U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 AM

73 posts, read 55,748 times

Advertisements

You will not find paradise in any of the areas touted as "best place...." as the huge influx of disenchanted people coming in the area will eventually destroy whatever was initially good about it! I suggest going to an area NOT on these list.
I moved to Sarasota in 1983 before it made any list. By 1986 it was showing signs of distress and I moved to Ocala,Fl. By 1999 it too was beginning to be overtaxed.
I moved to Jacksonville for a job and this place is terribly congested now.
Out of curiosity I traveled to Greenville, SC to see if the hype met reality.
I found the traffic to be very chaotic for a city that size. Small roads, untimed lights, bad drivers, clogged interstates, some only 2 lanes each way.
It will take years to fix these problems.
I see this epidemic of wanderlust a sign of the further breakdown of a society where the family unit is not cohesive , where jobs are not evenly distributed, where peoples psyches are so disturbed that they believe a climatic change will be the answer to their ennui.
When you live in an area natural attractions loose their impact due to the brains function of blocking out common sense data from consciousness.
When I was in Washington State this happened after 7 days. Here in Florida I barely pay attention to the Ocean. The humans natural habitat is one of change and moving to areas of greener pastures.
This natural tendency is arising in full force due to societal stressors.
So be forwarned: Unless you live in a horribly unlivable climate your chances of satiating this wanderlust is low, as the urge will reappear again and again.
Now-to all the haters and deniers out there: your denials don't change anything about the nature of the human. Have at it!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:50 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
So because you can't find your "place," based on personal criteria, you're extrapolating that this unhappiness will affect everyone else?

Old 11-28-2015, 12:36 PM

350 posts, read 466,109 times
Similar to how popular attractions around the world (especially in this era of the Internet) are "loved to death"

Old 11-28-2015, 01:39 PM

I'm not looking.I moved to places for school or jobs.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:49 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I moved to Portland, OR in the late 70's and what happened there is just what the OP described. I move there from Chicago because I was looking for a fresh start and found it.

After thirty six years of living there, Portland no longer suited me so I moved again. But that's okay, times change, places change. When I moved to Portland it wasn't on anyone's radar so I did not move there because it was hyped as it is today. I would never make that mistake.

A year and a half ago, I relocated from Portland to a nice inner ring suburb of Cleveland to which people are not flocking. If, in another thirty six years, my new city becomes as Portland has, I will not be around to experience it since I will soon be 70 years old and it's doubtful I would be around in three more decades to see it. So I'm good for now.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:21 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
I wanted to leave home because I wanted something different.

More than a decade later, I finally realize that all I really wanted was home with different weather.

You can't have it all, they say.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Default You are a smart person

You are a smart person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I moved to Portland, OR in the late 70's and what happened there is just what the OP described. I move there from Chicago because I was looking for a fresh start and found it.

After thirty six years of living there, Portland no longer suited me so I moved again. But that's okay, times change, places change. When I moved to Portland it wasn't on anyone's radar so I did not move there because it was hyped as it is today. I would never make that mistake.

A year and a half ago, I relocated from Portland to a nice inner ring suburb of Cleveland to which people are not flocking. If, in another thirty six years, my new city becomes as Portland has, I will not be around to experience it since I will soon be 70 years old and it's doubtful I would be around in three more decades to see it. So I'm good for now.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Problem is we can't fly!

Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
There is nothing new about wanderlust. Without it, we'd all be living in Kenya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or