U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:33 PM

161 posts, read 167,643 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just looking for some reccomendations on cities I can begin researching for a potential move down the road. Trying to find some middle ground my for my husband and I. One of the biggest areas we disagree on is weather. Please throw out your suggestions based on the below - we know we'll have to compromise a somewhere.

Weather - I hate long stretches of hot he hates long stretches of bitter cold. Not interested in Washington, Oregon or Colorado. I also prefer a place that has some snow annually

City with a lot of jobs/stable job market - we work in accounting which is in all companies we just like a strong consistent job market

Large or medium sized cities

Home purchase price no more than 400k for a decent 3/2 home that wouldn't need a lot of any upgrades no more than 30 minutes or so outside of the core of the city

Prefer a city with things to do such as festivals/events hosted by the city, museums, etc

Nearby nature a plus but not a requirement

Thanks for offering your suggestions!! Willing to hear cities that meet some but not all of our requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 06:13 PM

706 posts, read 515,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf123 View Post
Hi,

Just looking for some reccomendations on cities I can begin researching for a potential move down the road. Trying to find some middle ground my for my husband and I. One of the biggest areas we disagree on is weather. Please throw out your suggestions based on the below - we know we'll have to compromise a somewhere.

Weather - I hate long stretches of hot he hates long stretches of bitter cold. Not interested in Washington, Oregon or Colorado. I also prefer a place that has some snow annually

City with a lot of jobs/stable job market - we work in accounting which is in all companies we just like a strong consistent job market

Large or medium sized cities

Home purchase price no more than 400k for a decent 3/2 home that wouldn't need a lot of any upgrades no more than 30 minutes or so outside of the core of the city

Prefer a city with things to do such as festivals/events hosted by the city, museums, etc

Nearby nature a plus but not a requirement

Thanks for offering your suggestions!! Willing to hear cities that meet some but not all of our requirements.
Depending on what you consider hot and cold (25-100 F), based on your list requirements, you may want to look into Albuquerque. If you have a degree in the accounting field, the job market can be pretty good. It even has your "plus".

If you find that too cold still, there is also El Paso, TX.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Thanks. Thanks a place I've never considered. I will look into it.

Too hot to me is - 85+ for more than just 3 months give or take. Never lived in dry heat so maybe I could handle it better than humidity? I'm from Florida and HATE the weather.

Too cold - well he's from Boston and hates that it's cold through May. I think length of cold is actually a bigger issue than temperature.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:49 PM

56,846 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Pittsburgh?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,480,774 times
Sacramento, CA

Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 AM

3,338 posts, read 1,674,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Pittsburgh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sacramento, CA
Pittsburgh immediately came to mind. Relatively moderate as far as extreme weather. Good COL. Good surrounding outdoor options, and solid economy. Sacramento seems like it could also be a good option to fit your criteria. I've never been there, but have heard it has very moderate weather and lots of natural beauty. Not sure about COL, but I've never heard of it being super expensive. The last area that came to mind was the Raleigh-Durham, NC region. Moderate weather, good COL, outdoor activities, and good economy.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:56 AM

4,327 posts, read 921,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sacramento, CA
OP prefers a place with some snow. It's extremely rare in Sacramento, but the mountains are nearby.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the input. I've heard great things about Pittsburgh. Need to do research Sacramento and the weather - ultimately one of us will have to compromise somewhere.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 AM

21,233 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Pittsburgh immediately came to mind. Relatively moderate as far as extreme weather. Good COL. Good surrounding outdoor options, and solid economy. Sacramento seems like it could also be a good option to fit your criteria. I've never been there, but have heard it has very moderate weather and lots of natural beauty. Not sure about COL, but I've never heard of it being super expensive. The last area that came to mind was the Raleigh-Durham, NC region. Moderate weather, good COL, outdoor activities, and good economy.
I would also recommend checking out Columbus OH. It's often overlooked for some reason but also fits the OP's criteria with a rock solid economy with good jobs and a reasonable cost of living.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 AM

5,722 posts, read 8,790,829 times
I'd think someone named surf123 would want to be near the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.