U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,546,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That list is a total JOKE.

Hartford is more of a transplant metro than Columbus?! Give me a break.
Possibly because moving from Longmeadow (22 mile from Hartford) 1/2 a mile down the road to Enfield CT is migrating from Springfield to Hartford metros, same with Meridian (22 miles from Hartford) to Berlin, CT is migrating from New Haven to Hartford metros.
While on the other hand Columbus is rather isolated (as in central cities of nearby metros are not ~25 miles away from Downtown Columbus)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,526,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most of the top are Rust Belt metros. Many of those places are turning around. I think this list will look pretty different in a decade.
For the rust belt metros its always wail 'til next decade.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:19 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,140,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'd also be interested in talking more about cities were people are moving to vs. moving out of. I'm from Tucson, which is at the bottom of the list. And while lots of transplants are moving to Tucson, a lot of locals are moving out. All of my friends from high school have left town (most to the Bay Area, Seattle, and Austin). Whereas, I sense most of the Denver natives stay. I wonder what other cities are like Tucson in this regard?
I also wondered about metros on or close to state borders and how that factors in.

As far as Denver, speaking from experience (30 years ago), most of my high school friends and relatives left the area after graduation. Some went to colleges out of state and didn't return. Others went to the west coast, especially SoCal. A few eventually returned.

I think when you're young, you tend to feel the grass is greener somewhere else, regardless of where that may be. But you have to have the means to do something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or