U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 03:17 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,747,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I have now lived in the UP for almost two years. I don't notice an accent here. Poor grammar and weird words, yes (I cringe every time I hear "yous guys"). Accent, no.

I think the argument that there isn't a "Northern Accent" is because there isn't. There IS a Southern accent and a Boston accent, a Jersey accent, a Long Island accent, a North Dakota accent, etc. etc. but no "Northern" accent.
Why are people so ignorant?

EVERYBODY, EVERY HUMAN IN THE WORLD, EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING, EVERY MAN WOMAN AND CHILD, ALL OF THEM, ALL OF US, YOU TOO, has an accent.

There is no such thing as speaking with NO accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 4,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I've lived in MN most of my life and when I watch TV shows like news stations out of NY or "The View" etc... i don't hear any accent - the way they speak is like what I hear from neighbors, friends, family here in MN. I would detect a difference.

So, all you smarties, explain that.
I lived In Ontario (Canada) my who life and NEVER heard my Canadian accent until I left the country. People on American news stations like CNN and NBC sounded "just like me" too .. But that wasn't true. You probably have a Minnesotan accent, likely some variant of it and don't notice it. Leave your state for a year and come back and open your ears up. You'll be blown away.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:02 PM

3,664 posts, read 1,546,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Everyone I know that has moved down South sounds different, it might take a few years but you can hear the southern influence, some even have more of a general American accent.
It's funny. I've lived in the Charlotte area my whole life. I have a southern accent, but it's not a strong one. My wife moved here from Boston (where she was raised) in 1988 and had a thick Boston accent. After about 15 years, it started fading away. Now there's no sign of it. She has a fairly neutral American accent now. I have a friend of mine who moved here from Long Island in 1988 too, yet he still has his LI accent. I just love the different accents here on the East Coast and how they change as one migrate and sometimes they don't, lol.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:44 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,610 times
Quote:
I've lived in MN most of my life and when I watch TV shows like news stations out of NY or "The View" etc... i don't hear any accent - the way they speak is like what I hear from neighbors, friends, family here in MN. I would detect a difference.

So, all you smarties, explain that.
It's possible you and everyone you know has no discernible accent. However it's far more likely you hear yourself as having no accent.

When I would come back to Rochester from Illinois and turn on 106.9 K-R-O-C (top 40ish radio station) and listen to the VJs say the station 'You're listening to 106.9 KROC!' The 'O' in 106 and the 'O' in KROC were dead giveaways I was back in MN. It's a very pronounced 'oah' similar to 'boah-T' and 'coah-T'

Try these. Bag. Flag. Milk. Those are dead giveaways too.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
It's possible you and everyone you know has no discernible accent. However it's far more likely you hear yourself as having no accent.

When I would come back to Rochester from Illinois and turn on 106.9 K-R-O-C (top 40ish radio station) and listen to the VJs say the station 'You're listening to 106.9 KROC!' The 'O' in 106 and the 'O' in KROC were dead giveaways I was back in MN. It's a very pronounced 'oah' similar to 'boah-T' and 'coah-T'

Try these. Bag. Flag. Milk. Those are dead giveaways too.
Wish you were here so could do a compare. How do you say boat????? I really don't get the bag -flag-milk. I've heard of the Minnesoooooota thingy but never heard anyone but people from elsewhere say it that way.

I have a friend in San Diego CA - I'm going to call her and do a compare. She may be a bad one though - even though she grew up in CA she picked up the eastern Cambridge accent.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,610 times
I live in MN now.

Bag and flag are said with an 'a' like cake. Almost like 'bage' and 'flage'. Milk is often pronounced melk. An -eh- instead of an -ih'

Old 04-27-2016, 07:26 AM

582 posts, read 778,006 times
Quote:
Wish you were here so could do a compare. How do you say boat????? I really don't get the bag -flag-milk. I've heard of the Minnesoooooota thingy but never heard anyone but people from elsewhere say it that way.
From hearing people from the North and Canada, the vowel in "boat" has moved to a more 'pure' vowel up there without the diphthong quality found in other versions of English. So to me it sounds kind of like the Spanish or Italian "O" sound, but held longer. In the transcription system IPA, it would be written [boːt]. General American is [boʊt], that is there's really two vowels behind each other and it's more like "bowt" than "bote". (It's difficult to convey exactly what I mean). There's plenty of other variations around the nation too, in my dialect for example "boat" and "bout" are homophones.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 697,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
My mother moved to Southern Maryland from the Midwest, and she definitely speaks with a Southern Maryland accent now, not a Midland one. She's gotten comments when in her hometown about her accent because the Midwestern accent is nearly gone and people perceive her as not from there.
So there can definitely be a change from a Midland Accent to a Southern Accent.

Curiously, I had her take the NYT Dialect Quiz and it gave an odd result for "Most Similar Cities": Des Moines, Richmond, and DC. I Attribute this to the fact that although her accent has become noticeably Southern, her terms for things remain Midwestern. For comparison, my own results were Richmond, Norfolk, Greensboro
Hmm...

I also am from MD and my parents came out of the Northeast, and when they did the quiz, their accents matched their home areas. When I took the quiz, it came out with Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Birmingham as the cities. I think that mine was inaccurate because it based it all off of the fact that I say "y'all" and "yard sale"... I imagine that if it focused on pronunciation it would show somewhere more to the north (MD, DC, perhaps VA).

Really, we can see it varies from speaker to speaker. Some people pick up accents better than others, and the children of transplants may sound noticeably similar to their parents or sound nothing like them.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:38 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,444,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Northerners don't have accents.
Tell that to someone from Noo Yawk, Joizey, Chicaaaaaahgo, or Baahst'n

Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,444,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullyoftoronto View Post
No offence but who would want to sound southern? Southern accents remind me of trailer parks, lynchings and people marrying their cousins.
Exhibit A in why Southerners find Northerners arrogant.

PS--there are a lot more than one "Southern accent". Even in the same state. The "Appalachian" accent is the most "trailer park" sounding, if you must (think Dolly Parton). Then there are more "regular" Southern accents e.g. Bill Clinton, and the coastal "Charleston" accent, mentioned above as "non-rhotic".

The movie Steel Magnolias actually has many varieties of Southern, even though most of the actresses were not native to the South. Dolly P's was more of a "mountain" accent, most of the others were more "regular" Southern, and Olympia Dukakis's was the more upper-class/"Charleston" accent.

Hollywood is notorious for majorly botching Southern accents, but most of these actresses (especially Olympia, who can just as convincingly do a sharp NY accent (cf Moonstruck) did a great job, except that Sally Field completely lost her accent altogether in the cemetery scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or