U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM

1,558 posts, read 743,256 times

Advertisements

I've generally noticed a higher proportion of lights on poles west of the Mississippi River than to the east. Here in the Atlanta area, the use of poles is gradually increasing, particularly in newer neighborhoods or major commercial areas. But there are still a lot of wires around.

Sandy Springs (northern Atlanta suburb) is actually in the process of transitioning some of its lights right now. There are a few intersections where the new light structures have been built, but are not yet operational, and the still functioning old wire-based lights are immediately adjacent. I do think the street aesthetics tend to be improved with the newer pole-based lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,181,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In general, are the traffic lights in your area mounted on poles or hung from wires? Where I live (Maryland), nearly all of them are on poles. There are a few that are still on wires, but they're gradually being replaced with the ones on poles. Also, I grew up in South Florida, and when I was there nearly all the lights were on wires. But in more recent years, it seems that they've been replaced with the ones on poles too.

Personally, I prefer the ones on poles. I just find them more aesthetically appealing, and I imagine they're less likely to be accidentally brought down as well.

So how are the lights where you live? And do you have a preference?
I'd stay still mostly wired in the Atlanta area, probably 60/40. In the Twin Cities it is all poles.

I prefer the poles. Wires just look cheap and unorganized. It is also more difficult to mount cameras or signal priority devices on wires, but the don't mount those (signal priority) on poles in Atlanta anyway.

Last edited by emcee squared; 11-18-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
I like the mast arm/poles that hang overhead and HATE the vertical poles on the corners, like in DC.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
My Guess one of the factor on Pole vs Wire is when the light is put up.

If its done as part of a intersection buildout / Major improvement, then they can put in pole, and easily bury the power/control cables.

If it done as part of this intersection needs a light now, the wire/cable route is quicker/cheaper since all the power/control cables are hung from the wire also. To come in after the fact to buy the power/control cable under many lanes of traffic would cost extra $'s

Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I like the mast arm/poles that hang overhead and HATE the vertical poles on the corners, like in DC.
I agree. Those corner poles are hard to see. Philadelphia used to have a lot of them (not sure if they still do), and one time I blew through an intersection and didn't see that there was a light -- and that mine was red -- until I was halfway through. (Fortunately, no one was coming on the side street.)

I should have been more clear in my original post, that I was comparing signals mounted on overhead mast arms (not side-corner poles) to those that are hung from wires.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,285,775 times
From what I've noticed in Corpus, most are on poles.

Where I'm from in Savannah, almost all are wired. So ugly. I've always wondered why they weren't poled, especially since Savannah sits close enough to the Atlantic to be affected by a hurricane. The low hanging trees don't help the matter regarding wires.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:50 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Traffic signals in Athens, GA are almost exclusively hung from wires. It looks cheap as hell, especially when it's windy, which makes the signals either tilt in the direction of the wind, or bounce up and down continuously.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:35 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,929,952 times
Southern New Hampshire - Vast majority on Poles
Central Connecticut - Vast majority on wires

I agree the ones on poles look 10x better

Old 11-19-2015, 03:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 3,846,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisFrance View Post
- New York State (excluding NYC & Long Island) hanging on wires.
The wires were removed from New York City 120 years ago.
They have to be underground.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Both wires and poles in my area of southern Indiana. The wired stoplights tend to be more common in commercial areas while the poles tend to be common in residential areas and newly developed spots. All stoplights are yellow plated in color with very few exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.