U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:06 PM

1,571 posts, read 750,454 times

Advertisements

Atlanta would be considered a "first tier" city by most standards, although of course it is considerably smaller than the nation's very largest metropolitan areas. For my everyday needs, I don't think there are many amenities missing these days in most metropolitan areas around the country with at least 1-2 million population. The largest cities can be enjoyable to visit but especially as I get older, it sounds more appealing to reside in the lower hassle environment of a more mid-sized area.

Amenities aside, I do think metropolitan areas in similar size brackets don't necessarily have the same qualities in terms of their urban structure - like Oklahoma City vs New Orleans suggested in a previous post, or on a larger scale, Houston vs Philadelphia. But many of the less "urban" major metropolitan areas (e.g. Charlotte or Austin) are currently undergoing significant development, so in a sense they are catching up to the more established cities. Most medium sized metros across the nation are also pretty diverse these days and getting more so all the time, even if the very largest places tend to be the most international.

Certain places that have minimal appeal to me include far flung, rather un-centered but heavily populated suburban parts of very large metropolitan areas, e.g. much of Long Island in New York or Southern California's Inland Empire. In a sense they have much of the disadvantage of big cities with the crowding and high cost, but less convenient access to the urban amenities. But I respect that everyone's mileage may vary and such places offer a lifestyle and amenities that suit many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 PM

952 posts, read 1,079,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
For me, I prefer first tier cities for visits, but I think second and third tier cities are more livable unless you are very wealthy or have a very high paying job.

I personally think the sweet spot for cities (to live in) is about 1 million to 3 million. At that size there are usually plenty of restaurants, bars, activities, entertainment options, etc, but they are often less expensive with less traffic.

If you can live in Tribeca, the Presidio, Dupont Circle in DC, etc, then by all means do that, but if not, then I think second tier cities are better than less desirable areas of first tier cities.
I agree with this.

The great think about living in a smaller, more affordable city is that you can afford to vacation to the larger, 1st tier cities.

I don't prefer the 1st tier cities as I'm not a big fan of the rat race that most of them have. I do better when things are more laid back.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:56 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times
Although first tier cities are fun to visit and explore and look at, it is not my preference to live in one. I have lived in NYC for two years and that was enough! I prefer small/mid sized metro areas.

I just moved to Columbus, OH four months ago. So far, I like it overall and cannot complain. However, if I were to nitpick, I would say that it is bigger than I would prefer. It has a metro population of 2 million now. I prefer metro areas that closer to 1 million or even less.

I have been to Minneapolis and although it was pretty neat to see, I felt like it was way too big, bustling and busy for me. Too many people, too many vehicles and stuff going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or