U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should PR become a state?
Yes 64 44.44%
No 61 42.36%
Maybe 19 13.19%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,370 times

Advertisements

I'm the first to vote "Maybe"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 06:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,370 times
If Puerto Rico does become a state, I wonder if the US will start aiming for 60 states.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:22 PM

48 posts, read 27,806 times
Yes, if they want to join, they should be able to. If we can conquer them, they can send congressmen and senators to Washington DC and vote for President.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 PM

7,682 posts, read 8,484,316 times
100% "Gringo" here. Family owns a vacation home/second home in Puerto Rico.

I am a huge statehood supporter. Statehood has always led to economic improvement and I don't see why this wouldent be the case in Puerto Rico, once this occurs the average income would rise and Federal income tax payments would occur just like anywhere else in the US. Puerto Ricans are already Americans, Puerto Rico is already under US sovereignty and fundamentally I don't think we should have different levels of citizenship based on where one happens to live. It's a civil rights issue.

Some people make a stink about language and culture but honestly Puerto Rico is not much different than say Miami, or New Mexico, or the Texas border country. Right now there are people all over Puerto Rico celebrating Thanksgiving with turkey and mofongo and getting ready for Black Friday sales just like the rest of us.

Independence won't work, it's just not viable. Very, very few Puerto Ricans support independence (less than 5%) and honestly if Puerto Rico did become independent the Chinese or the Russians would just swoop right in. Furthermore most of the people who do support independence are basically communists and are essentially pawns of the Castro brothers, Maduro, etc. Any potential cost savings would be offset by a geopolitical disaster and a humanitarian crisis as millions of people flee the island.

In regards to the debt/fiscal crisis, as a state Puerto Rico would have access to Chapter 9 bankruptcy protections which would enable them to restructure a significant amount of their debt in federal court much like Detroit did several years ago.

Simply put, statehood is the only real option going forward.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
I agree that this is probably strictly politics in the sense that the Republicans don't want more Democratic strongholds in Congress. Another thing, and this I'm guessing on, is that PR is poor compared to other states so I'm assuming that Puerto Rico doesn't have a high amount of GDP potential? It is a medium-sized but highly populated island.

I personally am not against PR becoming a state honestly I don't see why not.

But the Puerto Ricans themselves are divided on the issue and I wonder why many of them would prefer staying a territory instead of becoming a state. I would love to hear the benefits of being a territory that would disappear becoming an official state. If being a territory truly provided no benefits whatsoever then I think a larger number from that referendum would've voted for independence.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:46 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,747 times
Disclaimer I'm part Afro Latino descent but that's pretty absurd that you are asking for a whole country to learn spanish just because hypothetically, one state is spanish speaking. Here's a crazy thought, if they are going to become part of a country and vote to become part of a country where the majority of business/daily tasks all in English, they should learn English, just like their relatives did that moved here in the past did. Also I'm not sure why you think no one in PR can speak English lol.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,465,447 times
I say maybe. I would like to see a straight, binding referendum -- statehood or independence? As long as Puerto Rico is in commonwealth status, they are stuck in a welfare dependency trap. To me it is unfair that Puerto Rico is not on the UN non-self governing territories list.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:53 PM

270 posts, read 137,199 times
We already pay for it, so why not just make it a state. The biggest problem I see with making it a state is that it would mess with the electoral college pretty bad. I don't vote, but Republicans would lose their minds.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 PM

512 posts, read 376,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Disclaimer I'm part Afro Latino descent but that's pretty absurd that you are asking for a whole country to learn spanish just because hypothetically, one state is spanish speaking. Here's a crazy thought, if they are going to become part of a country and vote to become part of a country where the majority of business/daily tasks all in English, they should learn English, just like their relatives did that moved here in the past did. Also I'm not sure why you think no one in PR can speak English lol.
Get your facts straight buddy.

I said that it would be good for Americans to learn Spanish because it would put us in touch with the entire Western Hemisphere. Something that is sensible seeing as our neighbors who share a long border to the south already speak Spanish along with 100s of millions of others.

Secondly I already know that many PR speak English. I never said anything against people learning English if need be. I already mentioned about how New Mexico has Spanish & English as official languages and it is not a problem. The same goes with PR

I said that America can stand to learn another language and that it would help facilitate relations with our potential new state as well as many others. Regardless of whether they join or not, it makes sense to learn another language seeing as Americans only have one and it isn't too hard to be bilingual.

So stop being ridiculous.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:57 AM

12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
No, they aren't American, they are a second world foreign country that is our territory due to conquest. Independence or remain a territory.

Agreed, but I think independence is the best way forward for them. I have been there. It felt far more like Spain than the USA. It is not American. Never has been and never will be. The founding of that territory, and the feel of the whole place is Spain. It should either go back to Spain or be independent. But it is no way, shape, or form any bit American. Let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.