Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state would you rather live in?
MI - Michigan 98 47.12%
IL - Illinois 110 52.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
OK fair enough. BTW, I lived in Chicagoland/Illinois most of my life before I moved out west so I know what its like.
So are you saying it's not just the city residents (many of whom purposefully choose to live there because they like big city life, at least the younger white-collar types) but the entire metro?

I'm curious how other big "urban" non-western metros compare? Downstate NY often assumes upstate NY is just empty with nothing there, but plenty are aware it's a pretty escape. Boston likes northern New England, I was hiking on the side of Mt. Washington with a friend from the Boston suburbs and we encountered a few people he went to high school with on the trail. And the Appalachian Mountain Club [which is really just for New England mountains] is based in the center of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,034,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So are you saying it's not just the city residents (many of whom purposefully choose to live there because they like big city life, at least the younger white-collar types) but the entire metro?

I'm curious how other big "urban" non-western metros compare? Downstate NY often assumes upstate NY is just empty with nothing there, but plenty are aware it's a pretty escape. Boston likes northern New England, I was hiking on the side of Mt. Washington with a friend from the Boston suburbs and we encountered a few people he went to high school with on the trail. And the Appalachian Mountain Club [which is really just for New England mountains] is based in the center of Boston.
Oh don't get me wrong, actually I would say Chicagolanders love Wisconsin just as much as Boston area people love northern New England.

My ultimate point of my back and forth with drover, is that in the east, yes plenty of people enjoy the outdoors across the region, but it skews heavily to white families, or traditional youth organizations like Boy Scouts, etc. A lot of families have cabins in Wisconsin.

And your first part brings up the very point, Chicago, as I imagine would be the case in Boston, reference to the younger white collar types that live there because they like the big city life. And that crowd would be ones ONLY option for a social scene.

Its just different here on the California, where there are a gazillion meetups I mean there are Sierra Clubs social outdoor groups that are specifically titled to be for singles in their 20s and 30s. I don't think you would have that at all in the east.

Thats the point that I'm making.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

My ultimate point of my back and forth with drover, is that in the east, yes plenty of people enjoy the outdoors across the region, but it skews heavily to white families, or traditional youth organizations like Boy Scouts, etc. A lot of families have cabins in Wisconsin.
I think that's true everywhere, that urban minorities tend to be less interested and just get out less into the outdoors. A white New Yorker would be more likely to make trips upstate than a minority New Yorker. I went on a pre-college backpacking trip. One of the guys (black hispanic from Upper Manhattan) had never really been hiking before, let alone camping.

Quote:
And your first part brings up the very point, Chicago, as I imagine would be the case in Boston, reference to the younger white collar types that live there because they like the big city life. And that crowd would be ones ONLY option for a social scene.
I think Boston is more interested in the outdoors, probably more than most big northern cities. I had some friends that moved there that made frequent trips for hiking in northern New England.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,034,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think that's true everywhere, that urban minorities tend to be less interested and just get out less into the outdoors. A white New Yorker would be more likely to make trips upstate than a minority New Yorker. I went on a pre-college backpacking trip. One of the guys (black hispanic from Upper Manhattan) had never really been hiking before, let alone camping.

I think Boston is more interested in the outdoors, probably more than most big northern cities. I had some friends that moved there that made frequent trips for hiking in northern New England.
Maybe but it really seems like there's a lot more diversity in outdoor groups here in California.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,123,950 times

On the Shores of the Great Lakes - YouTube

Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You should see how many Michiganders have up and moved to Chicago.

I am not one.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's called "seeing other places." If we all just sat around and never left Chicago, you'd probably accuse us of being insular and parochial.

I was referring to Chicago people who buy homes in southwest Michigan. You should see how many Chicagolanders dock their boats in the summer in southwest Michigan harbors. I would say that is more that just "seeing other places".

Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,556,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I was referring to Chicago people who buy homes in southwest Michigan. You should see how many Chicagolanders dock their boats in the summer in southwest Michigan harbors. I would say that is more that just "seeing other places".
Yes, it's called a vacation home. Many people with money all over the world do this.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And you should see the number of U of M and Michigan State alumni that moved to and live in Chicago. It is what it is.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
And you should see the number of U of M and Michigan State alumni that moved to and live in Chicago. It is what it is.

Yes, you are correct. I work with a IIT grad in the Detroit area. One of my former coworkers graduated from Champaign-Urbana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.