U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are new yorkers undefeated in alcoholic consumption?
Yes, no city drinks more than new york 0 0%
No, new york is a city of honor students compared to... 41 89.13%
I vomited on my keyboard and can't respond properly 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2015, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,519,180 times
Reputation: 2935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC is not a super alcohol-centric town. I mean, for one, the city is the most Jewish on earth outside of Israel, and most Jews in NYC are Orthodox, meaning no alcohol.
This is one of the most ridiculous claims I've seen on this site in awhile.

Alcohol isn't forbidden in Judaism. Also, most Jews in New York City are not Orthodox anyway; the majority are Reformed.

Go to a heavily Russian neighborhood like Brighton Beach, and you'll meet lots of Jews--many of whom are heavy drinkers.

It would make more sense to base your argument around NYC's nearly 1,000,000 Muslims, but many of them choose to drink on occasion too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,273,942 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous claims I've seen on this site in awhile.

Alcohol isn't forbidden in Judaism. Also, most Jews in New York City are not Orthodox anyway; the majority are Reformed.
My "ridiculous claims" are based on actual data on the Jewish population in NYC. Your claims are ridiculous and not based on anything. Have you ever been to NYC? Where are all these Reform Jews? Even Manhattan Jews aren't Reform, for the most part. The NYC Jewish population is very different from the general U.S. Jewish population.

Your statement "alcohol isn't forbidden in Judaism" is silly, as 1. I never made such a claim, and 2. there is no singular interpretation of Judaism.

Here is the actual data on NYC Jews (and it's probably even more lopsided Orthodox now, in 2015):

Jewish Community Study of New York: 2011 #JCSNY UJA-Federation of New York

Orthodox Jews are so dominant in NYC that 75% of Jewish children in NYC are Orthodox. The Reform population is relatively small, much smaller than even the conservative population.

Among active Jews in NYC in 2015, I doubt more than 10% of Jews are Reform.

The reason I brought up Jews is because 1. Most (or a strong plurality) of NYC Jews are Orthodox and 2. Orthodox Jews generally don't drink (except for Purim and special events).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Go to a heavily Russian neighborhood like Brighton Beach, and you'll meet lots of Jews--many of whom are heavy drinkers.
OK, and? The vast majority of Jews in NYC (like 90%) aren't Russian. Whether or not Russian Jews drink (and they generally don't, BTW) is irrelevant to whether or not Jews as a whole drink. And Brighton Beach Russians aren't necessarily Jewish (they aren't even Russian, technically, many are former Soviet, from other nations).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
It would make more sense to base your argument around NYC's nearly 1,000,000 Muslims, but many of them choose to drink on occasion too.
No, because there aren't 1 million Muslims in NYC. Another silly claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,519,180 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
My "ridiculous claims" are based on actual data on the Jewish population in NYC. Your claims are ridiculous and not based on anything. Have you ever been to NYC? Where are all these Reform Jews? Even Manhattan Jews aren't Reform, for the most part. The NYC Jewish population is very different from the general U.S. Jewish population.

Your statement "alcohol isn't forbidden in Judaism" is silly, as 1. I never made such a claim, and 2. there is no singular interpretation of Judaism.

Here is the actual data on NYC Jews (and it's probably even more lopsided Orthodox now, in 2015):

Jewish Community Study of New York: 2011 #JCSNY UJA-Federation of New York

Orthodox Jews are so dominant in NYC that 75% of Jewish children in NYC are Orthodox. The Reform population is relatively small, much smaller than even the conservative population.

Among active Jews in NYC in 2015, I doubt more than 10% of Jews are Reform.

The reason I brought up Jews is because 1. Most (or a strong plurality) of NYC Jews are Orthodox and 2. Orthodox Jews generally don't drink (except for Purim and special events).

OK, and? The vast majority of Jews in NYC (like 90%) aren't Russian. Whether or not Russian Jews drink (and they generally don't, BTW) is irrelevant to whether or not Jews as a whole drink. And Brighton Beach Russians aren't necessarily Jewish (they aren't even Russian, technically, many are former Soviet, from other nations).


No, because there aren't 1 million Muslims in NYC. Another silly claim.
Can you show me where in that report does it say that the majority of NYC's Jews are Orthodox? I went through it, and it talks about county of residence, country of birth, and income demographics. But nowhere does it say that Orthodox Jews make up the majority of the Jewish population in NYC.

Yes, Hasidic Jews have a high birthrate, but that does not necessarily mean that most Jews in NYC are Orthodox.

The Muslim population in NYC is estimated to be anywhere between 600,000 and 1,000,000--and it's growing. So in that case, it's fair to say that there are nearly a million Muslims in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,447 posts, read 2,293,371 times
Reputation: 1361
On a per capita basis I would think the highest alcohol consumption would be in cities that host big "party" colleges like:
Madison, Wisconsin
Athens, Georgia
Tallahassee, Fla
State College, Penn

For bigger cities, the ones that immediately come to mind are New Orleans, Milwaukee, and Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Arlington
641 posts, read 545,018 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
^^^looks like Nevada is the overall winner here.
what he said,,

add florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 10:59 PM
 
346 posts, read 759,125 times
Reputation: 291
According to this link Boston is number 1, Norfolk VA is number 2, and Milwaukee is number 3. I believe New Orleans was listed at number 7 and I don't think New York made the top 25 list.

America's 25 drunkest cities | Health - WCVB Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2015, 05:42 AM
 
Location: downtown
1,826 posts, read 1,244,579 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Open your eyes.
I guess you only visit or live in certain spots of nyc.

In case you haven't known there are many places in NYC where it doesn't feel like that at all.

You want me to go to places I have no business of going to??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Dallas TX sucks
373 posts, read 266,236 times
Reputation: 241
Any city that gets piles of snow, has long winters, and has nothing to do drink, the most. NYC is far from having nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2015, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,043 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Reputation: 33089
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
Any city that gets piles of snow, has long winters, and has nothing to do drink, the most. NYC is far from having nothing to do.
That explains N. Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 05:58 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,114,563 times
Reputation: 15357
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I'm shocked at West Virginia. I would think it would be near the top. It's overall a depressed state and has the the number 1 party university in the country. And its near the bottom.
God's Country. Thou shalt not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top