U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM

4,264 posts, read 5,481,941 times

Advertisements

Chicago or NYC for Thanksgiving through Christmas.

Boston for the 4th of July.

Memorial Day/Labor Day: just about any quiet, rural place to relax and vacation.

St. Patrick's Day: several come to mind, including Boston and Chicago.

Patriot's Day: Boston

Halloween/mid Autumn: several places in the Midwest and the Northeast are great because the tree colors peak around this time and the air really starts to cool down and become dry and crisp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:29 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
New Year's for NYC is obvious. I've done it. And I've always heard that DC is great for 4th of July.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,158,366 times
Thanks to all who have contributed cities and events so far. I'very gotten some new ideas from your posts. I'll admit I didn't realize the size of Chicago's Thanksgiving Parade. I've run some searches and was slightly surprised to see Detroit, Dallas and a few other U.S. Cities in the top 10.

Thanksgiving often is enjoyed with family and friends we're thankful to have in our lives. From my perspective, Thanksgiving is a family holiday. Family can include blood relatives and others you decide to include in your life be they friends, co-workers, bosses etc. The searches I'm adding are all family friendly.

Sometimes, due to work or other factors Thanksgiving can be a day adults may be alone. Destinations for adults were easier to find than those which allowed children too. The 2015 information is limited. There was far more in 2010- 2011. IDK why not as much is listed in 2015. But that is why your posts are even more important. If you are aware of Medium or Small cities known to go beyond other cities with similar populations, please add them too.

I'm curious if anyone feels Thanksgiving destinations perhaps have changed due to shopping on Black Friday. I was surprised how often shopping was part of what was included in vacations for Thanksgiving.

10 US Cities to Celebrate Thanksgiving | Travel & Places .

Stress Free Thanksgiving Trips : Holidays : Travel Channel

I'm interested in your responses and additional cities for various holidays.

MSR

Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 PM

44,825 posts, read 36,186,607 times
I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday if you gave me $500 to do so. Anywhere. In any state.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:19 PM

985 posts, read 1,087,337 times
Thanksgiving- Christmas- NYC
Halloween- New Orleans
St. Patrick's Day- Chicago

Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 PM

25,029 posts, read 23,924,861 times
No, Thanksgiving doesn't change because some choose to shop. There may be more traffic than usual, but that's about it.

I've traveled to see relatives and have never looked for a destination that weekend.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:23 PM

650 posts, read 604,194 times
Hmmm.

4th of July : Miami. Had fun times in Miami

Christmas: this a toss up but probably Chicago or NYC

Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday if you gave me $500 to do so. Anywhere. In any state.
I agree. I saw a news report that said the *Black Fridays* we've know may indeed be in the past.

MSR

Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Thanksgiving- Christmas- NYC
Halloween- New Orleans
St. Patrick's Day- Chicago
What makes Chicago unique or fun for St. Patrick's Day, marcopolo?

MSR

Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Especially for those who like Christmas music and displays of Christmas lights, Salt Lake City is one of the best places to be between Thanksgiving and New Years. The light displays on Temple Square and the Galvin Center are so big national artists like, Mannheim Steamroller and TSO-West tend to tour with a lay over day in SLC when the lights are first turned on. The mostly NYC -based TSO musicians especially enjoy the lights.

One event that is planned far in advance is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra performing Christmas music often with guest artists from abroad or from Broadway. I know they film these and sell DVDs in some bookstores etc. as someone gave me one. It appears this year there are two concerts. The concert is free and those to get tickets start in Oct. I've included the link as it explains how few can attend compared to how many thousands would like to go. Also, apparently, the DVD from the previous year is given to PBS ( I think- some channel) so more people can experience the music and soloists.

Christmas with Mormon Tabernacle Choir

There is a community sing along of the Messiah, dozens of private prrformances. Also, being home to Kurt Bestor, David Archeletta and Jim Brinkman and others, they each usually perform two or three of their own Christmas shows. Of course the Ballet does the Nutcracker and there are all the other traditional and popular events too.

Sporting events, skiing and other activities all occur. Special activities from Breakfast with Santa to private movie screenings at Sundance occur. It's a fun place to spend Christmas either in the city or a cabin or lodge around Park City.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or