U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite dive bars in country?

Here's my list, in no particular order:

Tony Jaros River Gardens, Minneapolis
The Red Rooster, OKC
Davey's Uptown Ramblers Club; KCMO
The Cure Lounge, Louisville
Nob Hill Inn, Denver
Ye Ol' Watering Hole & Beer Can Museum, Northampton (Mass.)
Big Chicks, Chicago
The Palo Verde, Tempe
Nietzsche's, Buffalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,840,839 times
I can only list those that I've been to. And they no longer exist.

Dallas Kitchen- Marlow Heights, Md
Charlie's Pub- Oxon Hill, Md
Hallies Bar- West Virginia--A trailer on cinder blocks somewhere near Spruce Knob Mountain.
Hillbilly Heaven- Rt1, Fairfax, Virginia.

Hallies was one of the strangest bars I've ever been to.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:40 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Seafood Restaurants in Orange Beach

Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
I like the Red Dragon in Minneapolis. I've never been anyplace else like it. In the 80s it was a neighborhood blue collar bar, then it became a punk rock bar, then it became a big southside black hangout. It is still all of those things. The wonderous punch is amazing and terrifying. The decor is like a cheap 70s kung fu movie. It is the strangest, sleaziest, coolest bar in Minneapolis. It really ought to be in the French Quarter, or San Francisco 50 years ago.

The Dragon has some pretty entertaining yelp reviews:

Quote:
Good good.... and drugs.... Felt a little sketch but I would return.... Haven't had to get patted down for Fried Rice before but totally loved it.
Quote:
I came to Red Dragon while visiting Minneapolis from New York. My best friend just moved to Minnie, so I was looking for local hot spots to hit up and I heard tail (get it?) of the Dragon's wondrous punch. So we hit up Red Dragon feeling optimistic and excited to get crunk off of punch and lo mein.

First of all, the waitress was the bomb. She had pink hair, a chest tattoo and she kept it real. When I was halfway through the wondrous punch, she told me it was almost all rum and I was like, "Damn girl! Why didn't you tell me that before?" and she was like "...you didn't ask." BOOM.

But the waitress was also, sadly, the best part of Red Dragon.

As I was working on my punch, my friend tapped me on the shoulder and motioned to the couple sitting in the booth next to ours. I look up and, lo and behold, a girl is talking on the phone, sitting next to her boyfriend who is at LEAST twice her age, and he is...wait for it....fingering her under the table. Looking bored as hell, might I add. And when their friend returned from the bathroom a few minutes later, she didn't seem the least bit phased. Just dining as usual. Meanwhile my friends and I were forced to sit waiting for our check, staring down at our plates of meat covered in "white sauce".

That's right folks. Couples get their finger popping on at the Red Dragon.

On the plus side, the music was nothing but soul (I heard Roy Ayers and Anita Baker in succession); and it turns out that Red Dragon is the hot spot for almost every Black person in Minneapolis, because I saw more of us there that night than I saw in my whole 6-day visit combined. I wanted to stay longer, in solidarity, but even the wondrous punch couldn't right all that wrong.

Quote:
My girlfriend ate a cream cheese wonton off the floor of this place after a Wonderous Punch, I almost vomited. Thats the wonder of the Punch.

Quote:
The food is horrendous. The decor is somewhere between brothel-chic and silent-movie Chinatown. The drinks knock you on your ass. (I once had three wondrous punches and felt like I'd been kicked to the curb). The wait staff vacillate between menacing and engaging.

Quote:
When I went here 5 years ago,
the only other time I've been here,
my best friend ended up roaming the street
with her underwear around her neck a
after she had decided to pee on some girl's bike
that was locked up on a street sign
out in front of my friend's apartment.
Her reason for doing so: "that girls a . .*****. . or whatever. ."
And then my friend proceeded to vomit into her own hair.

Quote:
The fantastic people watching and dense alcoholic beverages construct an absolute wonderland.

And what inhabits a wonderland?

A Moby look alike passing out for an hour only to wake up and throw up on the floor/his own shoes. The table pays off the waiter to let them leave the throw up there. Eventually they leave and a woman walks through the throw up, tracking it everywhere. Then a big party comes in and they move two tables together ON TOP OF THE THROW UP.

Then I threw up.

Awesome. 100 stars.

Quote:
Good people watching? Check. Drinks so strong you'll likely still be drunk in the morning after just one? Check. Girls doing coke in the bathroom while a waitress watches? Uhhh, check?

This place is skeezy as hell, but a fun bar to visit, nonetheless.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 11-21-2015 at 01:57 AM..

Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
http://www.totalhappyhour.com/previe...f5aa1be523.jpg

a few blocks from my home actually

their neighbor has much better food and great burgers

Old 11-21-2015, 12:18 PM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Love this dump in the Belltown neighborhood of Seattle.

Shorty's - Seattle WA

Old 11-21-2015, 12:54 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I like the Red Dragon in Minneapolis. I've never been anyplace else like it. In the 80s it was a neighborhood blue collar bar, then it became a punk rock bar, then it became a big southside black hangout. It is still all of those things. The wonderous punch is amazing and terrifying. The decor is like a cheap 70s kung fu movie. It is the strangest, sleaziest, coolest bar in Minneapolis. It really ought to be in the French Quarter, or San Francisco 50 years ago.
Great post. I used to hang out at the Red Dragon when I lived in Minneapolis. I preferred it to Liquor Lyle's, the Bulldog, Mortimer's, and the CC Club.

The Turf Club in St. Paul is fun too.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:37 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
My college bar which is sadly now closed. Dorney and Malone's in The Bronx-242nd and Broadway, last stop on the 1 train. The BX still has some great Irish dive bars though.

At Dorney's the bartenders would close the blinds and lock the doors after 4AM for some select people LOL. That was always the best. And you were guaranteed a free drink at least 1 out of 3 all night. They really got the concept of buybacks.

Popular watering hole closes after bust - The Riverdale Press

Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM

24,973 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I can only list those that I've been to. And they no longer exist.

Dallas Kitchen- Marlow Heights, Md
Charlie's Pub- Oxon Hill, Md
Hallies Bar- West Virginia--A trailer on cinder blocks somewhere near Spruce Knob Mountain.
Hillbilly Heaven- Rt1, Fairfax, Virginia.

Hallies was one of the strangest bars I've ever been to.
LOL I went to a trailer bar in Fayetteville, NC. I think it was called The Tropical. I wasn't going to drink out of a glass in that place.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 AM

7,991 posts, read 16,048,592 times
Billy's Cafe in Fall River, MA. Unfortunately no longer in business.

The place was a gem. It was the perfect crowd. You had your classic unemployed old mill town regulars, cops because they did the 'ol "lock the doors, it's after 2am" thing, and local politicians (best Chourico and Chips sandwich in the city).

The bartender on Friday nights, Norm (I know- too perfect), was an undertaker by day and bartender by night. There was no computer for entering orders. He- allegedly- wrote things down. I could drink (shots, beers, mixed drinks, drinks for friends) from 7pm to 4am and my tab would be somewhere between $7 and $11. I watched a few fights, my best friend invited his great grandmother to the strip club, I saw a drunk prostitute expose herself to a cop who then told her that if she was "any uglier, she'd certainly be arrested for that." I sat next to a guy who brought his pet baby ducks and let them walk all over the bar. Nobody even batted an eyelash. I sang "my heart will go on" blackout drunk on karaoke night and had a Cambodian grandmother tell my that I was "terrible." I watched a Vietnamese transgender individual named, "Stevie" sing a hauntingly beautiful rendition of Adelle's rolling in the deep.

It's the bar we went to when my friend's mother's funeral. After we drank for hours, we played credit card roulette to determine who picked up the tab. Our friend Matt lost and my friend whose mother had died said, "Matt, I'm sorry for your loss." I lost a girlfriend after taking her there because she couldn't stand the place and couldn't be with someone who would go there.

Billy's closed for good in the early morning hours of January 1, 2014 after 93 years in business and I was one of the last people out the door. I don't think I'll ever find anything that compares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.