U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 AM

3,319 posts, read 4,246,706 times

Advertisements

Are there any great urban areas in your state where I could easily live without a car?

I currently live in Youngstown, Oh. and donít drive because of a disability. Our local transit authority will be trying to pass a sales tax this march to continue service in this area. If the tax doesnít pass, and service is discontinued, Iíll need to move.

Hereís a little about me: Iím an architect in my early 30's. Iím single, and have no children, so schools arenít a big concern for me. I prefer older neighborhoods. (Pre-1940's) Iíd like to live in an area where I can walk to restaurants and shops, and take a bus/train to work. (If I canít walk there, too.) I also think I'd like to avoid the huge cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.

If this post looks familiar, I started off by making a new post in many of the state forums, but was told to stop, and ask here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 AM

943 posts, read 164,217 times
Portland has extensive transit, light rail, street cars and buses. It will get you where you want to go in most areas. I would not call it rapid transit by no means but it is extensive and runs 7 days a week until very late. I use transit several days a week, I especially like the fact the train goes right to the airport terminal where I work. My only problem with this system is it is not used enough by commuter type people. There are way to many rowdy types and people that do not pay fares which is very unfair to people that do. The transit company is well aware of it but does very little to correct the problem. Otherwise it is a decent system for really what is a small metro area. You could definitely live in older neighborhoods or more modern ones in Portland and have access to transit and live without a car.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM

7,518 posts, read 14,704,238 times
You can live without a car in any city, no matter what it's size.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM

1,140 posts, read 3,187,345 times
I definitely think Portland sounds like it would be a good fit for you. Not many smaller cities in the US have great public transit.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 AM

6,444 posts, read 8,996,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You can live without a car in any city, no matter what it's size.
Hmmmm...

You COULD. Some cities make it pretty tough.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:17 AM

1,505 posts, read 3,613,954 times
Hmm.. well how about Atlanta? Its got the Marta, and COL is fairly affordable. I never took the Marta myself, but knew many people that did and it seemed to be pretty good.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,784,649 times
A lot of cities have public transportation. How about St. Louis? The Metro is pretty new and seems to work pretty well. There's the MetroLink (train) and the MetroBus. The MetroLink is $2 each way last I checked. And there are older neighborhoods that still have old houses in good shape. The city metro is about 2.8 mil and the city is about 350k. The public schools aren't great, but obviously that's not an issue for you. There are lots of places to eat and shop. Italian food on The Hill. You could probably find just about any kind of food you'd want in St. Louis. The city is known for Toasted (Fried) Ravioli, Gooey Butter Cake, Ted Drewes Frozen Custard, and thin-crust pizza with provel cheese (Imo's is good).

Here's some Lafayette Square:

Soulard

Downtown
http://www.valdorephoto.com/images/gallery2/d/4322-1/SaintLouisMissouriApril2007+555_A+copy.jpg (broken link)

Moderator cut: no links to similar forums please...against the site TOS

Houses and condos are pretty affordable in St. Louis. You can usually have a nice downtown condo for $175k or less, and a house probably also. Here's some maps of MetroLink's services: System Maps (http://www.metrostlouis.org/MetroBus/SystemMap.asp - broken link)

Last edited by da jammer; 02-03-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 2,642,493 times
New York, Chicago, DC, Boston, Philly

Old 02-03-2008, 01:42 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,919,355 times
Minneapolis has pretty reliable service in any older neighborhood. Metrotransit runs some buses on a 15 minute, hi-frequency schedule. The light rail connects downtown, city neighborhoods, the airport and Mall. More lines are planned. Some areas have better service than others, but about 15 to 20% of people in Mpls. proper do not have a car (from what I remember hearing).
metrotransit.com

Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM

50 posts, read 115,388 times
I'd shoot for NYC or Boston, but both can be quite expensive. Unfortunetly, I don't know enough about Portland to say whether its a good idea or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.