Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can people aged 30+ enjoy big city life?
Yes 67 94.37%
No 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:38 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not that 30's is old, but what I'm getting at is that big city life tends to appeal to and attract 20-somethings. So, I am just curious if people in their 30's, 40's and older can enjoy or prefer big city living. The whole idea of big city living seems to be marketed to young people. But at the same time, there are many young people who prefer quiet, suburban living.

Also, one of the reasons I'm asking this is because I have not lived in a large city since I was 23 and now I'm 31 and concerned if I'm going to be too old to move to a city like Chicago, Philly or DC, since I'm looking for jobs in those places as we speak.

What do you think?
Center City Philly, and adjacent neighcpborhoods, has tons of empty nester people(Boomers primarily)and even elderly people. I'm one of them. We love city living. And, factually, today's seniors, in Center City Philly, were the ones who kept the area viable and attractive enough that it was poised for all the positive things that have happened over the last 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:01 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
There are plenty of empty nesters pushing urban development in cities across the country. Those are the two demographics that are driving infill and urban revitalization. But, I'm sure you know there are others (albeit in smaller numbers) who enjoy big city living as well. It's not impossible to enjoy raising a family in such an environment.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:52 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Yes, many people 30+ years or much older enjoy the city life, myself included. Also, i know young families who love raising the kids in the city, and families who only hang in the burbs.

Its all a matter of your desired lifestyle. I'm a city person and miss the amenities of the DC area (and hope to get back there). You have options and can shoot up 95 and hit a bunch of cities/states with tons of culture/amenities/beaches.

The areas you applied for work are nice, and you'll never be bored.

Enjoy the journey.
Cool. I was never a big city person really, but I would not live in the urban core of the city. I would just live in the outskirts. Nonetheless, I will continue applying for jobs in NYC, Philly, DC and Chicago.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The title of this thread "Older people over 30" caught my attention. The thought that younger folks think 30 is old really took me off guard . The answer to your question is yes, some people even at an advanced age like 40 or older still enjoy urban living. lol I don't live near a real big city so my opinion may not count for much, but I know that some senior citizens even enjoy the amenities of the city. Also cities like Chicago or DC have plenty of suburbs for those who don't like the density of big city living. I would check cost of living before moving to any coastal city. I would be willing to bet that Chicago is cheaper than is DC, and that will matter for your quality of life.
30 is old until you get to about 28 and then you start realizing there is still so much you have to do before you hit it and not enough time to do it.

30 is a huge psycological barrier. Our twenties are about finding ourselves, having fun, enjoying life, having new experiences, etc and urban living goes right along with this. Our thirties are supposed to be about setting down, getting married, raising a family, settling into boring routines, and living the traditional American Dream(TM).

Old 12-06-2015, 11:42 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
I agree with an above post. I live along Route 95 between Boston and Providence. Much of the real estate market in both downtowns is being driven by empty nest near or past retirement folks. They are selling their over-sized colonials out in the burbs at considerable gain and exchanging them for smaller condos in the city. Those that are not yet retired like no longer having a hellish commute. All of them love having amenities like restaurants, shopping, culture, and entertainment within walking distance of home.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:47 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
As one ages, I think it can actually be a benefit to living in a city (better transit for elderly, better medical care, etc)

Old 12-06-2015, 12:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not that 30's is old, but what I'm getting at is that big city life tends to appeal to and attract 20-somethings. So, I am just curious if people in their 30's, 40's and older can enjoy or prefer big city living. The whole idea of big city living seems to be marketed to young people. But at the same time, there are many young people who prefer quiet, suburban living.

Also, one of the reasons I'm asking this is because I have not lived in a large city since I was 23 and now I'm 31 and concerned if I'm going to be too old to move to a city like Chicago, Philly or DC, since I'm looking for jobs in those places as we speak.

What do you think?
Nah... after 29, you're pretty much only suited for the farm.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:57 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The title of this thread "Older people over 30" caught my attention. The thought that younger folks think 30 is old really took me off guard . The answer to your question is yes, some people even at an advanced age like 40 or older still enjoy urban living. lol I don't live near a real big city so my opinion may not count for much, but I know that some senior citizens even enjoy the amenities of the city. Also cities like Chicago or DC have plenty of suburbs for those who don't like the density of big city living. I would check cost of living before moving to any coastal city. I would be willing to bet that Chicago is cheaper than is DC, and that will matter for your quality of life.
Lol, advanced age of 40.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:07 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Of course so.

Although I prefer suburbs, on the outskirts of large cities myself..
CLOSE to the action but still relatively peaceful.
Totally agree with this! I love the greenery of the suburbs and being able to drive and park comfortably in the suburbs. But being close to the city, you still have access to nightlife, restaurants, and entertainment in the city.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:31 PM

352 posts, read 569,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Totally agree with this! I love the greenery of the suburbs and being able to drive and park comfortably in the suburbs. But being close to the city, you still have access to nightlife, restaurants, and entertainment in the city.
True, and its even better when there's public transportation from the burbs to the city where you don't have to worry about paying for parking, burning fuel, and a ride home just in case you had 1+ too many beverages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.