U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 12:07 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times

Advertisements

^You are probably right cause I come from a business perspective but I'm not versed on the healthy product side of things. Here's an article from a month ago that kinda sums up how I assumed things were:

Fresh Market Buyout Isn't All That Appetizing - Bloomberg View

Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market are all categorized as natural and organic foods, and as you can see, Sprouts is considering a takeover of Fresh Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:47 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Natural Grocers (started as Vitamin Cottage in Colorado but now a full-service grocery store), which has 106 stores in 18 states. I think they are all west of the Mississippi.

Market of Choice which has 8 stores in Western Oregon.

I love Natural Grocers - we have one here in Tyler, Texas.

We also have a Fresh Grocery Store that is part of the Brookshire's chain, but it's just one store - a lot like HEB's Central Markets, which I also love. It isn't a "health food store" per se but it has a very large selection of natural and organic foods, as well as fresh baked breads, lots of vitamins, herbs, etc.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:16 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,753,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Trader Joes is not a healthfood store
Any chain that refuses to use GMOs in its store brand products certainly can be considered a health food store, at least to a degree.....even if not a full service one.

Obviously, someone could never do all of their weekly shopping at TJ's....that's not the kind of store it is.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Obviously, someone could never do all of their weekly shopping at TJ's....that's not the kind of store it is.
Why not? Many in fact do. They have a full produce section, a well-stocked meat section, a full dairy case, a large frozen goods section with everything from pizza to fish/seafood, veggies and desserts...a dry goods area with pasta/rice, jarred items and nuts/dried fruits, snack items, baked goods, coffee, juices/bottled beverages. If one doesn't live on prepared foods with certain brands and actually cooks from scratch it has pretty much everything you need. If one doesn't like to cook all the time they also have a huge selection of prepared items too. In the end it's all about the branding and if one can let go of their need for things like DiGiornos, Cheerios or Kraft Mac and Cheese, Trader Joe's has plenty of options to offset that.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:57 AM

4,266 posts, read 5,478,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Why not? Many in fact do. They have a full produce section, a well-stocked meat section, a full dairy case, a large frozen goods section with everything from pizza to fish/seafood, veggies and desserts...a dry goods area with pasta/rice, jarred items and nuts/dried fruits, snack items, baked goods, coffee, juices/bottled beverages. If one doesn't live on prepared foods with certain brands and actually cooks from scratch it has pretty much everything you need. If one doesn't like to cook all the time they also have a huge selection of prepared items too. In the end it's all about the branding and if one can let go of their need for things like DiGiornos, Cheerios or Kraft Mac and Cheese, Trader Joe's has plenty of options to offset that.
I'd agree and also point out that TJ's also sells a ton of junk food, both pre-prepared and packaged. I wouldn't consider it a health food store.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:47 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times
I love trader joes, whole foods has fantastic deli salad bar and some great produce and fish . I know that whole foods treats their employees well with high wages and stock options and great benefits but their prices are so high. whole foods employees have gainsharing, wage transparency, stock options, paid time off that rolls over to next year,they pay like 10$ for insurance and vision and dental for anyone who works at least 20 hours

the "cart wrangler " in the parking lot has better benefits than I do working as a programmer, I wish I had time to get a part time job at whole foods just for the employee store discount and the benefits. That headquarters in Austin treat them well it seems

trader joes has awesome produce and their organic produce isnt ridiculously high, they have this amazing apple cider with all these spices and great cornbread stuffing and corn pudding, they have these great fresh prepared salads and sandwiches for 3 or 4 dollars, even cool stuff for my dog like rawhide bones wrapped in dried chicken

even their frozen dinner section is amazing, food from all over the world. like thai sticky rice,polenta, cool pesto and funky flavored pizzas. I like their sweet potato fries and cornbread mix as well. Amazing soup selection as well. Their prices are as good as Kroger and harris teeter but places like Kroger are so dull

Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 AM

25,013 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The TJ where you shop must be a lot bigger than the one near me. There's not much fresh meat, the produce section is small and there are no prepared foods. There's never more than two kinds of frozen vegetables, no baking powder or dried beans or pulses. There's no yeast, let alone nutritional yeast. It's not a one stop for me.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 AM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The TJ where you shop must be a lot bigger than the one near me. There's not much fresh meat, the produce section is small and there are no prepared foods. There's never more than two kinds of frozen vegetables, no baking powder or dried beans or pulses. There's no yeast, let alone nutritional yeast. It's not a one stop for me.
I think you have an unusually small store - I live in a town of about 75,000 (nowhere near a large city). We have a single Trader Joes, which is not large as their stores go, yet we have all of the things you list. Well, I don't know about "nutritional yeast" but certainly you could buy all the necessities for for a week's meals from scratch. The produce section consists of maybe 6 double-sided tables/shelves about 8-10 feet long and a 20' long refrigerated case for greens, lettuces, fruit packs, salad mixes. The frozen vegies section of the freezer case is probably at least 6' long.

Of course, TJ's here sells only wine and beer, not hard alcohol, so we don't lose shelf space to that.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:21 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Any chain that refuses to use GMOs in its store brand products certainly can be considered a health food store, at least to a degree.....even if not a full service one.

We pretty much do. But we tend to buy our produce from Ralphs

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,224,762 times
AFAIK, every Fred Meyer supermarket has a section called "Natural Choices" and the produce sections have organic options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.