U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 11:22 PM

73 posts, read 81,272 times

Advertisements

I've been told that Southern California is the most urban horse-keeping in the United States.

For example in Burbank, there is a major equestrian center with shows every weekend, public riding rings and miles of trails, tack shops, feed stores, etc along busy commuter roads with sidewalks, stoplights, major entertainment companies (jobs), and minutes from urban Los Angeles. People keep horses as normalized pets/companions in small residential backyards and are often seen riding down the street (there are even tunnels under the highways designed for horses). Practically every other house has a small one or two stall barn in the backyard, yet the houses all look different/organic and are in no way part of a planned community development.

Are there other cities with this urban/small-acreage horse-keeping lifestyle so close to the city centre? Specifically, anything in: New York, DC, Philly, Boston, Denver, Austin, or Orlando near their equestrian centers?

What about smaller cities or just horse-keeping in residential-zoned areas in general (near job centers and conveniences like grocery stores, as opposed to rural on acreage)?

If not, how on earth did this come to exist in a place like Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
The only two major cities where I've seen horses/mules casually trotting about near the city center are Houston and Miami.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,377,878 times
Yes, Philly is known for this. I still see them today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletch...an_Riding_Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcEMghqgjcg

Northwestern Stables, Inc.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,778,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equestrian13 View Post
I've been told that Southern California is the most urban horse-keeping in the United States.

For example in Burbank, there is a major equestrian center with shows every weekend, public riding rings and miles of trails, tack shops, feed stores, etc along busy commuter roads with sidewalks, stoplights, major entertainment companies (jobs), and minutes from urban Los Angeles. People keep horses as normalized pets/companions in small residential backyards and are often seen riding down the street (there are even tunnels under the highways designed for horses). Practically every other house has a small one or two stall barn in the backyard, yet the houses all look different/organic and are in no way part of a planned community development.

Are there other cities with this urban/small-acreage horse-keeping lifestyle so close to the city centre? Specifically, anything in: New York, DC, Philly, Boston, Denver, Austin, or Orlando near their equestrian centers?

What about smaller cities or just horse-keeping in residential-zoned areas in general (near job centers and conveniences like grocery stores, as opposed to rural on acreage)?

If not, how on earth did this come to exist in a place like Los Angeles?
Yes. Its one of the charms of greater LA. Its a major city, with all the big city trappings, yet there are bits and pieces of a "Western" lifestyle. (IE: the urban horse keeping).

I've done trails rides in Griffith Park from equestrian center in Burbank.

I think it came about, because parts of LA were a little on the rural side (such as parts of the SF Valley) even into the 60s and 70s, and then areas just stayed zoned that way. Whatever the reason, I do like it.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
Certainly SoCal, but my friend up in Sacramento keeps a horse there, right in the city.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 AM

1,427 posts, read 2,568,079 times
Albuquerque -- particularly in the contiguous villages of Corrales (west side of the river) and Los Ranchos de Albuquerque (east side of the river, contiguous with ABQ. Also in patches of the North Valley (areas nearer the river, north and south of Los Ranchos) and North Albuquerque Acres, in the northeast corner of the metro.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:10 PM

217 posts, read 235,044 times
The largest horse ranch in the country is outside Orlando, FL

Wellington, FL is also one of the top horse breeding cities around period. Millions of people in South FL in a fairly dense area, but Palm Beach county can get country real fast west of 95.

Most people overlook FL when it comes to horses cause the state has so much other stuff it's better known for.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 AM

706 posts, read 512,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Albuquerque -- particularly in the contiguous villages of Corrales (west side of the river) and Los Ranchos de Albuquerque (east side of the river, contiguous with ABQ. Also in patches of the North Valley (areas nearer the river, north and south of Los Ranchos) and North Albuquerque Acres, in the northeast corner of the metro.
I see them on the west side/South Valley area as well. I used to find the tracks they would leave even in the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or