U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,150,745 times

Advertisements

I've attended many wonderful events in many U.S. Cities to celebrate various holidays. Many cities from small cities to the largest metros seem to focus on two or three holidays throughout the year where there are more events, public celebrations and other activities that make that city a *must visit* to add to your list.

This thread is not to compare cities or making negative comments about what others like or have experienced so far in their lives. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Given those guidelines, please post your favorite cities to visit and for which holiday (s). Please add something that is unique about the celebrations and any tips you have for others who may want to visit. Costs might be something to add if most events are private.

Let's have fun with this year round. Happy holidays to all as Thanksgiving approaches soon

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
I had memorable 4th of July in Philadelphia. I avoided the tourist stuff downtown and toured all the gardens throughout the city.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
I always love Chicago during the holidays (Thanksgiving thru New Years). Christmas lights, Daley Plaza, ice skating at Millennium Park, the Christkindlmarkt, the Holiday L train car, Michigan Ave. decorated for the holidays, the elaborate window displays, just the overall general vibe. Chicago isn't normally a very fun place in the winter but Christmas/New Years is definitely an exception. There's a very festive vibe there around the holidays.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
On a boat in Seattle for 4th of July

Salem, MA for Halloween

Home for Thanksgiving (Massachusetts)

Santa Fe is my favorite Christmas city.

New Years, preferably somewhere warm. Key West would probably be fun.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,150,745 times
Some interesting ideas of places to visit in the future. Please feel free to post again if you remember more.

Probably Boston or NYC are fun on St. Patrick's Day. I've never been to those cities on 03/17. Maybe someone else will know.

One of my favorite experiences was attending a Dec. meeting in New Orleans pre-Katrina. I was invited to a private function that had a Christmas theme in the Botanical Garden, in New Orleans. The Botanical Garden is in City Garden. This is a current link to a recent event held there. Magic in the Moonlight | New Orleans City Park

I recall how magical it was to see the special decorations throughout the garden. The glass enclosed building had even more unique decorations.

It was a special night I've never forgotten. I'm positive special dinners are costly, I was a guest and don't know the amount. The link shows weddings in the Botanical Garden. That would probably be close to holiday costs for private events.

I'm not certain if anyone can stroll through City Park and see the special scenes and decorations of the Botanical Garden. Perhaps someone here knows more about that than I do.

MSR

Old 11-24-2015, 10:48 PM

24,973 posts, read 23,882,175 times
New York City during the Christmas season. Unique? I think the Rockettes are pretty unique. I took my mother to see the holiday show one year. We looked at the big tree and watched the ice skaters, stood outside for a while during the major snowstorm and had a very nice dinner after.

You can find big trees, ice skaters, lights and good food in many cities, but you aren't going to see the Rockettes at Radio City.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,217,342 times
NYC or Chicago at Christmas.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:11 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Washington DC on the Fourth of July is a must-do in my opinion. DC doesn't feel like any other American city anyway and it's impossible to replicate the experience of watching the fireworks on the National Mall with the Washington Monument, US Capitol and Lincoln Memorial lit/backlit with fireworks and the National Symphony's rendition of the 1812 Overture being played. Goosebumps...

Beyond that all of the other museums and attractions seem livelier than usual, perhaps due to the increased sense of patriotism and sense of history more brought to life. Many go on school trips as children and haven't been back, but urge going back as an adult because it offers a completely different perspective. It's really a great city to visit and experience any time of year though.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
I agree that Washington DC is great for the Fourth of July! Though I also spent a July 4 in Colorado Springs once - home of the AF Academy - and that was cool.

I love the Historic Triangle of Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown for Thanksgiving.

Asheville, NC is the perfect place to go for Memorial Day weekend. Another sweet spot would be Annapolis, MD and the Chesapeake Bay area, maybe throw in some Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

I like the Outer Banks for Labor Day weekend.

The Mall of America in Minneapolis is fabulous during the Christmas season, but so is Fort Worth's Christmas Market (and not nearly as cold!). I've never been to NYC or Chicago but I'd think they'd both be fabulous during the Christmas season.

It's great to visit New Orleans around Easter time - not too hot and it's a quieter holiday in that city that has an oddly sacred side to it's madness.

Of course, you can't beat Cinco de Mayo in San Antonio!

Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
Philly for 4th of July. Other places' fireworks displays may be as good or better, but the setting - Philly's historic district (Old City) - can't be beat.

Also pretty terrific for the 4th: Mt Rushmore.

If you want a different take on Christmas: San Juan. Very festive, but not in that "we have our hands on your credit card" way that's pervasive in so much of the rest of the US. Fun storefront displays (costumed people dancing to salsa-influenced Xmas music), nice lighting, and just an overall happy vibe. My wife and I were there a couple of years ago and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or