Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 PM

51 posts, read 80,112 times

Advertisements

OK guys i live in Knox and dont like it too much, very boring, I am looking for a more progressive place to live, I grew up in Jersey, educated in Calif, I was considering moving to Louisville, Kentucky, i like a small town feel right outside the city. How is Louisville any better than knox or ??

Knox is way too slowwwwwwww for me. Any idea?? I was thinking of Houston also or birmingham?? I have a place in Clearwater Florida but i rent it out because the work situation is not that great there. Any thoughts on this or a good place to live that is friendly, educated and fun to live in? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,535,277 times
Knoxville has a slow pace but some of us like that.

I just picked up a flier that listed 57 bars & restaurants in the downtown area - it's hardly a snooze fest. 6 theaters/concert halls.

But it's not a big city. And not a big "club scene". What about Atlanta? Or Nashville?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 PM

7,069 posts, read 16,686,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
OK guys i live in Knox and dont like it too much, very boring, I am looking for a more progressive place to live, I grew up in Jersey, educated in Calif, I was considering moving to Louisville, Kentucky, i like a small town feel right outside the city. How is Louisville any better than knox or ??

Knox is way too slowwwwwwww for me. Any idea?? I was thinking of Houston also or birmingham?? I have a place in Clearwater Florida but i rent it out because the work situation is not that great there. Any thoughts on this or a good place to live that is friendly, educated and fun to live in? lol
Louisville would be a great city for you. Substantially bigger, artsier, and more vibrant than Knox. Better fooodie scene too. IMO it is a better move than Nashville bc it is cheaper with less traffic.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,372,847 times
I heard Chattanooga is up and coming. I also wonder if you might like Austin.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,590,742 times
Quote:

Knox is way too slowwwwwwww for me. Any idea?? I was thinking of Houston also or birmingham?? [b] I have a place in Clearwater Florida but i rent it out because the work situation is not that great there.]/b] Any thoughts on this or a good place to live that is friendly, educated and fun to live in? lol
What type of work do you do? Florida is a huge state.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,444,128 times
Nashville rocks, I love it here, Knoxville is a overgrown college town like Lexington KY where I used to live. Atlanta is the best city in the South thou overall but it can be expensive and the traffic is horrible. I love Nashville its my favorite city in the South to live in, its very easy to live in and its close to Atlanta, Charlotte and the Smokies.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 PM

9,452 posts, read 10,753,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Knoxville has a slow pace but some of us like that.

I just picked up a flier that listed 57 bars & restaurants in the downtown area - it's hardly a snooze fest. 6 theaters/concert halls.

But it's not a big city. And not a big "club scene". What about Atlanta? Or Nashville?

I am going to chime in too, I think Knoxville is a great area to live and raise a family. It is NOT dull, but it is for the most part quiet and conservative. That is the way I like it. However there is plenty for young people to do. There is Market square and the Old city, lots of twentysomething stuff to do down there. Also the outdoor activities of this region are almost endless. The Smoky Mountains are down the road and if you still get bored there then I don't know what to say. Hiking, rafting, fishing, hunting all are everywhere.

I don't know much about Louisville so I wont comment on it. It sounds like the OP wants some big city life and maybe a more liberal type city. I get that some folks prefer that, so that being said I think the OP may want to look at cities like Atlanta, or maybe something up north like Boston or Chicago. I have no doubt those places have more of a night life, more young people stuff to do.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 PM

7,712 posts, read 12,580,298 times
Houston would be great for you.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 AM

27,000 posts, read 43,578,504 times
Quote:

Louisville is going to be a bit better than Knoxville but if you're looking for a more progressive place to live, it's not going to register that much higher than where you are now. If you're looking for a more educated city neither Houston or Birmingham scores very well there either. I'd recommend areas like Durham NC, Raleigh NC, Atlanta GA (northern suburbs) or Charlotte NC where nearly half on average have a Bachelor's degree or better, versus areas you're focused on now where it's more like one in four.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,535,277 times
Quote:
i like a small town feel right outside the city.
I think if the OP is looking for progressive suburban small towns he needs to look outside the south. Chapel Hill/Carrboro could be the exception but it is hardly fast paced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.