Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Legacy cities or non legacy
Legacy city 69 69.00%
Non legacy city 22 22.00%
No preference 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:03 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I think it serves the same purpose.
Indeed, and I do call them "rock lawns".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 07:13 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I think the OP is misusing the term "legacy city." AFAIK, the term was invented by this study. It basically is a rebranding of the Rust Belt. Cities explicitly included are: Akron, Albany, Baltimore, Birmingham, Buffalo, Camden, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Detroit, Flint, Gary, Milwaukee, Newark, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Saginaw, Saint Louis, South Bend, Syracuse. and Youngstown. Another, even larger list can be seen here. But basically it's any older city with an industrial past which hasn't transitioned to be significantly gentrified. Cities like Boston, NYC, or San Francisco are thus excluded, even though they also are not Sun Belt cities.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Sunbelt landscape = post WW2 development, single family bungalows, manicured lawns, etc.
That exists everywhere; it's not exclusive to the Sunbelt.

Quote:
New Orleans may not have seen the same rate of growth as other Sunbelt cities, but it's hardly been stagnant. It's the Sunbelt's legacy city. Simple as that.
A legacy city within the geographical Sunbelt. Exactly.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:41 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That exists everywhere; it's not exclusive to the Sunbelt.
The prevalence of these things, as well as the styles most commonly found are unique to the Sunbelt. More specifically, the South Central Sunbelt.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:16 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
I choose legacy cities. They are far more interesting on many levels. Many non-legacy cities tend to be boring, sterile, and bland in my view.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:05 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Legacy cities and non-legacy cities have different advantages and disadvantages. Legacy city refers to a city that largely boomed in the early-mid 20th century. They are mostly in the Northeast and Midwest, have strong cultural fabric, good public transit, rich architecture, and well endowed cultural institutions. They also have higher concentrations of poverty, lower median income, more abandonment, and slow or negative population growth. Examples are Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburg.

Non legacy cities boomed more recently, are experiencing rapid growth, have higher median incomes than legacy cities. However, they are lacking in historic architecture, strong cultural institutions, public transit, and walkability.

Which type of city do you prefer and why?
By this definition, how many cities would truly be non-legacy cities?

"Fast growing" cities like Atlanta, Denver, Miami, and Seattle aren't that much bigger than they were in 1950. Even places like Columbus, OH and Portland, OR have grown more slowly than the national population has since 1950.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:18 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Well, here in Boston, if a person gets hit by a car, they walk around to the driver's side door and say "hey, you just hit me!"

In the non-legacy cities if a person gets hit by a car, they're dead.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Legacy = old

No thanks

Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Legacy cities that blend the old and new. In Minneapolis you have the Guthrie theatre and the new Vikings stadium and new luxury condos right next to the old mill/warehouse district along the Mississippi River. Old cathedrals within a stones throw of modernist art galleries. The MIA building - old beautiful stone architecture with modern addition. The depth of history with gleaming modernism is beautiful.

The loop in Chicago and the near north neighborhoods are great examples as well.

When I visit Dallas or Phoenix I miss the old buildings and sense of history.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM

307 posts, read 330,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The sunbelt surely has Cali bungalows around LA and some even in Houston. But the RANCH HOME is King and versions to McMansions.

But back to Single-family BUNGALOWS w/manicured front-lawns. DO YOU KNOW that the single Bungalow is a Northern Midwest staple? Especially a OLD LEGACY CITY LIKE CHICAGO.

Really, it was growing its Bungalow-belt the same time as LA. Just differing styles. That was 1910-1930 those most extend that to 1930 especially. Then Cali/LA had the Ranch become King.

Chicago though continued with Tudor-bungalows then its Mid-century modern varieties through the early 60s when it became grown out totally to its suburbs.

Some call them OLD in this thread but that 1910-really 1930 (some add to 1940) Frank Lloyd Wright/Tiffany inspired Craftsman varieties. Are 1/3 the city today. With 80,000 in the city limits built.

Chicago Building Types: Bungalows | Moss Architecture

Another 1/3 probably is the 50s-60s varieties.

----------------- 1910-1930 bungalow belt ---------------- 1950s-60s mid-century

May I ask where you're from DavePa? Your posts always intrigue me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.