U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 PM

150 posts, read 154,100 times

Advertisements

I love Knoxville, TN. But to each his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:04 PM

24,094 posts, read 17,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Louisville is going to be a bit better than Knoxville but if you're looking for a more progressive place to live, it's not going to register that much higher than where you are now. If you're looking for a more educated city neither Houston or Birmingham scores very well there either. I'd recommend areas like Durham NC, Raleigh NC, Atlanta GA (northern suburbs) or Charlotte NC where nearly half on average have a Bachelor's degree or better, versus areas you're focused on now where it's more like one in four.
Louisville has A LOT bigger "local culture" scene, art movement, bohemian neighborhoods, bigger city, etc. I think it is a far better city than Knoxville.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 PM

6,641 posts, read 13,844,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Louisville has A LOT bigger "local culture" scene, art movement, bohemian neighborhoods, bigger city, etc. I think it is a far better city than Knoxville.

Absolutely...and Louisville is well educated in the areas where you'd want to live...50% with bachelors. What brings Louisville down is its very poor areas are very poor and uneducated...there are zips in west Louisville with less than 10% of people with a bachelors...but these areas do not affect you as youd never go there.

Louisville is a MUCH bigger, more vibrant, and active city than Knoxville. To give you an idea, bars are open until 4, you can get coffee at midnight, sushi at 1 am, and upscale food at 3 am.

Anyone who says Charlotte or Raleigh has more to do has never been to each of Louisville's bohemiam neighborhoods (there are LOTS) and walked then, morning, day, and night, or biked and taken buses through them.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM

4,014 posts, read 3,670,090 times
Doesn't like Knoxville, but considering Birmingham?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 23,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Doesn't like Knoxville, but considering Birmingham?
I know - total step backwards

Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 PM

1,000 posts, read 955,246 times
OP, how did you end up in Knoxville if you're from Jersey and went to college in Cali? And why do you own a place in Clearwater?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,307,115 times
The Raleigh/Durham area could work but the pace is also slow. In other words, the area is very suburban. Areas like downtown Raleigh and Chapel Hill are becoming more vibrant, though. It's also a fairly liberal and educated metro.

Atlanta could definitely work for you, that's my suggestion.

Also, if you dislike Knoxville, cross Birmingham off your list.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:11 PM

51 posts, read 53,377 times
Thanks everyone for your input, i would say i will be leaving in about 2 months, nashville i don't even know where to start there, I have thought about houston for 3 years now, but i think i may head north to Virginia or NJ, my homestate, the rents are sky high though, i have a 2 bdrm townhome here for 650.00 it would cost 1200.00 easy up there, I don't really like big giant cities, i grew up in a small italian suburb in Northern NJ, NJ has a small town atmosphere like Birminham i would say, I love people from Texas and Alabama, had many friends from both places.

I am in tears here in KNoxville, i want out, not many are friendly here and they don't appreciate yankees, especially if we are fast paced with brains, seriously, so what can a lady do, heading home in a few. thanks again guys for the input, I still may look at houston, I didnt pick Birmingham because i hear the crime rate is kind of high. oh well. thanks im looking forward to my move.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:45 AM

6,601 posts, read 7,546,596 times
Knoxville is a nice area to live in. There is plenty to do in the Knoxville proper, and even more to do outdoors in the East Tennessee area. There are mountains, the National park, waterfalls, kayaking, hunting, fishing, boating and of course hiking. In the city of Knoxville there are good restaurants, shopping, all the amenities of the college, football games (Go Vols) and all the downtown stuff young people like to do. I get that not everyone will like East Tennessee, especially for those looking for a "progressive area", but I don't want to see East Tennessee painted out to be this dull place with unfriendly people. I am pretty sure East Tennessee is well known for being conservative and religious so I don't understand why people move here and complain about that. Even though there are places in Knoxville were liberal people live and hang out. I have met plenty of happy liberals who live in East Tennessee in spite of the presence of all us conservatives. I honestly believe that East Tennessee is a welcoming place, and I honestly believe its a good place to live. Is this a homer post?? Well I reckon it is but I just wanted to set the record straight.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 AM

6,427 posts, read 10,935,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
I am in tears here in KNoxville, i want out, not many are friendly here and they don't appreciate yankees, especially if we are fast paced with brains, seriously, so what can a lady do, heading home in a few. thanks again guys for the input, I still may look at houston, I didnt pick Birmingham because i hear the crime rate is kind of high. oh well. thanks im looking forward to my move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or