U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,417,237 times

Advertisements

LAX, O'Hare and LaGuardia offer great approaches.

LaGuardia is my favorite...the views of Manhattan are excellent.

Aside from the aforementioned, both D/FW and Love Field have fantastic views of Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnw65ndQsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO6kP0U9l1A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 03:34 PM

1,078 posts, read 964,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
LAX, O'Hare and LaGuardia offer great approaches.

LaGuardia is my favorite...the views of Manhattan are excellent.

Aside from the aforementioned, both D/FW and Love Field have fantastic views of Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnw65ndQsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO6kP0U9l1A
Looks like flying over cow pastures rather than a major metropolis.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 10,903,401 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kx7SxTTLDg

You definitely want to sit on the left side of the plane when landing in San Diego

Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 AM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,417,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Looks like flying over cow pastures rather than a major metropolis.
Open your eyes up, Calisonn.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 AM

2,482 posts, read 2,232,846 times
O'Hare has been mentioned, but Midway can also offer impressive fly ins and outs, depending on your direction. Here's a plane leaving Midway. It starts passing downtown around 3:24

Old 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM

1,593 posts, read 837,398 times
I've only been once but Seattle through the Cascades is amazing

Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
If you still enjoy window seats, please chime in here!

For me, no other way to enjoy flight. Unless you need to use the lav a lot. These folks should require aisle seats! And for the poor souls who end up in the middle, sorry, but you either booked too late, have a bunch of kids, or well perhaps you just enjoy being sardines in a can.

I also miss some of the captain/co-captain comments which have become rather passe'. It really is an art, and the best ones will point out some important landmarks, but others won't even mention a word. There should be an in-between, in which most US airlines do a pretty good job at, even if just updating the passengers on whether they are on-time or how far they are from the destination. I'm sure this is all taught in airline flight school, but my impression this part of the curriculum is glossed over.
Unfortunately, I missed my flight from DFW to DC on Monday and was on stand-by. Got a middle seat and missed the fly in at night for DC. I always get window seats. Do not want any other type of seat.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,144,912 times
Vegas at night

Chicago (Spectacular in the day and night approaching from the lake. Also at night, the rows of street lights seem to go forever)

Salt Lake City (Especially north ops)

Seattle (North and south)

NYC/LGA (rwy 4 approach, seeing laundry hanging on the brownstones!)

Unbeatable: Hong Kong/Kai Tak

Old 12-02-2015, 02:33 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,782,287 times
I have fond memories of flying into San Francisco. Nice approach.
Also Honolulu. Always exciting to see land after hours of water.
Flying into Amsterdam from overseas is a treat. Beach, farmland then Schiphol.

My favourite is coming home to Vancouver. Two approaches that are different. Coming from the rest of country eastwards the approach is nice, but not as spectacular as approaching from the north, ( from Europe for example ) over the North Shore mountains.
This video is from the north. Kind of long, but the interesting part starts at around 14:20 and around 16:00 you go from total wilderness to farmland. They swing around and head west to land.

You see clusters of towers, but those are in suburbs. You don't actually see downtown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB69inK5Zn8

Old 12-03-2015, 01:32 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,470,057 times
Since a take-off from Chicago's Midway going past Downtown and over Lake Michigan was posted.... I thought I would one I found to post of a Landing at Chicago's O'Hare up Lake Michigan's Shoreline of the city from Near Downtown to turning inland and a QUICK GLIMPSE OF WRIGLEY FIELD as it flies over it and photographer tilts the camera for a second.... don't blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWxHPOlERI

You can click on the FULL SCREEN VIEW since it is kind of distant to see in this small screen version by the sight below the square above.

Photo of a landing at O'Hare along with other planes flying over Downtown too.

Last edited by steeps; 12-03-2015 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or