U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 02:46 PM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times

Advertisements

Though a TV show (rather than movie or book) I think Law and Order does a pretty good job of depicting life in NYC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 04:43 PM

350 posts, read 466,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
San Francisco- The Room
Chicago- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Detroit- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
California, in general- San Andreas
Washington D.C.- Olympus Has Fallen
Munich, Bavaria, Germany- Mein Kampf
New York City- Die Hard With A Vengeance
haha nice

Old 11-28-2015, 09:39 AM

350 posts, read 466,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
A Game of Thrones: King's Landing.
:^)

Old 11-28-2015, 12:54 PM

628 posts, read 758,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Suburban Minneapolis - Juno

It was written while Diablo Cody was living here and you can really tell, the characters and dialogue have Minneapolis written all over them.
How so? Just curious because I love that movie, but it seems it could be set in any suburban area. Is it subtle things like the stores they go to or the "penny saver" ads?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:25 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
John Grisham has published many books based in small town/rural Mississippi. Though fiction and based in the fictional Ford County, it shows a good perception of life there from the 60's until 2000's. Many of his books also focus on Biloxi, the Delta area, and other real cities in Mississippi. He has another book, Grey Mountain, which is based on a small town in West Virginia in coal country.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:15 PM

340 posts, read 486,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Montreal -- Nearly all French Canadian films.
New Jersey (Jersey City?) -- Palookaville
Chicago -- Uncle Buck
Arlen, Texas -- King of the Hill
Arlen, Texas is not actually a real place though...

Old 11-28-2015, 04:27 PM

340 posts, read 486,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
New Orleans - Love Song for Bobby Long

East Texas - Bernie

Office Space - Austin and Dallas

Rural Louisiana - Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, and Hope Floats

Small towns in Germany - The Nasty Girl

The worst parts of Appalachia - Winter's Bone

Savannah - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (really could be set in any number of deep south midsize cities - it got the "feel" right)

Rural Texas and Louisiana - The Apostle

Rural Louisiana - Passion Fish

Rural Louisiana - Schultze Gets the Blues

As you can tell, I'm pretty familiar with Louisiana - LOL!
I really liked the movie Love Song for Bobby Long.

It should be noted that Winter's Bone was set (and filmed on location) in the Ozarks of southen Missouri (in and around Branson) and not in Appalachia.

Also, Hope Floats was set and filmed in Smithville, TX (which not too far from Austin) and not in Louisiana.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:05 PM

53 posts, read 62,876 times
I grew up in Suburban Chicago, and the already-mentioned John Hughes 80s flicks show a great side of life in the northern suburbs during a prosperous time. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation also gets the Chicago 'burbs right -- the freezing weather, Bears hats, the "hey Santa Claus" singers on the city streets at Christmastime, etc.

One of the few movies to REALLY get the Chicago weather right is the 2014 movie Reasonable Doubt. Rarely do movies get the weather of certain cities right -- no matter what city they're depicting, it's almost always summertime unless a different season is needed for plot purposes. Reasonable Doubt actually gets Chicago weather right -- the constant gray-ness, overcast skies, people bundled up in huge puffy coats, etc.

I think the TV show Cougar Town does a pretty decent job of actually depicting a certain type of culture in Florida (I lived in FL for several years). Middle-aged women who look fantastic but are mildly alcoholic, constant wine-guzzling, relationships constantly changing, etc. Pretty accurate actually!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:54 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,343,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Though a TV show (rather than movie or book) I think Law and Order does a pretty good job of depicting life in NYC.
Ha! I think not. Can't tell you how many folks I've met who think life here is like L&O, like we're always discovering bodies in the street on our way home or living next door to sexual psychopaths. Not. Life here is much more prosaic. For instance:

Frequency -- Clever sci fi thriller with good depictions of borough life
Six Degrees of Seperation -- Wicked satire of Manhattan's upper crust
Clockers--Richard Price's tale of drug dealing in the PJs, via Spike Lee

Old 11-29-2015, 05:45 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Some cities are too big and segmented to depict well in a single movie.

But for a sliver of Boston, Mystic River is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.