U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 03:36 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's mostly true but it doesn't explain Grand Rapids which has better growth rates than quite a few metros on that list.
I've never been to Grand Rapids, but perhaps that growth is coming from other parts of Michigan.

Grand Rapids has an unemployment rate of 4.4% compared to:
5.5% in Battle Creek
5.8% in Lansing
9.0% in Saginaw
9.7% in Flint
10.2% in Detroit

Pittsburgh is also revitalizing quite well, and I think many would find it to be a very desirable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 04:02 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Same deal with Memphis, OKC, and Louisville. The Southern cities that are really booming, in addition to the big four, are the ones in the 2 million MSA range. The cities in the 1 million range haven't quite seen the same kind of influx. I am sure a lot of it is economics. There have been a lot of corporate relocations to large and major Southern cities but not so much to the mid sized cities.
I would not throw Louisville or even OKC in this mix. they are not seeing a Houston, ATL, o Nashville boom, but they are having a mini boom all their own. Check the development in Louisville and you will see

Old 11-26-2015, 04:31 PM

3,958 posts, read 3,489,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've never been to Grand Rapids, but perhaps that growth is coming from other parts of Michigan.

Grand Rapids has an unemployment rate of 4.4% compared to:
5.5% in Battle Creek
5.8% in Lansing
9.0% in Saginaw
9.7% in Flint
10.2% in Detroit

Pittsburgh is also revitalizing quite well, and I think many would find it to be a very desirable place to live.
Well of course some of the growth in Grand Rapids has to be from inside the state, I don't think that tells the whole story. Michigan is an odd case, the state has only estimated to have gained about 25k people where Grand Rapids metro has gained about 40k. There are other state metros showing gains as well. The rural parts of the state must shrinking into the metro areas, but that's the case everywhere.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:36 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,462,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well of course some of the growth in Grand Rapids has to be from inside the state, I don't think that tells the whole story. Michigan is an odd case, the state has only estimated to have gained about 25k people where Grand Rapids metro has gained about 40k. There are other state metros showing gains as well. The rural parts of the state must shrinking into the metro areas, but that's the case everywhere.
Breakdown:

Detroit metro: +361
Grand Rapids metro: +38,765
Lansing metro: +6,422
Flint metro: -12,895
Ann Arbor metro: +12,083
Kalamazoo metro: +7,428
Saginaw metro: -5,157
Muskegon metro: +156
Jackson metro: -507
Niles/Benton Harbor metro: -1,580
Monroe metro: -2,197
Battle Creek metro: -1,268
Bay City metro: -1,592
Midland metro: -202

Combining these, we only have a net gain of about 40 K. Plus, outside of the Traverse City area, you are right that most other areas in Michigan are losing population as well. The growth in the state is pretty much limited to Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Traverse City (and to a lesser extent, Kalamazoo and Lansing.)

Old 11-26-2015, 11:48 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,781,623 times
Thanks for sharing. I think this list very much reflects my perspective on what cities feel "cosmopolitan." I generally prefer many of the places in the top 15-20 of highest transplants %.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:18 AM

56,554 posts, read 80,847,919 times
I don't think that it is a matter of being cosmopolitan based upon this ranking, as quite a few areas high on the list have a relatively high educational attainment and a substantial degree of cultural diversity. Rochester and Minneapolis are a couple of areas that come to mind.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:09 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
I'd also be interested in talking more about cities were people are moving to vs. moving out of. I'm from Tucson, which is at the bottom of the list. And while lots of transplants are moving to Tucson, a lot of locals are moving out. All of my friends from high school have left town (most to the Bay Area, Seattle, and Austin). Whereas, I sense most of the Denver natives stay. I wonder what other cities are like Tucson in this regard?
I agree. Many of the high transplant cities have high exodus numbers with slightly higher net numbers. I live in the Orlando area which is similar to Tucson in that respect and have seen data that suggests Georgia, followed by North Carolina and South Carolina are 1, 2 and 3 respectively for Floridians leaving the state. In terms of city breakdown would guess Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Asheville/Western NC and Greenville as most likely targets.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 AM

8,965 posts, read 4,103,404 times
Quote:
Do you have any predictions on what Southern cities will be next to boom?

Any predictions on Southern cities that will likely never boom?
It really all depends on job growth.

Louisville and Jacksonville both offer a lot for their size so I am surprised they aren't booming more than they are. I am sure these cities could be magnets due to their desirability if they had the kind of job growth Texas cities are currently enjoying.

OKC, Birmingham, and Memphis each have their own set of problems that are holding them back. If the dice fall the right way though, they could see booms. Its less likely however than Louisville and Jacksonville.

I think the Southern cities least likely to boom are the very small metros in the Deep South. I am thinking of places like Shreveport, Little Rock, Jackson, Mobile, Augusta, Columbia SC, etc. They don't have the job growth nor the desirability to really boom. That's not to say they are in decline, but I don't ever see them exploding in growth.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:50 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
That list is a total JOKE.

Hartford is more of a transplant metro than Columbus?! Give me a break.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:07 PM

23,571 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Most of the top are Rust Belt metros. Many of those places are turning around. I think this list will look pretty different in a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or