U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,224,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Maybe some times. But in general. When Southerners move North, its amazing how quickly they can lose their accents . But you hear Northerners living in Georgia or TN and they still talk like Yankees. And they've lived there for years. You'd think living there their accents would at least soften up a bit. I hear people in Colonial Williamsburg. The Northern accents from the retirees there always jump out like a sore thumb. The worst part is they still seem think they speak better than Southerners. Its kind of insulting. But they don't understand how bad they sound to our ears. Why is this?
You know what's more amazing? No one up North puts down on you just for being from the south. Ever. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:22 AM

21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
You know what's more amazing? No one up North puts down on you just for being from the south. Ever. Why is this?

LOL...too funny! Bless your heart.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 AM

44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL...too funny! Bless your heart.
You took the words rat out of mah mouth, Punkin Head.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 27 days ago)

9,838 posts, read 21,144,826 times
I have many family that moved from rural Kentucky to Ohio and NW Indiana. The first generation never looses their accent, it's the second generation that has the dominant accent of their region.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:23 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Completely false. Have you never been to New England, Noo Yawk, or Wiscahhhnsin?
Wisconsin isn't "the north" ......... their accent is upper mid-west

Accents are funny though - being from upstate NY we do have some accent points and speech styles, but generally they don't stick out that much. Although, I did have a guy in San Diego once call me out to within 15 miles of my hometown because he went to school in the area - said he hadn't heard anyone like me since college. It shocked those in our group because they didn't think I had much of an accent.

I've picked up a little bit in travel as well, living in different places.

I know many from back home that have moved south and immediately started carrying a southern accent - I always assumed it was to fit in a bit.

I also know people from NYC & Boston that exaggerate their accents - these are the same dopes that think it means something to be from that area and they put on their accent to impress others ...... it doesn't

In my experience, the accent points are softening in each generation - more people are moving around, TV and other media puts forth different speech that people would otherwise not be experiencing, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 AM

I hope I never lose my Southern accent. It's morphed as I've moved from Louisiana, to Texas, to Virginia, then NC, then AL, then GA, then MD, then Texas again...but it's definitely southern and I consider it an asset, not a liability.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:11 PM

25,029 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
When my friends from NC, born in Southern VA, went to NYC for a week, they said everyone commented on their lovely accent.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:01 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,389,677 times
It's sad when places lose their local dialect; I think it's just a function of today's more connected (and self-conscious) world. I love accents-all of them. And I knew people from down South that lived in Philly for decades that never lost their accent. One in particular was a friend of my Moms from Louisiana. I think they became such good friends because they talked faster than just about anybody in the city and could actually understand eachother haha.

The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - CityLab

Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 775,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Maybe some times. But in general. When Southerners move North, its amazing how quickly they can lose their accents . But you hear Northerners living in Georgia or TN and they still talk like Yankees. And they've lived there for years. You'd think living there their accents would at least soften up a bit. I hear people in Colonial Williamsburg. The Northern accents from the retirees there always jump out like a sore thumb. The worst part is they still seem think they speak better than Southerners. Its kind of insulting. But they don't understand how bad they sound to our ears. Why is this?
You don't hear TV folks saying Y'all unless it is a Hee Haa rerun or Dolly Parton being interviewed.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
You don't hear TV folks saying Y'all unless it is a Hee Haa rerun or Dolly Parton being interviewed.
Well, it's their loss then. "Y'all" is a great word.

All y'all are missing out on some fun!

(Actually, it's said more like "Alla y'all" for the record.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or