U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Urban or Rural?
City / Urban 70 64.22%
Country / Rural 39 35.78%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 AM

4,388 posts, read 11,414,603 times
definently an urban area! i love the culture of big cities and the events that go on and the food you can get and everything about it amazes me. However i think this poll may be slightly biased because this is 'city-data.com'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,955,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
Same for me. I prefer the city, or at least close enough (10-ish miles) to a major city. Heck, for me a city/town with 25k is the country.
Really. I can't imagine living outside a major metro area (500k+). No real job opportunities for me or my husband. Isolation. Schools don't offer the programs I want for my daughter. Insular townsfolk. Nah. I am sure for some people, it is great, but just not for me.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 AM

19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
The largest city Ive lived in had only 150K people, and I enjoyed it. Ive lived both near large cities (currently in a metro with 9 million people) and have lived in the country (between Dixon, IL and Oregon, IL) and I prefer the urban/suburban lifestyle MUCH more.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:04 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,344,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I am a person of extremes. I live in the city but I also love the country. Either would be fine but no middle for me--I never want to live in the suburbs boxed in by strip malls.
My position also! Cities and rural areas both have their strengths and charms as well as their problems. Suburbs offer the problems of the city combined with the problems of the country!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 PM

276 posts, read 701,784 times
I'm from a big city and have lived in other big cities. I hate traffic mostly. High crime, yes. I like little city with big city qualities.

I lived in Gulfport, MS and loved it. Population about 71k. If I needed something that I couldn't get, I'd drive to New Orleans, which I never had to do unless I wanted a hand grenade from the french quarter lol.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 AM

1,042 posts, read 868,298 times
I can't imagine living in a rural area, DRIVING through rural areas of central CA was enough to bore me. Needless to say, I prefer the lifestyle large cities have to offer..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,018,864 times
We have lived in Charlotte, N. C., Denver, CO and Fayetteville, N. C. etc. but I never liked living so close to other people. I can go out in my yard and work for hours and never get close enough to speak to another person. I see traffic go by and see the neighbors in their yards, but thank goodness I am far enough away to have my privacy. I really hated to go outside my home in Charlotte and the neighbor was so close as to comment on what I was doing. Sometimes it is nice to just work in the dirt, privately.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM

1,924 posts, read 3,136,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We have lived in Charlotte, N. C., Denver, CO and Fayetteville, N. C. etc. but I never liked living so close to other people. I can go out in my yard and work for hours and never get close enough to speak to another person. I see traffic go by and see the neighbors in their yards, but thank goodness I am far enough away to have my privacy. I really hated to go outside my home in Charlotte and the neighbor was so close as to comment on what I was doing. Sometimes it is nice to just work in the dirt, privately.
Yes, I too value my privacy. I don't want to be close to neighbors - it just seems to bring more problems. I mind my own business and would like the same in return. I don't personally care what my neighbors do and I wish they wouldn't take an interest in what I do.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM

265 posts, read 664,375 times
I hauled my ass out of the suburbs at 18 and I'm not going back. The city is where I was meant to be.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM

5,231 posts, read 9,344,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
I hauled my ass out of the suburbs at 18 and I'm not going back. The city is where I was meant to be.
My parents hauled my ass INTO the suburbs (From the city) at age 13, and I realized immediately that as soon as I was self-supporting I would always live in the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.