U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

A cliché post, forgive me. I've been researching the topic since pretty much freshman year, and I have it narrowed down to where I would like to go and also know the risk associated with dropping everything and leaving. Money, no credit, getting a job, ect...

The clock is ticking, I have about 9 months to make my choice. During that time, I'm continuing to save and when I turn 18 (2 months) I'll begin building a credit score as much as I can.

I've gotten into the colleges I applied to in-state (currently living in East Lansing MI) but the ball just got dropped that I will be getting no family assistance for college. Up until about three months ago, it was all getting paid for. Mental illness/substance abuse of my parents has forced me out into my aunts house too, which I can only stay in until the end of senior year, so no matter what I need to move somewhere on my own and pay for it may that be a college dorm or apartment.

Now that I'm paying all my own, I have no desire to jump on the college train yet. I'd rather move somewhere and explore, do community college in my dream state while gaining residence, and live a little first. I have always had this mindset, but now it's just intensified now that I have to pay for college on my own.

As of now, and for awhile, my dream state has been Oregon, specifically Portland. And by living a little, I don't mean partying or getting wild. I simply mean exploring the great outdoors. Hiking, camping, adventures.

Honestly, I just need somewhere easy to move to. Portland is kinda of far fetched because it's expensive. Any city great for young people with rent that isn't astronomical (I'm looking at you L.A) that has a decent job market and is GREEN- by green I mean people bike and recycle and hike and there is as many trees as sky scrapers! I don't mind four seasons, but the less snow the better. It would be kinda nice to live a sunny city for awhile. I really would go anywhere really as long as it's not ultra conservative and open minded. I'm not really looking for my forever home, just somewhere new for a few years.

Colorado is also on my list because I have the option of living down there with my girlfriend for a year after high school- which would be nice, but I never considered Colorado before so I don't know much about it. I don't know what city yet, I believe its Denver. We'd be living with her cousin. The fact I don't know what city shows how little thought I've put into it.

I guess, ultimately my question is, if you wanted to delay college for a year/couple years, don't mind living from a suit case, and love the great outdoors, where would you go?

(Recommended by people I know Chicago, Austin, Portland, anywhere in Colorado, AZ---Chicago too cold and full of cement, AZ not green enough)

**ADDED** Good public transit would be major bonus. I hate driving. It gives me anxiety and I avoid it all cost I also LOVE water. Growing up In the great lakes state has spoiled me rotten. Lakes, oceans even more so, even just big rivers. I love water.

Last edited by mystic49; 11-15-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 11:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,437,888 times
One thing to do now that will sustain you in the future is to get a marketable job skill NOW that is good across state lines. One suggestion would be something like Pharmacy Technician. This is a fast program (only one of many, I have no connection to this) to go through and you can do it online at your own speed, then take the national test. You can do the externship at any CVS or Walgreens. Cost is only $625.(or $45. a month)!

Online Pharmacy Technician Training Courses | Penn Foster Career School

Here's the requirements for MI:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/la...5_496214_7.pdf

Old 11-15-2015, 12:38 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,517,357 times
I had some cities to suggest for you if you took away the sunny city requirement. Plenty of places that meet your requirement and are still green, but do have a bit of cold weather. You sound very smart though, so best of luck. But if you think Portland is expensive, then you're going to have to compromise on some things to find the place you want.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:59 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Please take Portland off your list for now. Too many like you move there and wind up on the streets. It is insanely expensive for someone without a professional degree and there are no jobs for people with a high school diploma that will sustain you unless you have a solid lead on a place to stay and people who can be relied on to help you out.

My advice would be to move to a city where you will have opportunity to find a career and bank some money for the future. Go to school and learn a trade. Don't reject a city at this point because of the weather. Look to see where you can learn some skills. Cleveland as an example is hiring people in the area of mechanical engineering. The jobs are begging for people, they train and pay really well. The cost of living here is very reasonable. You need to find a city like this where you can learn a trade. Once you are successful, then you can fulfill your dream of moving to one that is very expensive.

There are far more opportunities for training and jobs in the Midwest and far less competition. There are many states in the Midwest that have forests and lakes and are every bit as green as those in the West. I have lived in both places so I am speaking from experience. There is very little out West that you can't find in the Midwest but if you are determined to go West, don't do it until you have the means with which to survive.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,774 times
Thank you all for quick responses!

Weather isn't actually a major factor, job market is #1 priority. Out west actually doesn't matter much to me- I wouldn't mind either coast, or smack in the middle of the country. It's really all okay to me, I'm looking for something new but not permanent. And somewhere with a good school I could transfer to after attending a CC. Portland is my dream, but as I said, it's far fetched because of the cost of living so it was never a genuine consideration- simply a comparison. Maybe one day when I have the funds. As of now, from everything I am reading, it does appear the only places I could logically settle are in the Midwest, the "boring" cities (which actually don't seem all too boring, I think they just have bad reps because they aren't LA or NYC, ya know?)

The problem for me is due to lack of hype, I don't know much about the Midwest. I only hear/read about the coast for the most part.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,517,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic49 View Post
The problem for me is due to lack of hype, I don't know much about the Midwest. I only hear/read about the coast for the most part.
Minneapolis is a great Midwestern city that doesn't really feel like the Midwest. It's like the Seattle/Portland of the East coast/Midwest. Check it out. Great economy, affordable, green, excellent for biking, good public transit...really ticks all your boxes.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 PM

641 posts, read 542,999 times
tx

Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
How about checking out the various city forums on CD? You can get a lot of helpful information on the lessor hyped but really good cities where you can find jobs and the other features you are looking for.

Just go through the list of cities and start asking questions. When I decided to relocate from Portland back to the Midwest that's what I did and it helped me find just what I needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or