U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 PM

9,456 posts, read 18,381,877 times

Advertisements

For flyover cities at 35,000 feet I always found looking down at the footprints of Great Lakes cities like Chicago and Toronto along the shoreline is quite the spectacle and breaks up the monotony of the flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 08:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 849,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Another thing worth mentioning is that for some airports, you can get a completely different view depending on which side of the plane you sit on. You might miss out if you're on the wrong side.
This is true when flying into Houston.

If you are on the right side (not literally the right side) then you can see all the skylines lined up and Houston will look pretty big. If you are on the wrong side then you see boring suburban development.

Another city that is cool to fly into is DC when going to Reagan coming from the west. You see the nice homes along the hills, the Potomac with all the national monuments behind it, with that DC Euro-style density around them. It's a nice scene.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 PM

100 posts, read 94,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1mVOKYFbs

South Beach first , then the Port of Miami , then downtown Miami / Brickell Financial district, then Little Havana and the Marlins baseball park.
Here's another view from the west where you see the demarcation line of the Everglades with urban Miami... it continues through the whole east -west span of Miami before looping back to the airport. The sight of such a huge city between the Everglades and the turquoise blue of Biscayne Bay is stunning. Ypu can see port and starboard view.

Last edited by sobchbud1; 11-28-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 04:13 PM

5,622 posts, read 3,737,946 times
If you still enjoy window seats, please chime in here!

For me, no other way to enjoy flight. Unless you need to use the lav a lot. These folks should require aisle seats! And for the poor souls who end up in the middle, sorry, but you either booked too late, have a bunch of kids, or well perhaps you just enjoy being sardines in a can.

I also miss some of the captain/co-captain comments which have become rather passe'. It really is an art, and the best ones will point out some important landmarks, but others won't even mention a word. There should be an in-between, in which most US airlines do a pretty good job at, even if just updating the passengers on whether they are on-time or how far they are from the destination. I'm sure this is all taught in airline flight school, but my impression this part of the curriculum is glossed over.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:14 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,547,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

For me, no other way to enjoy flight. Unless you need to use the lav a lot. These folks should require aisle seats! And for the poor souls who end up in the middle, sorry, but you either booked too late, have a bunch of kids, or well perhaps you just enjoy being sardines in a can.
I used to take the window seats. But on long international flights? Hell no.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 PM

9,456 posts, read 18,381,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

For me, no other way to enjoy flight. Unless you need to use the lav a lot. These folks should require aisle seats! And for the poor souls who end up in the middle, sorry, but you either booked too late, have a bunch of kids, or well perhaps you just enjoy being sardines in a can..
"I'll take first class!" -Jerry Seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhT6qguqe9k

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-29-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 849,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I used to take the window seats. But on long international flights? Hell no.
That's especially when you take that window seat because the flight is so damn long.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:09 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,365,455 times
Flying into the old Kai Tak in Hong Kong in 1995.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:09 PM

5,627 posts, read 3,963,559 times
Flying into O'Hare is awesome, especially at night. You have the inky blackness of the vast Lake Michigan, plus the incredibly beautiful skyline at night, all lit up, and a seemingly endless view of suburban lights.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:26 PM

5,622 posts, read 3,737,946 times
I flew into O'Hare one summer afternoon and we circled around Janesville, WI, over and over, apparently a good place to air-park planes waiting to land. (sometimes they even turn down the AC to save on fuel, but only in extreme conditions.)

Yes, at this point the window seats gets old, but I still prefer it considering 90% flights are on time-time.

There is so much frustration out there, but so much it is out of the control of the pilots and aviation operators, who incidently, don't work in the towers, instead, use basements and computers for the most part.

Flying can still be fun if your bring the right attitiude to it. Always prepare for delays, in fact, expect them. Have snacks handy. Fly out in the morning and avoid the late afternoon rush, (Especiallly during the summer with Thunderstorms).

Understand the flight attendants are not your personal servants they are there mostly for safety backup.

Bring patience, or a patience-inducing pill, and you will be fine. And when things go right, which they often do, DO NOT tip your flight hosts, male or female, as this is their job. Likewise, don't curse them out as they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. If you still have major issues to complain about, send a letter to the airline. They actually read this stuff.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-30-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or