U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should PR become a state?
Yes 64 44.44%
No 61 42.36%
Maybe 19 13.19%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 AM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
100% "Gringo" here. Family owns a vacation home/second home in Puerto Rico.

I am a huge statehood supporter. Statehood has always led to economic improvement and I don't see why this wouldent be the case in Puerto Rico, once this occurs the average income would rise and Federal income tax payments would occur just like anywhere else in the US. Puerto Ricans are already Americans, Puerto Rico is already under US sovereignty and fundamentally I don't think we should have different levels of citizenship based on where one happens to live. It's a civil rights issue.

Some people make a stink about language and culture but honestly Puerto Rico is not much different than say Miami, or New Mexico, or the Texas border country. Right now there are people all over Puerto Rico celebrating Thanksgiving with turkey and mofongo and getting ready for Black Friday sales just like the rest of us.

Independence won't work, it's just not viable. Very, very few Puerto Ricans support independence (less than 5%) and honestly if Puerto Rico did become independent the Chinese or the Russians would just swoop right in. Furthermore most of the people who do support independence are basically communists and are essentially pawns of the Castro brothers, Maduro, etc. Any potential cost savings would be offset by a geopolitical disaster and a humanitarian crisis as millions of people flee the island.

In regards to the debt/fiscal crisis, as a state Puerto Rico would have access to Chapter 9 bankruptcy protections which would enable them to restructure a significant amount of their debt in federal court much like Detroit did several years ago.

Simply put, statehood is the only real option going forward.
I call BS. The vast majority of Puerto Ricans do not celebrate Thanksgiving. It has zero to do with them. They should be celebrating local traditional holidays, or Spanish holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 AM

1,199 posts, read 435,679 times
No.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
100% "Gringo" here. Family owns a vacation home/second home in Puerto Rico.

I am a huge statehood supporter. Statehood has always led to economic improvement and I don't see why this wouldent be the case in Puerto Rico, once this occurs the average income would rise and Federal income tax payments would occur just like anywhere else in the US. Puerto Ricans are already Americans, Puerto Rico is already under US sovereignty and fundamentally I don't think we should have different levels of citizenship based on where one happens to live. It's a civil rights issue.

Some people make a stink about language and culture but honestly Puerto Rico is not much different than say Miami, or New Mexico, or the Texas border country. Right now there are people all over Puerto Rico celebrating Thanksgiving with turkey and mofongo and getting ready for Black Friday sales just like the rest of us.

Independence won't work, it's just not viable. Very, very few Puerto Ricans support independence (less than 5%) and honestly if Puerto Rico did become independent the Chinese or the Russians would just swoop right in. Furthermore most of the people who do support independence are basically communists and are essentially pawns of the Castro brothers, Maduro, etc. Any potential cost savings would be offset by a geopolitical disaster and a humanitarian crisis as millions of people flee the island.

In regards to the debt/fiscal crisis, as a state Puerto Rico would have access to Chapter 9 bankruptcy protections which would enable them to restructure a significant amount of their debt in federal court much like Detroit did several years ago.

Simply put, statehood is the only real option going forward.
You keep on shilling for PR to be a state. Laughable. You were on here after their vote going on and on about how it was inevitable after the vote. And I told you it would never happen, and it hasn't. Give it up already. They are not American. Never will be. I emphatically do not want a place to be a state where I cannot wander about the countryside and the people not speak my language. I have been there, and the vast majority cannot speak English. After all these years of being a territory, and yet they cannot speak English is enough to tell you that they are not interested in being a full part of the US. And I don't blame them. And that is because it was a war conquest and nothing more. We should do the right thing and let the place go. It has zilch to do with America. Do you think the Puerto Rican people even think about the Founding Fathers and the US constitution? NO. They are Spanish and that is it.

I had not one problem with Spanish in Spain, but the last thing I want is my own country to not have a single unifying language. How would Spain feel with a whole province of their country speaking English?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I agree that this is probably strictly politics in the sense that the Republicans don't want more Democratic strongholds in Congress. Another thing, and this I'm guessing on, is that PR is poor compared to other states so I'm assuming that Puerto Rico doesn't have a high amount of GDP potential? It is a medium-sized but highly populated island.

I personally am not against PR becoming a state honestly I don't see why not.

But the Puerto Ricans themselves are divided on the issue and I wonder why many of them would prefer staying a territory instead of becoming a state. I would love to hear the benefits of being a territory that would disappear becoming an official state. If being a territory truly provided no benefits whatsoever then I think a larger number from that referendum would've voted for independence.

Simple really. Talk to them. They are not American, and do not feel one itota American. That is why the huge pride in Spanish and the PR flag. Even here in Philadelphia it is almost silly the way they show off that flag and the whole "we are not American" thing.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:21 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I had not one problem with Spanish in Spain, but the last thing I want is my own country to not have a single unifying language. How would Spain feel with a whole province of their country speaking English?
The Canadians seem to have no problem with Quebec for the most part. I know there have been some calls for secession but apparently it's not happening.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM

7,682 posts, read 8,484,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I call BS. The vast majority of Puerto Ricans do not celebrate Thanksgiving. It has zero to do with them. They should be celebrating local traditional holidays, or Spanish holidays.
Wrong again: How to Celebrate a Puerto Rican Thanksgiving

I don't understand why you are constantly spouting such incorrect facts and demeaning statements. You literally know nothing about 2015 Puerto Rico.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 11-29-2015 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 11:55 AM

13,356 posts, read 7,016,012 times
No, I am against Puerto Rico becoming a state in the union. They should become independent.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:03 PM

All the "cut them loose" people do realize that either way we will have to pay tons of money right? If Puerto Rico were to become independent than millions of people would flee to the US causing a humanitarian crisis and costing trillions. It seems many people do not grasp this.

We're not going to be saving any money. In fact, the cheapest thing would be statehood since it would improve the island economy, would allow Chapter 9 protections, etc all of which would avoid the need for a total bailout. And furthermore as the economy improves their income will rise making them eligible to pay Federal income taxes.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
No.
Quote:
The only good thing about the PR parade is that it makes the Gay Pride Parade, held a few weeks later in June, look like a highly cultured, tasteful, and vibrantly exciting and safe affair!!
Too bad the city streets look like a garbage dump afterwards.
Let me guess, you support Trump too?

Isent it interesting how all the posters who oppose statehood are bigots that post vile and repulsive statements about non-Whites? They don't care one bit about the financial aspects, they just don't like Brown people.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:33 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,262,562 times
Quote:
All the "cut them loose" people do realize that either way we will have to pay tons of money right? If Puerto Rico were to become independent than millions of people would flee to the US causing a humanitarian crisis and costing trillions. It seems many people do not grasp this.
Let's talk reality. Right now Puerto Rico is already second world country that recently declared bankruptcy.

How is taking on a culturally foreign state that is twice as poor as Mississippi going to be an economic plus for Americans? I have more faith in Mississippi becoming the next Silicon Valley than Puerto Rico will suddenly experience an unprecedented economic miracle that will boost it to contending with America's poorest states. Puerto is poor, always has been. Also, your prediction of millions of people fleeing to the U.S. is ridiculous. They already "flee" to the U.S. in droves because Puerto Rico is poor. More Puerto Ricans live in America than Puerto Rico itself, and the droves of Puerto Ricans already living in the northeast are pretty adamant about just how "not American" they are. Lastly, they have what, 3 million people on the whole island? The entire island would not evacuate in the event that they themselves vote for independence.

Quote:
We're not going to be saving any money. In fact, the cheapest thing would be statehood since it would improve the island economy, would allow Chapter 9 protections, etc all of which would avoid the need for a total bailout. And furthermore as the economy improves their income will rise making them eligible to pay Federal income taxes.
Give me a break, most people would be living on federal welfare like so many there already do. Puerto has nothing much going for it economically whether part of the US or not. Even if we pretended that they are American and founded by Americans moving westwards like all of the other states, they would still be an economic burden. It's fun to play "what if", but it ain't ever gonna happen anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.