Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullyoftoronto View Post
No offence but who would want to sound southern? Southern accents remind me of trailer parks, lynchings and people marrying their cousins.
Uh, as well as some of the most divine and well-recognized natural scenery, literature, and cuisine in the country. Markedly Northern accents probably remind them of condescending liberal SJWs, dirty and dying factories populated by poor immigrants, and viciously racist police forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Southern scenery? Swamps, fields and unimpressive mountains. The landscape of the western U.S is much more impressive.
Are you seriously judging people's worth on what their local landscapes look like?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:45 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Southern scenery? Swamps, fields and unimpressive mountains. The landscape of the western U.S is much more impressive.
Well you can just keep that elitism in the west, bucky.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Even though that happens most of the time, that doesn't always happen. My wife is from Boston and came here to NC in 1988 with a thick Boston/NE accent. I loved it. After about 10 years, it gradually wore off and now it's pretty much gone. She doesn't have a southern accent, but it is a very neutral and hard to place. I find accents very interesting here on the east coast. I think it's one of the things that makes our nation so fun and interesting. Good thread!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Are you seriously judging people's worth on what their local landscapes look like?
You just judged the entire North (by their accents) as having social justice warriors, poor immigrants and racist police forces.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Even though that happens most of the time, that doesn't always happen. My wife is from Boston and came here to NC in 1988 with a thick Boston/NE accent. I loved it. After about 10 years, it gradually wore off and now it's pretty much gone. She doesn't have a southern accent, but it is a very neutral and hard to place. I find accents very interesting here on the east coast. I think it's one of the things that makes our nation so fun and interesting. Good thread!
Both my father and I soaked up the accents from the states we spent time in. Louisiana for me, Kansas for him.

We returned to NY sounding like we weren't from there.

So I agree, it doesn't always happen that northerners don't lose their accent.

It may have helped that my family is already country. We slipped into it easier I guess?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

I've lived in Boston my entire life. I've had my accent made fun of countless times. But I amongst many other northerners feel the same about the southern accent. I've travelled to the south plenty of times, and I find the southern accent to be totally annoying
As a Northerner I can discern two types of southern accent; one is rather charming and sweet ... a soft drawl that brings to mind Scarlett O'Hara, Blanche DuBois,magnolias, Spanish moss draped live oaks, mint juleps, and Robert E. Lee. It is sweet, but very old fashioned and disappearing.

The other one sounds to us Yankees like ignorant hillbillies, trailer parks, rednecks, Jesse Helms, Strom Thurman. Not so much annoying, but not elegant nor refined.

Don't get me started on Boston accents. My name when visiting Bean Town is CLACK PAHK !!!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Northerners have an accent?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You just judged the entire North (by their accents) as having social justice warriors, poor immigrants and racist police forces.
I'm from the North myself. I was making a point that the existence of unlikable things in the South hardly means no one does or should want to have a Southern accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
We have multiple, like the Minnesota accent, the Chicago/Great Lakes accent, the New York accent, the Boston accent, and the Rhode Island accent.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? Are you pulling our legs, Nei?

I'd argue there are more micro-regions of accents in the north than in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.