U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,771 times

Advertisements

Generally transplants to the South head to places were there are already thousands of other transplants. My cousin moved from Pittsburgh (grew up primarily in West Virginia's Northern Panhandle which has Pittsburgh influences) to Raleigh, NC and her accent hasn't really changed. It may have softened some, but she hasn't really picked up a southern accent. She now lives in Cary where it's rare to hear a southern accent.

It's funny though, but when she comes back to SW PA to visit, she notes that the accent is very heavy and it sounds annoying to her. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,138,587 times
Default Why don't Northerners seem to lose their accents when they move South?

Easy! They don't want to.

What I'd like to know, is why Northerners think that New Orleanians speak with a strong southern accent like Georgia residents. All the movies have us speaking like we are from Alabama or Georgia. A New Orleans ("yat") accent sounds more like slow, melodious Brooklyn-ese than like a standard Southern accent.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
That's a terrible inaccurate answer. There is no one reason but that is certainly not one of them, or at least not a common one.

Quote:
What I'd like to know, is why Northerners think that New Orleanians speak with a strong southern accent like Georgia residents. All the movies have us speaking like we are from Alabama or Georgia. A New Orleans ("yat") accent sounds more like slow, melodious Brooklyn-ese than like a standard Southern accent.
Media. The media never gets it right, and that is all most people know of New Orleans.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM

149 posts, read 93,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Don't say that to Bostonians/New Yawkers.

Boston, New York and Philadelphia all have distinct accents, not just the first two bud.

They're all similar sounding to someone who isn't versed.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
Ummm...it's very hard to lose an accent. It might take a couple of years to learn a language, losing an accent takes a couple of decades. If Southerners move to the North and "lose their accent" it's usually because their accent was not that noticeable in the first place, not all Southerners sound like Forrest Gump characters

Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Ummm...it's very hard to lose an accent. It might take a couple of years to learn a language, losing an accent takes a couple of decades. If Southerners move to the North and "lose their accent" it's usually because their accent was not that noticeable in the first place, not all Southerners sound like Forrest Gump characters
Not true for everybody. Again, that depends on the person. Something people seem to be stubbornly ignoring in this thread.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I had a friend born in Georgia, moved to England with his family (mom, er "mum" is from there), moved back to GA for 6th grade. He to this day still has a noticeable british accent. It's not as strong as someone who has lived in England their whole life but he definitely doesn't sound American. Had another friend I met freshman year of high school who grew up somewhere in the UK. Had an even stronger british accent but I haven't spoken to him in years so I have no idea if it stuck.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 6,195,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Some people's accents flatten out when living in an area--from what they originally had--and some take on some of the local accent. I have no clue why certain people never lose their original accent and some change.
Over the years, I've been told I have a "little bit of a NY accent," "sounds like a mid-western accent," sounds like you're from Boston," and "sounds like a local" when living in the SW. Wow!
Idk, maybe they're still keeping in touch with family/friends?

Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 AM

305 posts, read 238,173 times
Quote:

+1000. I hate this also. My grandmother was french creole and I was born in Mobile, Alabama, which often has a very different accent than the rest of the state of Alabama. But I don't have a "typical" southern accent, and I speak very similar to the man in this youtube clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eYqOKL58Mw

But people don't believe I am from the South when I travel. They think everybody in the South either speaks like Forrest Gump or Paula Dean if they are a female. I am like you should really get out more.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
But people don't believe I am from the South when I travel. They think everybody in the South either speaks like Forrest Gump or Paula Dean if they are a female. I am like you should really get out more.
People everywhere have their assumptions and ideas about what another state or region looks like, sounds like, and acts like; but few of us bother to find out for ourselves the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or