Pockets of progressive/liberal culture, but laid back (ie, what you think and how you act way more important than what you look like. A place that people appreciate educating oneself though doesn't have to be thru universities for sure)

Active, VARIED music scene. I was formerly a musician full time before changing careers and moving to LA where I mostly got black listed (long story of bs). Symphony orchestras, world music, experimental (whether of jazz or other idioms) required. Early (historical) music also preferred.

Affordable. I can make this work in different ways though- for instance those apodments I've been reading about in places like Seattle sound perfect for me.

Job opportunities- this is really hard to figure out. I'm an acupuncturist now, there are not so many job postings for us, most people prefer private practice. I really don't prefer this and have been building my resume (volunteering and trainings on my trip) to apply for high volume places like community clinics (these are anywhere) or hospital/integrative settings (maybe more common in cities with big health sectors?) We really got very little career advice in school, mostly about starting your own practice because students either want this, or aren't willing to move cities for work.
-------------------------------------------
I really liked living in Philadelphia but I feel like that city is over for me. I think a city similar to this though. LA as I mentioned I hated. I have enjoyed myself visiting/gigging in Portland OR, Chicago. I'm afraid Chicago winters might be too cold for me and Portland is too saturated with acupuncturists though. Also Montreal I feel very comfortable in but I'm not a Canadian citizen That vibe though.
I hated CA so much I didn't take the licensing exams there, didn't want to waste money/waiting for 6 months to next exam date. All other states I'm eligible to work in.

I would like to find a boyfriend/husband one of these days, but definitely don't want kids. Not looking to buy a house anytime soon if ever. So those topics are really irrelevant for me.
-------------------------------------------
Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts, thanks!

Last edited by ZoraP; 11-14-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
You could take a look at Albuquerque. It fits your desire for climate, laid-back atmosphere and affordability. Walkability is a bit tougher, but there are buses. Also, there are plenty of educated people in NM, but those who aren't educated see little to no value in education. You're listing much bigger cities as your models, though, so maybe look at Dallas, Houston or Phoenix? Denver, too, but it's gotten quite pricy.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:10 PM

What's the music scene like? I only know about the symphony (my undergrad teacher was a principal there). I assume there's Mexican/Central American music (i gigged with a Sonora Santanera band there before), but what about Balkan, African, other Latin, European, Asian styles? Jazz,etc?

Also it was my impression you need a car? Definitely don't want to have a car.

Same goes for those other cities you mentioned, my experience visiting in Phoenix was that you definitely needed a car- not true? Never bern to Denver (will go next summer for a wedding), Dallas, or Houston. What do you like about those places? Are they walk/bikeable? Diverse music scenes?

I like big cities, no problem there. To me a place like Alberquerque seems small but if it ticked the boxes, cool.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 PM

If I have to compromise on one thing it would be climate, btw. I liked the warm and dry, but was too miserable having to drive everywhere and not having a good music scene (anyone who tells you LA has a huge music scene is mistaken; it has a huge ENTERTAINMENT scene).

Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraP View Post
If I have to compromise on one thing it would be climate, btw. I liked the warm and dry, but was too miserable having to drive everywhere and not having a good music scene (anyone who tells you LA has a huge music scene is mistaken; it has a huge ENTERTAINMENT scene).
Music counts sits under the entertainment umbrella.

Try Nashville.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
The OP is really limiting herself to a few cities with her criteria, especially with population size and the walkability factor. If she would consider "smaller" medium-sized cities minus the density you seem to be looking for in terms of making it completely walkable, it would open up several more options. One can live in a smaller city where a car is optional if one chooses core neighborhoods which will have the density of larger cities, minus the scale of course. Cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Denver and Minneapolis are good options that hit all of the other criteria including varied music scenes.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
I agree with kyle about the size of the city limiting the ops chances. College towns offer a great deal of walkable and usually fantastic public transit, much more well maintained than alot of big cities because tons of students use the buses as well. alot of college towns always have great music scenes and not just rock and more of an educated and dense populace with the university, alot of people into alternative medicine and acupuncture.

I would recommend chapel hill/carrboro area for sure ,maybe athens georgia or asheville or state college in pennsylvania, home of penn state. fort collins colorado or tempe arizona are great college towns as well out west. Tempe is a beautiful town

Old 11-15-2015, 01:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
If I have to compromise on one thing it would be climate, btw.
Then go for Chicago. It has everything on your list. You will never need a car, certainly liberal and tolerant, fantastic music scene, still affordable.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Size of city not so important. It's more what I want in it.

I found Cleveland's music scene super small (dude, the symphony orchestra's venue is on a college campus in the suburbs...seriously??) and everyone I know who has lived there says you need a car. In just the few days I was there once I found the same.

I think I'll have to give Chicago another look- it's very saturated with my instrument for classical music- my friends who have won competitions but refuse to move are all waitressing (or have a partner footing most bills). But for sure it's got most other styles- not much Balkan though, but there is a huge population from there. Been through there a couple times on gigs but they always hired from other cities, there were no groups there. I'm just not great at starting projects...or at least the networking and advertising part. I know there's a ton of Latin and good Arabic music though, experimental stuff (classical/jazz) too. Will do some research on health jobs there.

Thanks for reminder about Fort Collins, my friend lived there about 20 yrs ago and there was a small world music scene there then. Not sure what's happening now.

Nashville for sure doesn't have most of those genres I listed. It has a symphony but other than that is more a country, rock, blues town. I'm looking for world music and experimental mostly.

I don't know a ton about Tempe, Athens GA, Chapel Hill. Heard good things about way of life in Ashville but don't know about public transport, anyone I know who's been there are car people. Also don't know about music there. For certain state college in PA doesn't have the music scene I need or the public transit either. Maybe it's tolerable in the city itself but there's no regional rail/bus to speak of. You're really in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know a ton about the music scenes in Minneapolis, it's crazy cold there though, yes? It looks like public transport is ok though. Pittsburgh's music scene is a little small, if I had something setup it would be better (I was runner up for a gig years ago). I didn't feel like people were friendly then but again it was almost 10 years ago. Denver I also am confused about- some people tell me you must have a car, others say not needed. Again don't know much about music there other than classical scene (definitely adequate).

Anyone got more info on public transport in some of these cities or more details on the music scenes?

Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
What's the music scene like? I only know about the symphony (my undergrad teacher was a principal there). I assume there's Mexican/Central American music (i gigged with a Sonora Santanera band there before), but what about Balkan, African, other Latin, European, Asian styles? Jazz,etc?

Also it was my impression you need a car? Definitely don't want to have a car.

Same goes for those other cities you mentioned, my experience visiting in Phoenix was that you definitely needed a car- not true? Never bern to Denver (will go next summer for a wedding), Dallas, or Houston. What do you like about those places? Are they walk/bikeable? Diverse music scenes?

I like big cities, no problem there. To me a place like Alberquerque seems small but if it ticked the boxes, cool.
Dallas has the culture aspects, but it's very car-dependent, and it's definitely not what I'd call warm/dry. Summers in Dallas are hot/humid. Near 100 degree highs and 75+ degree lows are common in July and August. Scratch it and Houston both from your list if a comfortable summertime climate is important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.