U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:00 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 10,576,353 times

Advertisements

I'm finding that you can live in some of these mid-size cities and not miss out on a thing that the top-tier cities provide, while at the same time living somewhere that's more affordable. Anyone else?

I love big cities, and I'm definitely a big city person. So naturally...I'm drawn to places like LA, NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC, etc. As far as the United States go...I have lived in Los Angeles, Tampa, and Raleigh. I would love to live somewhere like NYC or Boston, but they are currently outside my price range.

One city in the US that I'm fascinated with is Minneapolis. It provides everything the bigger cities do, has beautiful nature, is more affordable, etc. I've heard from some people that live there that they'll never go back to a first-tier city again.

I just moved to Raleigh a few months ago and love it. I'm making twice the salary I made in LA and living in an area with a much lower COL. I do wish it was a tad bit bigger, but it's good enough for me. I live right outside of Downtown in a walkable community, and Downtown itself is wonderful. We even have a pro hockey team, which is my favorite sport. And there's plenty of nature nearby.

Maybe a few years down the line I'll feel the need to put myself back in a super large city, but for now I'm finding there's incredible value in some of these mid-size cities.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 04:18 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,511,721 times
I base my happiness with where I live on how many Fortune 500 companies are headquartered, how many billionaires there are, the # of UHNWI's, and GaWC rank of the metro area I live in.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 PM

6,350 posts, read 7,021,215 times
Yeah I absolutely agree that some "big city folks" (i.e., excluding people who don't like big cities anyway) can live in mid-sized cities and not miss much of anything. But there are definitely some things to miss and it's somewhat of a compromise to not be in a first-tier city. It all depends on the amount of compromise you can tolerate.

For example, given the cities you mentioned, I can very easily see a distinction between NYC and the next tier. Minneapolis, which is indeed really awesome, would actually be on my 3rd or 4th tier so lots of sacrifices. But it's still within my tolerance level and I think I would be very content settling given the savings. But I do know what I'd be missing.

Tampa and Raleigh, both also cities that I like, would not be among my considerations for places to live. Too much sacrifice not worth the savings. But they aren't bad places at all, simply outside my tolerance level of compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I base my happiness with where I live on how many Fortune 500 companies are headquartered, how many billionaires there are, the # of UHNWI's, and GaWC rank of the metro area I live in.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 949,655 times
I'd like to live in an urban environment. Really like subways, so not having one in STL is a pretty big drag.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Tampa and Raleigh, both also cities that I like, would not be among my considerations for places to live. Too much sacrifice not worth the savings. But they aren't bad places at all, simply outside my tolerance level of compromise.
Yeah, I grew up in Tampa...and never liked it. And I have a really well paying job in Raleigh, but it's definitely smaller than what I'm used to after living in LA.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I'd like to live in an urban environment. Really like subways, so not having one in STL is a pretty big drag.
Doesn't St. Louis have a pretty extensive light rail system? A lot of these mid-size cities these days have one, and that's a pretty good substitute.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 949,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Doesn't St. Louis have a pretty extensive light rail system? A lot of these mid-size cities these days have one, and that's a pretty good substitute.
It's definitely not bad in terms of getting to and leaving downtown, but that's about it. I'd like something more extensive like NYC or Paris.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 PM

32,446 posts, read 55,355,193 times
Quote:
Haha I, on the other hand, **loathe to my core** whenever the metro area I grew up in performs well in any study, ranking, stat. I break out into hives whenever I see my hometown praised in any way, shape or form. Perhaps I should seek professional help?

lol

Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,511,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha I, on the other hand, **loathe to my core** whenever the metro area I grew up in performs well in any study, ranking, stat. I break out into hives whenever I see my hometown praised in any way, shape or form. Perhaps I should seek professional help?

lol
*yawns*

Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM

22,349 posts, read 32,283,320 times
Quote:
*yawns*

another one missed is the number of internet yawns that can be generated and where they are generated

as for professional help I think it has been suggeted on multiple accounts for certain people, but is probably fine as some folks can find solace in reading lists and believing they have higher worth because they live near things on a list

will see if I can dig up a list of highly ranked institutions for profesional help am sure many areas including the bay would do very well, if not I have doctor that can help with hives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or