U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 04:48 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times

Advertisements

I would also say Syracuse is the closest semblance to Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 PM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would also say Syracuse is the closest semblance to Springfield.
I don't know if this is the case, but Syracuse does have a couple of "company town" suburbs. With that said, there isn't anything on par with Holyoke.

Perhaps Allentown/Bethlehem in PA could be considered as well.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,031,104 times
Yeah, I would agree with Syracuse being pretty similar. Syracuse has a slightly better downtown with the Armory Square district, but Syracuse is probably a little more "post-industrial" overall. The big thing that sets Syracuse apart is it's relative remoteness tucked away deep in Upstate NY (4.5-5 hours from NYC). Springfield is on the outer edges of the North-East Megalopolis and only 25 miles or so from Hartford CT, not to mention being only 1.5-2.5 hours from Boston and NYC. Syracuse doesn't really get as much Bos/NYC migration spillover as you see in Springfiled/or Eastern PA. Most prominently with the recent growth in the Hispanic population.

Scranton Pa is a little smaller, but is also somewhat similar. Really all the old mid-sized industrial cities are pretty similar: great old bones and some recent downtown revitalization, but lots of blight from de-industrialization and suburbanization.

Albany, Harrisburg and Allentown are also pretty similar, but they have more of the Mid-Atlantic rowhouse city feel.

Last edited by jpdivola; 12-02-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I would agree with Syracuse being pretty similar. I think Syracuse has a slightly better downtown with the Armory Square district, but Syracuse is probably a little more "post-industrial" overall. The big thing that sets Syracuse apart in my book is it's relative remoteness in Upstate NY. Springfield is on the outer edges of the North-East Megalopolis and only 25 miles or so from Hartford CT, not to mention being only 1.5-2.5 hours from Boston and NYC.

Scranton Pa is a little smaller, but is also somewhat similar. Really all the old mid-sized industrial cities are pretty similar: great old bones and some recent downtown revitalization, but lots of blight from de-industrialization and suburbanization.

Albany, Harrisburg and Allentown are also pretty similar, but they have more of the Mid-Atlantic rowhouse city feel.
I think the fact that it is about an hour or two from 2 or 3 1 million person metros/regions and is in a region with over 1 million people keeps it from being isolated.

Also, Syracuse has a college town section within the city close to/within the core that Springfield doesn't have or at least to the same degree.

Downtown Syracuse also has Hanover Square and Franklin Square, which is where many of the Downtown festivals are located.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,031,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the fact that it is about an hour or two from 2 or 3 1 million person metros/regions and is in a region with over 1 million people keeps it from being isolated.

Also, Syracuse has a college town section within the city close to/within the core that Springfield doesn't have or at least to the same degree.

Downtown Syracuse also has Hanover Square and Franklin Square, which is where many of the Downtown festivals are located.
Yeah, don't mean to imply Syracuse is isolated like a western city. But, Syracuse is within 2.5 hours of Buffalo, Rochester and Albany. Springfield is 2.5 hours from Albany, Hartford, Worcester, New Haven, Providence, not to mention Boston and NYC. Heck, Springfield is even closer to Philly than Syracuse is to either Philly or NYC.

I guess I think of the NE as (roughly speaking):
1) core NYC, Bos, Philly (and their CSAs)
2) periphery: the close by MSAs in the megalopolis: NJ, Eastern PA, Lower NE, and maybe the Hudson Valley up to Albany.
3) Interior: Upstate NYC, Western PA, northern NE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

I agree the University and the Giants/Yankees fan base provide Syracuse with a bit of a NYC connection, but it isn't as strong as Springfield, where it is much easier to do a day trip/weekend getaway into NYC/Bos and there is more spill over migration. In that sense, I would say Springfield MA has more in common with the Eastern PA cities which are not to far from Philly/NYC.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Driving from I-91 up from I-91, it's nearly continuously developed from the coast (New Haven) until 10-15 miles north of Springfield. There's nothing similar Syracuse, and section of the Hudson Valley between NYC and Albany are much more rural.

Worcester is part of the Boston CSA but feels a bit outside the Northeast Corridor, but not as peripheral as spots further out.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Driving from I-91 up from I-91, it's nearly continuously developed from the coast (New Haven) until 10-15 miles north of Springfield. There's nothing similar Syracuse, and section of the Hudson Valley between NYC and Albany are much more rural.

Worcester is part of the Boston CSA but feels a bit outside the Northeast Corridor, but not as peripheral as spots further out.
I don't know about Worcester/Hartford feeling outside the North East Corridor, both are on I-84 route from NY to Boston which is the most direct way to get from New York to Boston

Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don't know about Worcester/Hartford feeling outside the North East Corridor, both are on I-84 route from NY to Boston which is the most direct way to get from New York to Boston
True, but I-84 is relatively undeveloped.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, don't mean to imply Syracuse is isolated like a western city. But, Syracuse is within 2.5 hours of Buffalo, Rochester and Albany. Springfield is 2.5 hours from Albany, Hartford, Worcester, New Haven, Providence, not to mention Boston and NYC. Heck, Springfield is even closer to Philly than Syracuse is to either Philly or NYC.

I guess I think of the NE as (roughly speaking):
1) core NYC, Bos, Philly (and their CSAs)
2) periphery: the close by MSAs in the megalopolis: NJ, Eastern PA, Lower NE, and maybe the Hudson Valley up to Albany.
3) Interior: Upstate NYC, Western PA, northern NE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

I agree the University and the Giants/Yankees fan base provide Syracuse with a bit of a NYC connection, but it isn't as strong as Springfield, where it is much easier to do a day trip/weekend getaway into NYC/Bos and there is more spill over migration. In that sense, I would say Springfield MA has more in common with the Eastern PA cities which are not to far from Philly/NYC.
How far is Springfield from Philly? Philly is about 4 hours from Syracuse. Syracuse is about the same from NYC and Boston, as well as Toronto and Montreal.

I agree that the Eastern PA cities are very similar and another reason I say this is the more notable Puerto Rican/Hispanic community in Springfield and Eastern PA cities.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:57 AM

Springfield is about a 4hr15min hour drive, 240 miles. Syracuse a slightly shorter distance but maybe 45 mins faster of a drive. With traffic, difference even greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or